You're a ********er.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 30, 2015.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is why we need LGBT people as a protected class.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/10/30/3717515/missouri-discrimination-ruling/

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

3. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Works for me.

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

No we don't. They should already be protected just like non LGBT people.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Think of it as penis vacuum.

rdowns could have taken a breath and came up with a more befitting thread title, but sometimes these online news articles get the blood boiling. Especially from lefty websites designed to rile up the base. :)

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    We should consider someone classified as a protected class when they're a minority community facing active discrimination, and should remain as such until it's no longer necessary. As the article illustrates, right now it's kinda needed for the LGBT community.

7. jkcerda, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

WHY? hard to be "equal" when we are continually separated, by adding qualifiers? are the crimes different if you are a straight Caucasian VS a gay minority? we all bleed the same .

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This sounds to me less like discrimination and more like people being jerks to him. Still not okay, but being a "protected class" doesn't seem like it would have helped him.

9. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Yes, there needs to be protection because straight caucasians generally don't face oppression from employers, other citizens or the government itself. That's why racial minorities and non-christians are protected classes, because there's a pretty clear history in this country that they need protected.

There are 32 states where it's legal to fire someone because of their gender identification or being transgender. 26 states, it's still perfectly legal to fire someone for being gay. You cannot fire a person based on race (which includes white) and religion (which includes Christian).

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

How wouldn't it have helped him? The employer would have lost the discrimination lawsuit. He was discriminated based on his sexual orientation and it was well documented. He would have been able to get relief if sexual orientation were a protected class along with race, gender, and religion.

Making sexual orientation a protected class would have been the silver bullet needed in this case. Hopefully this is addressed by federal legislation in the near future.

11. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

If the straight Caucasian were fired for being straight or Caucasian, that would be equally wrong and they would be equally protected by making sexual orientation a protected class. It wouldn't only protect gay people, it would protect straight people too. Just because one of those groups needs protection more than the other, doesn't make it any less equal.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet people don't treat other people the same. That's the telling lack.

BL.

13. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

But they're not...

For the record, in my state the employer would have lost this lawsuit. Sexual orientation is a protected class here. Which for me is critical. I honestly wouldn't move to a state where I can be fired for being gay and I pity any gay people who are forced to live in those states because of circumstances outside of their control.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

this guy was harassed, we have laws against that already.

15. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

No. He was discriminated against in the work place and fired for his sexual orientation. That's beyond harassment, it's discrimination. But discrimination based on sexual orientation is legal in his state. You honestly don't see the issue here?

16. edk99 macrumors 6502a

In Florida it is perfectly legal for an employer to fire you for absolutely no reason at all. Of course if there is evidence that you are being fired for one of the federally protected classes or characteristics then that is illegal. So if you are gay, I fire you and there is no evidence, documentation or witnesses and so on, you are SOL no matter what you may think you're being fired for. Same goes for a straight caucasian christian.

17. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

If he refiles his case in federal court, he will likely win. The Federal courts will likely consider discrimination based on sexual orientation akin to sex discrimination. That's the route I would have went, not sure why he bothered with state courts in Missouri.

18. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

So just because someone can do it and get away with it if they hide it good enough, it should be legal? Let's legalize everything!!

Looks like the court in this case agreed that his discrimination was well documented. The employer wouldn't have gotten away with this if sexual orientation were protected. They were very sympathetic to the plaintiff but their hands were tied by state law.

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I love the way forum spy doesn't censor words.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

regardless of his sexual orientation the man was discriminated against, are there no laws that deal with the discrimination he suffered?

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

The Democratic Agenda:
    More Government
    More Taxes
    More Government
    More Taxes
    Destroy the Republicans They're The Enemy!
    Put That Women In The White House!

22. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Nope. Cold hard truth

And this was actually a very sympathetic panel of judges, if they found a possible way to offer him relief under the law they would have.

23. jerwin macrumors 65816

We can't protect 100% of the people all the time, and so society has prioritized the people who don't identify as LGBT.

Most lives matter!

24. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

....?o_O

Feel better about your life now?

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So everyone Is. Equally screwed? Work on laws that apply to EVERYONE equally. You can get supoort there