"You're a nut job." "Oh yeah? Well why don't you die quickly?"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, well, if you're in Congress you probably shouldn't base your speech off bumper sticker slogans.

For someone who supposedly heads the party, Steele seems remarkably aware of what is happening to it. He's got enough nutcases in his own flock to worry about without calling out some Times columnist.

Such is the level of discourse among our elected officials nowadays.

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Anyone else think it's quite ironic that Republicans are upset over Grayson's remarks after the whole death panel thing?

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No, its politics. Im pretty sure the dems were criticized for bringing a dumbass resolution for "you lie". Now the repubs will do the same.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They asked for an apology to congress for breaking the decorum rules, its standard procedure.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Standard procedure in a time that more important legislation could be worked on.

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wait, you don't think it's ironic that Republicans are upset for someone saying that their healthcare ideas will force people to die, after they leveled the exact same charge against Democrats with the death panel nonsense? I don't think you understand the definition of irony.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes, that's why we are still talking about. Could we just move on. The Republicans just need to shut up about how there are "bigger issues" then X; because they are making a mockery of being politicians. And the Democrats should figure out whether they want to pass the bill that was supposed to occur in August.

8. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

While I agree with the point the congressman was making, I do think going to such extremes in inappropriate, especially on the house floor. His point could have been made without the language he used.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do you even know how much time was wasted?

I keep hearing this bogus claim from people "they're are more important things to work on" yet they don't seem to know what they are.....

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

there.

I watched the resolution being brought on the floor, they wasted more time then I would have given them if I were paying their salary.. oh wait...

Anything would have been more important than this, they could have contemplated another way to help our economic crisis and failed at it and it would have been a better use of time.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Clearly the time would have been better spent honoring Michael Jackson.

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Don't get me started on the media coverage of michael jackson. :mad:

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That makes this Dilbert seem all the more appropriate.

[​IMG]

14. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Since the Federal Government prevents people from freely buying insurance across state lines it can be said the Federal Government lets people die.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

While I agree that you definitely should be able to buy across state lines (we had the misfortune recently of finding out our families health coverage doesn't cover my sister in college, after she got sick, I'd love to see that as part of the reform) I have to ask yet again, what would the incentive be to keep costs down? At some point they will all hit a level that no company will want to go lower then, and that doesn't mean it will be affordable.

16. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Also you have to consider the possibility of price fixing everyone assumes that American companies operate within a competitive system though history has shown us this is not always the case. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine_price-fixing_conspiracy

Bottom line the only thing that can truly control heath care costs w/o risks of industry price fixing (and other private industry problems/temptatiosn) is government run heathcare that isnt' focoused on profit.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Thats what I was trying to get at, but to be honest, I forgot the term price fixing :eek:

18. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't see what good that would do. Everything is the same in the US. All we'd be doing is making big companies even bigger.

Although you've inspired an interesting thought: I wonder what it would be like if Canada or some other foreign country with a more efficient system and cost controls were allowed to open up hospitals in the US, and their governments were allowed to sell us insurance? Basically a imported HMO.

19. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

This price fixing case is what the movie "The Informant" was based upon fyi. :)

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

As we can see price fixing schemes work out really well in the end... when you are getting fined millions by the US.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yet companies keep partaking in them....

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ive studied corporate cases in quite a few industries, no signs of price fixing in any of the major industries. In fact competition is ferocious as ever.

23. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's hard as hell for the FBI to prove those cases. I highly doubt an amateur studying them could dig up anything.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Proving and being able to see something are two different things. The later is much easier. Its blatently obvious in most industries that there is no price fixing going on.

Most of your price fixing is going to be happening in inputs anyways, we don't really do much of that in the US anymore.

25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

They probably made more than they were fined....so where is the deterrent value?