Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
PHP:
NOTE: The following post is not for the faint-of-heart.  It assumes an open mind, and a passing familiarity with Dorian Gray from "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".  Empires crumble...there are no exceptions.

No trolling - I seriously know why you're disappointed in what you saw. I have not had nor will I have intentions on buying this or any other iPhone...and the reasons are becoming ever clearer to you. IN summary, you are experiencing first-hand the downward part of the so-called "Apple Cycle".

the_apple_cycle.jpg

That's why you're disappointed. I time traveled. I saw the future and didn't like what I saw.

There are only three arguments people have for the iPhone. I will cover each one and where we're at.

1. Apple's Ecosystem. Many people fight tooth-and-nail to state categorically that this outmatches any other. And in truth, if you judge it on quantity of content, it does. If you judge it on quality of content, it partially does. A lot of developers develop for iPhone because everyone else is doing it, not because it's any easier or convenient. The piracy argument can be thrown out there as well, but a simple Google search yields that the piracy affects iOS as well as Android, with a near 50/50 split from developers claiming both sides are subject to piracy. What's the truth? It's software. Software WILL be pirated, no matter the platform. IT happened with every Sony console, every Nintendo console, and every Sega console. It can't be stopped, and you can't use piracy as an excuse. Malware is one area where the iOS might have a leg up, but then proper education about the device negates the risk - don't download stupid.
  2. Build Quality of the iDevices. Some people prefer the glass and metal of the iPhones/iPads/iPods, and that's fine. It's a matter of taste. I wouldn't consider it "better" than plastic or Kevlar or whatever that is on the Nexus 7. We've already seen that the iPhone and various iDevices are just as subject to drop and smash damage as any other phone, so one has to ask themselves just how much this really matters. It's all about visual appeal, I get it. I'm simply saying it doesn't make a device any more or less superior.
  3. Ease of Use of the iDevices. Granted, the iDevices dumb things down enough that even Grandma can pick it up and use it and that's a feather in its cap. But is that really a benefit, or a shortcoming? Playing Devil's Advocate, one might feel it difficult to really find what they're looking for if you're not given at least some barebones stuff. My mother, for example, couldn't figure out how to create a website, despite the fact that just searching "How do I create a website" in Google yields millions of results, not to mention their ISP gives you instructions. Mind you, I created my first website when I was 16 years old and learned JavaScript at 18, back when HotDog HTML Editor was the Bees Knees.

SO what did Tim Cook & Friends give you today? They gave you a device that was incrementally improved, and likely intentionally. It's not because they don't have ideas. Rather, they finally are acknowledging that the iPhone is and has been behind the curve in a number of areas and in desperate need of catching up.

• Data speeds. I don't want to hear about battery. The RAZR MAXX is thinner than the iPhone and under regular usage (Except streaming audio) can last between 15-24 hours and that's on 4G LTE; light usage up to 36 hours. That's assuming you DON'T use WiFi.
  • Screen size. Some would argue that the iPhone's size is perfect for them, and it probably is, especially women-folk. HOWEVER…there are a population of users who want larger screens and don't mind the "stretch". Apple must listen to these users, as I submit they would be the majority, especially as competitors release larger devices over time. And it's not just a taller screen; it has to have general size.
  • Audio quality. I actually own an iPod Touch 4th Gen, only because it integrates with my car's deck, and frankly, the audio fidelity is terrible. It'd do for casual listening, but nowhere close for the type of music I listen to. Considering that's it's primary function it's disappointing. I think Beats is terrible, but even the Zune HD has better audio quality. Finally, Apple has focused more attention on this oft-neglected area.
  • Microphones. Adding noise cancellation and filtering microphones to the iPhone 5 screams of "me too" functionality. It's almost like to date, they focused on everything BUT calls and now that Tim Cook's in charge it's like "oh crap, it's a phone, we better do something!" Why wasn't this always there?
  • Maps - so yeah, you can make the case that the map functionality was always in Google Maps but not the Apple version, and you can point fingers all day long, but was this really an oversight or another case of "they don't really care about that feature"?
  • Siri enhancements - but did they essentially look at what Google Now does and program Siri to do the same thing? Sports scores?

I have gone a step further and I have already time traveled again to parse out some of the given responses for you, to save you from having to post them.

"Well, if Steve Jobs were around..."
"Apple does not cater to the minority who want ______"
"Nobody needs..."
"You're getting an AWESOME device, so what if it's not what you expected?"
"People's expectations were too high, it's their own fault."
"I blame the leaks! Steve Jobs would never have allowed them!!!"

For any that I missed:

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
I agree with you, the only reason I'm upgrading is for LTE. Everything else is minimally important to me. However there are still improvements to be made in my opinion. The iPhone will be around for several years to come.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It still doesn't explain the initial disappointment that occurred with the iPhone 3G and 3GS, before competition had much time to catch up.

I think it's just the unrealistic expectation people have each time a new iPhone is released, as the disappointment goes away shortly thereafter.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
It still doesn't explain the initial disappointment that occurred with the iPhone 3G and 3GS, before competition had much time to catch up.

I think it's just the unrealistic expectation people have each time a new iPhone is released, as the disappointment goes away shortly thereafter.

The problem with the 3G is that it functionally did not appear much different than the iPhone 2G. It was even more incremental in the users' eyes than the 3G-3GS.

The 3GS suffered from the lack of a redesign. It simply made no sense to release a device that, fresh off the heels of the 3G and its lack of real visible improvement, was not very much different from its predecessors. Plus, didn't I read somewhere that one of those three iPhones required payment for upgrades through iTunes? Charging for phone firmware and operating system is a recipe for disaster. I think the sameness of iOS is also not doing Apple any favors.

Apple's problem is, and I think the real disappointment source here, they are expected to lead, follow, or get out of the way...in that order. They haven't "led" since the iPhone 4. People are expecting them to see what the competition is doing and surpass it. They haven't done that; thus people are up in arms. It's no longer easy to justify the premium.

If Apple were smart - and I truly mean this - they would figure out a way to get webOS and integrate it into iOS.

rushluvr

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Phones like the Galaxy S3, Note, One X etc...werent out a year ago. They have set the bar very high for what consumers now expect. Competition is MUCH stiffer and a ton of iPhone users have switched to Android in the last year. Thats evident in the huge marketshare gains Android is seeing. Most of those arent first time smartphone buyers, those are former iphone and BB users switching over. Not to mention the economy and the iphone 5 is a damn expensive phone.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Thats evident in the huge marketshare gains Android is seeing. Most of those arent first time smartphone buyers, those are former iphone and BB users switching over.

Last time I checked Gartner's statistics it seemed those moving to Android mainly came from Symbian and BB while IPhone users seemed pretty loyal to their brand.

Takashi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
Last time I checked Gartner's statistics it seemed those moving to Android mainly came from Symbian and BB while IPhone users seemed pretty loyal to their brand.

The iphone users are loyal because of all the $$ they spend on the stupid apps. If they jump ship to Android they will have to pay for everything again. It's not rocket science, you know.

iMichael!

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
I love the new design and everything of the iPhone 5 and cannot wait to unbox it.

And agree 100% with you.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Wirelessly posted

You missed one. I already have everything I need with my iPhone and have no reason to look elsewhere. Apple nailed this by releasing the iPod touch and embedding users even before they purchased an Apple phone. Perhaps a Mercedes model is better than my BMW, but why should I care.

You missed another one. One-handed operation. This may have become a catch phrase lately. But it's more than that. Perhaps you don't have kids. Perhaps you don't use your phone one-handed. Perhaps you have really big hands. I'm concerned the 4" iPhone may already be too large. I would rather keep the 3.5" and further reduce the overall size of the phone.

Investment in software and peripherals. I don't care to pay for some of these things again. I don't particularly care to set up another OS right now. It's the same reason I still use a pc and not a Mac.

Explain to me what I'm missing by not getting an Android and I'll consider it. I would appreciate this accompanied by a matching phone recommendation with a screen under 4". Seriously!

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
If Apple were smart - and I truly mean this - they would figure out a way to get webOS and integrate it into iOS.

Your comments are great, except for this last one. webOS is the DOS Command Prompt, like AppStore is to Windows. It is outdated technology before it was even released.

The biggest thing threatening Apple is performance and usability. They can innovate, but if you innovate without performance and usability, you end up making things that people don't want. The competitors seems to have a better gauge of what makes a product good, and copying them. Apple seems to innovate then forget to improve on their innovation, and instead try to keep innovating in areas that are not what the consumers want.

Take a history lesson. The NeXT was overpriced (not what the consumers want). It used re-writable optical drives (poor performance). It also took away the floppy drive (what the consumers want) too quickly. So there were no easy way to sell or buy software. You don't innovate yourself to bankruptcy, but that seems like what Apple can do. The iPod was not that successful. It only became successful, after iPhone and iPod touch came out. The success they did was the touch screen (which, like the Apple Macintosh graphical user interface), provided innovation that consumers want. What consumers don't want is overpriced poor performance stuff that is not usable. NeXT, Apple Lisa, Newton, etc. All expensive, and mostly poor performance in one way or another.

Microsoft will now copy iPhone, like they copied Macintosh with Windows, then get the manufacturers to mass produce at cheap price and high performance, with better usability. What will Apple do? It will repeat. Macintosh loses sales to Windows.

What Apple needs to do is simply start competing, not just innovate. If they are hoping they will find the next best thing before being eaten alive, they will get eaten alive.

Lets take screen size for example. There must be one uninformed person or two in the company that measured the size of the thumb and think that is the max width of the screen. Without any usability testing.

If you look at the Jonathan Ive video on *****apple.com, go to pause it at 3:01 and 3:16. Notice the index finger is at the middle of the phone in the back. In that relaxed position, your thumb can reach 5.5 inches diagonal. That is the way people hold their phone, dropped low, so your thumb does not have a hard time reaching the right edge. Because of bad usability testing, all iPhones are now limited to width of your thumb, and you are stuck with 3.5-4 inch screens. Limiting battery life (small enclosure size). Limiting usability. Limiting gaming, and web-browsing potential. Just like the insistence on re-writable optical drive and no floppy drive limited the NeXT. Apple will spiral downwards like how Macintosh did. The Macintosh was released near 1985. Windows was released in 1990. From then on, Apple spiraled into near bankruptcy. That was 5 years of joy for Apple. The iPhone was released in 2007. It is 2012. Windows 8 is now released. 5 years has now passed.

Is Android relevant? Yes and no. Android is relevant because tons of manufactures are able to come to market with faster performance and better screens and at cheaper prices that the consumers want. It is not relevant because of slow Java. It is the same insistence on slow Java on Android that will limit Android. Google should just make Android+ that allows pure C code everywhere in the OS, and let Java be an optional install. You will find people will run away from it in droves once they see the improved performance in C or assembly. But because Google is also stubborn, they will learn their lesson too, like Apple will in the VERY near future.

webOS is garbage. Everyone wants fast performance apps. Java failed because of performance. It requires 2x memory. 10x cpu performance just to keep up with regular C. Which is why native sdk was release for Android, which bandaged the problem, but does not solve it. Even with 4 core CPU of Samsung Galaxy S III, flipping through screens on it is slower than a lowly iPhone 3GS because of that slow java. webOS is like Java but even worse, html interpretation is even slower. Dog slow. So slow apps on it will be a laughing stock.

So going forward it is a competition between Windows 8 and iOS. Both allow C code (fast performance). Apple will win if they simply open up their App development by giving away the SDK, making submission to App Store free, and don't charge to get people to put apps in the App Store.

As of now, the Windows 8 has cheaper Windows App Store submission and retention in the store prices. But it is still more expensive than Android. If Google gets rid of Java in Android, then Google will win the smartphone race, hands down. But because of the Java handicap, they will lose. Microsoft may win this race again (repeat of history), because Apple just doesn't get the consumers. Google almost got it right with the hardware, but totally lost it in the software front.

Most people buy windows machines to play AAA games, because OSX is too slow. The hardware can only entice you for a while, but after looking at it a while, it is the software that binds you to the machine. So paying so much attention to the bezel so that it deters you from what the consumers really want (a bigger screen to operate the software) is such a waste that I think it is so sad Apple will fail again to Microsoft because they are so pig-headed.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
The iphone users are loyal because of all the $$ they spend on the stupid apps. If they jump ship to Android they will have to pay for everything again. It's not rocket science, you know.

Yet again, numerous surveys seem to indicate IPhone users seem more satisfied with their choices than other users. People that feel they are locked in seldom expresses any satisfaction, so it does not appear the loyalty is all about $$ .

Regardless why they stay, fact still remains, while Symbian and BB users tend to move to Android in large quantities, same can not be said about the iOS user base if statistics can be trusted. Remains to seen how the future will turn out.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
OP, that was a brilliant dissection and pretty much agree with everything.

The other thing I don't like is that Apple's roadmap is too rigid. They need to shoot higher on each release, not hold so much back for the 5S next year.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I think build quality is not really a matter of taste. I usually do not drop my phone and if I would, I would not be surprised if it breaks (any smartphone with a screen).

But if it is made of plastic that get's scratched or damaged by daily use (like the 3G I had) that is bad. And Aluminium unibody for most part sure is something I find appealing, regardless of liking the design or not.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Your comments are great, except for this last one. webOS is the DOS Command Prompt, like AppStore is to Windows. It is outdated technology before it was even released.

webOS is garbage. Everyone wants fast performance apps. Java failed because of performance. It requires 2x memory. 10x cpu performance just to keep up with regular C. Which is why native sdk was release for Android, which bandaged the problem, but does not solve it. Even with 4 core CPU of Samsung Galaxy S III, flipping through screens on it is slower than a lowly iPhone 3GS because of that slow java. webOS is like Java but even worse, html interpretation is even slower. Dog slow. So slow apps on it will be a laughing stock.

Ignore apps. I'm sick of hearing about apps. UX (User Experience) is what matters.

webOS destroys literally every mobile operating system in three things: Multitasking, UI navigation, and open standards.

It's multitasking that Google, Apple and Microsoft have all failed to get right. Google is the closest especially with Jelly Bean. But even it fails compared to webOS. Your comments tell me that you haven't experienced much of webOS because all you're caring about is apps. Apps don't matter if you can't get the basic experience right (which is where Google has had issues, until Jelly Bean). webOS 2.0 was a step in the perfect direction until HP screwed it up, marring it with piss poor hardware and no future.

UI navigation on webOS is way more fluid than any OS I've used. Microsoft Windows Phone 8 is the closest. iOS has too many buried menus and even Jelly Bean has too many taps and presses to do simple tasks. Again, apps don't matter if it takes an Act of Congress to even get to the app you want.

None of the others came close on open standards. Palm was the first to introduce the Mobile Hotspot before 4G arrived, and it was FREE, unencumbered by the carriers. Just turn it on and use it. It was hindered by the fact that Verizon has the second worst 3G of all of the carriers. But it was FREE. Standard microUSB charging, Mass Storage capable, and Touchstone charging support literally paved what should have been the way for all phones to go. None of this iOS nonsense where it won't charge via USB under certain instances. None of this iOS and Android nonsense where they refuse to do Mass Storage mode. None of this Windows Phone nonsense where you're forced to use a sync app to do anything.

If you take the underlying directions of webOS and couple them with the ecosystem of Apple, you then create the innovation and evolution people are lacking. iOS still doesn't have real multitasking; it could stand or a kick from an OS that got it perfect. As far as open standards, people have been dishing on Apple about that since the first iDevice hit the market. Seeing them move in such a direction would actually get people interested in Apple again, and despite what the Apple shills would say, wireless charging IS the way things need to go. They're the perfect company to lead that initiative since nobody else is doing it, at least not right.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Is Android relevant? Yes and no. Android is relevant because tons of manufactures are able to come to market with faster performance and better screens and at cheaper prices that the consumers want. It is not relevant because of slow Java. It is the same insistence on slow Java on Android that will limit Android. Google should just make Android+ that allows pure C code everywhere in the OS, and let Java be an optional install. You will find people will run away from it in droves once they see the improved performance in C or assembly. But because Google is also stubborn, they will learn their lesson too, like Apple will in the VERY near future.

http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I gave my inlaws an HP Touchpad when they were on closeout. I played with it for a few days, setting it up for them, and I fell in love with WebOS. I still think about how gorgeous and intuitive everything about it was. Too bad the tablet itself was chunky and under spec'd.

Bigcclass09

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
Ignore apps. I'm sick of hearing about apps. UX (User Experience) is what matters.

webOS destroys literally every mobile operating system in three things: Multitasking, UI navigation, and open standards.

It's multitasking that Google, Apple and Microsoft have all failed to get right. Google is the closest especially with Jelly Bean. But even it fails compared to webOS. Your comments tell me that you haven't experienced much of webOS because all you're caring about is apps. Apps don't matter if you can't get the basic experience right (which is where Google has had issues, until Jelly Bean). webOS 2.0 was a step in the perfect direction until HP screwed it up, marring it with piss poor hardware and no future.

UI navigation on webOS is way more fluid than any OS I've used. Microsoft Windows Phone 8 is the closest. iOS has too many buried menus and even Jelly Bean has too many taps and presses to do simple tasks. Again, apps don't matter if it takes an Act of Congress to even get to the app you want.

None of the others came close on open standards. Palm was the first to introduce the Mobile Hotspot before 4G arrived, and it was FREE, unencumbered by the carriers. Just turn it on and use it. It was hindered by the fact that Verizon has the second worst 3G of all of the carriers. But it was FREE. Standard microUSB charging, Mass Storage capable, and Touchstone charging support literally paved what should have been the way for all phones to go. None of this iOS nonsense where it won't charge via USB under certain instances. None of this iOS and Android nonsense where they refuse to do Mass Storage mode. None of this Windows Phone nonsense where you're forced to use a sync app to do anything.

If you take the underlying directions of webOS and couple them with the ecosystem of Apple, you then create the innovation and evolution people are lacking. iOS still doesn't have real multitasking; it could stand or a kick from an OS that got it perfect. As far as open standards, people have been dishing on Apple about that since the first iDevice hit the market. Seeing them move in such a direction would actually get people interested in Apple again, and despite what the Apple shills would say, wireless charging IS the way things need to go. They're the perfect company to lead that initiative since nobody else is doing it, at least not right.

you see this is what happens with promising technology, if the masses arent ready for and they have something that they can handle and are contempt with they cast the prospect aside, this is why webOS died out, it didnt matter that the iphone was lacking the features that palm incorporated in their phone, people didnt want that, they wanted the iPhone, the same thing can be said about the first tablet, the world wasnt ready for it, then the ipad get released it starts that tablet storm, plus to be honest the palm phone was dying and just the shark trying to wow people back when apple had people dazzled with the iPhone

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
you see this is what happens with promising technology, if the masses arent ready for and they have something that they can handle and are contempt with they cast the prospect aside, this is why webOS died out, it didnt matter that the iphone was lacking the features that palm incorporated in their phone, people didnt want that, they wanted the iPhone, the same thing can be said about the first tablet, the world wasnt ready for it, then the ipad get released it starts that tablet storm, plus to be honest the palm phone was dying and just the shark trying to wow people back when apple had people dazzled with the iPhone

People went to the iPhone for its appearance. Period. At the time, it was the most physically attractive device being sold. Palm phones were blatantly ugly as was pretty much every single Android device, every single Windows (HTC) device, every single BlackBerry except the Pearl, which people were already tired of. I don't credit Apple for that. I credit boredom and stagnancy in the hardware industry.

I'm one of the select few who remembers "The Spikes". Phones that, for the time, dominated sales.

• - Any Nokia phone (except the N-Gage), because of the removable faceplates. And because their call quality was unmatched.
  • - The Sanyo SCP-5000, because it was one of the first color phones.
  • - The Sanyo SCP-6000, because it was the thinnest phone.
  • - The Motorola StarTAC, because it had a "Cool" factor to it.
  • - The Nextel i95cl, because there wasn't anything you couldn't customize on it.
  • - The original Sidekick, because Paris Hilton told you it was cool to have one.
  • - The various Motorola RAZR flips, because...well, who knows. Besides call quality and stability.
  • - The Palm Treo 600, I never did find out why it was so popular. I simply remember there was a high market for them on eBay years ago. Even at full retail price. Of course that was when eBay was good.

The iPhone takes its place among The Spikes because it came out at a time when there really wasn't anything better out there. By the time Palm started to get its stride it was already too late. Plus as was noted, every single device was underpowered and simply unattractive; both the Pre and Pixl had keyboard issues, and the Touchpad was just downright slow and bulky. But the feature set was WAY ahead of its time. If they'd had a form factor like Samsung started to do, I honestly believe we'd be seeing webOS devices today. I still believe that with open webOS we still will, eventually. That's when people will see what could have been.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Someone has way too much free time.

That said, if I had the 4S, I would not have upgraded. Not enough of a change to make it worth it. Coming from the 4, there was a little more incentive.

Bigcclass09

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
People went to the iPhone for its appearance. Period. At the time, it was the most physically attractive device being sold. Palm phones were blatantly ugly as was pretty much every single Android device, every single Windows (HTC) device, every single BlackBerry except the Pearl, which people were already tired of. I don't credit Apple for that. I credit boredom and stagnancy in the hardware industry.

I'm one of the select few who remembers "The Spikes". Phones that, for the time, dominated sales.

• - Any Nokia phone (except the N-Gage), because of the removable faceplates. And because their call quality was unmatched.
  • - The Sanyo SCP-5000, because it was one of the first color phones.
  • - The Sanyo SCP-6000, because it was the thinnest phone.
  • - The Motorola StarTAC, because it had a "Cool" factor to it.
  • - The Nextel i95cl, because there wasn't anything you couldn't customize on it.
  • - The original Sidekick, because Paris Hilton told you it was cool to have one.
  • - The various Motorola RAZR flips, because...well, who knows. Besides call quality and stability.
  • - The Palm Treo 600, I never did find out why it was so popular. I simply remember there was a high market for them on eBay years ago. Even at full retail price. Of course that was when eBay was good.

The iPhone takes its place among The Spikes because it came out at a time when there really wasn't anything better out there. By the time Palm started to get its stride it was already too late. Plus as was noted, every single device was underpowered and simply unattractive; both the Pre and Pixl had keyboard issues, and the Touchpad was just downright slow and bulky. But the feature set was WAY ahead of its time. If they'd had a form factor like Samsung started to do, I honestly believe we'd be seeing webOS devices today. I still believe that with open webOS we still will, eventually. That's when people will see what could have been.

we agree on that point then, side note my friend had a pixi i thought the iphone keyboard was small until i saw that phone

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
.....I'm not disappointed, I'm quite happy with it, but nice try in your attempt to apply this to everyone.

cotak

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted

You missed one. I already have everything I need with my iPhone and have no reason to look elsewhere. Apple nailed this by releasing the iPod touch and embedding users even before they purchased an Apple phone. Perhaps a Mercedes model is better than my BMW, but why should I care.

You missed another one. One-handed operation. This may have become a catch phrase lately. But it's more than that. Perhaps you don't have kids. Perhaps you don't use your phone one-handed. Perhaps you have really big hands. I'm concerned the 4" iPhone may already be too large. I would rather keep the 3.5" and further reduce the overall size of the phone.

Investment in software and peripherals. I don't care to pay for some of these things again. I don't particularly care to set up another OS right now. It's the same reason I still use a pc and not a Mac.

Explain to me what I'm missing by not getting an Android and I'll consider it. I would appreciate this accompanied by a matching phone recommendation with a screen under 4". Seriously!

1) If you haven't looked and try you don't know what's out there. How do you now there's nothing you'd want? I can think of tons of stuff that's superior outside of iOS. Top of the list is widgets. I have my work calender right there on the screen no need to bring up an app I can scroll through my up coming appointments and meetings. The Task switcher in ICS and JB is way way better. Easy fix for Apple to implement now that they have this extremely long screen. Just take a row of soft buttons which are much more intuitive than the double tap method iOS uses. Most of the "new" in iOS are basically just catch ups. Panorama is one of those things that a media/experience centric company should have been the first to implement. I know there were apps but how do you think App developers feel when Apple keeps shutting them out of the game if their work prove popular?

2) 1 handing my Galaxy Nexus all the time when I am on the subway holding onto a handle. I am asian and I have small (compared to big Gweilos) hands. My wife's also asian she has tiny hands and she one hands her Gnex as well. The whole 1 hand use thing is a red herring from people who haven't actually given it a chance. If you can 1 hand use the iphone you can 1 hand use most of the bigger Android or windows phones. At first you'd feel weird because the dynamics is different. But trust me give it a week and you'll feel right at home.

3) I had reservations about paying for apps again too, till I took a serious look and realize most of my apps are free. And the non-free ones well I hardly used them since they were almost all games I got bored of. Also, turns out there are a lot of free or ad supported apps for Android. I got my 25 dollar credit with the nexus 7 and I have used all of 5 dollars for games. Otherwise we have pretty much the same apps or same function on our Android devices as are on our iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.