Youth unemployment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, May 22, 2012.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well first off don't blame me, I'm retired. :D

One of the major factors complicating this, at least in Europe, is that governments are making people work longer for their pensions.:(

With the economies of most of Europe in recession, this problem is not going to be easy to solve.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its rough out there, and a lot of the older generations don't understand how the market is these days. My fiance's brother got his first job recently at 20, and he's been trying to find something since he left high school.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I feel terrible for young people just getting out of school. Most companies are looking for experience these days. I got laid off in February and started getting interviews right away. I was back to work in a month. It was pretty easy, given all my experience.

But to just be starting? Wow, it's got to be hard right now.

6. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I actually think its worst when you're in the between phase of new grad and less than a few years of experience. I graduated college in December 2009, found an amazing job that I started about 4 months later and I've been here since. Now that I've got about 2 years of experience and I'm trying to move on to bigger and better things I'm finding I'm over qualified for entry level jobs at places I'd like to be or I'm just slightly under qualified for that next level. I was recently denied a job over a new grad because they were afraid I was too ambitious.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Yeah that is the truth. Why pay for a new grad when you can hire someone with some experience for the same price. It is ****ed up right now. The place I just got hired at just hired 4 people all of us have some experience that is relevant to the job. It is entry level. I have the least experience but I bring in experience from my other career fiend and have a rare degree combination that is very useful to the company

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

Shocked it's only 13%. It's terrible in many Middle Eastern countries (see: Arab Spring for instance), it's terrible in PIIGS, probably not fantastic in most European countries, and quite poor in the US as well.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This. I'm in this boat right now. And I was actually turned down and given the same reason as you. All the companies are looking for senior level positions. Which is strange because I would think they'd promote from within and look for replacements for the entry levels.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably because the Chinese and Indians, who between them make up 35% of the world population, have done a good job.

If you don't keep them in work then the pensions aren't affordable.

Its not a zero-sum game anyway.

11. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Yep. It's been almost 8-months post-college graduation and after 80+ applications I have yet to even get a walk-in interview. Recruiters wont even spit in my direction.

12. MorphingDragon, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I feel bad for my Uni friends. They will struggle to find a Job just because they don't happen to know the right people.

I've given up trying to find jobs through ads ever since I was a Teen. Employers didn't care if you are competent, intelligent, had SOME relevant expereince or had a good work ethic, they just looked at your age and pushed you aside. Now I treat every conference and joint copmany outing as an opportunity to improve my job network. The only time I've been using job ads is for applying to overseas internships. Even then I somehow know people that work there.

13. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Certainly the employment situation for graduate applicants is dire down here as well as the global one. However it's just not the diploma applicants, but in NZ there is the socioeconomic and the ethnicity of the job seeker too. This must also be a worldwide situation. It's not only the unemployed youth, but the somewhat older folk that have been made redundant as well. I do not see things getting any better in the for seeable time frame either.

KGB:(

14. hafr macrumors 68030

First off, when someone retires it doesn't mean that a position opens up, so the argument loses a bit of its validity there. Secondly, european pension systems were formed in a time where fewer people became old, meaning that it's unsupportable to have people stop working at 50-55 and have their pensions payed for by those working, there need to be a switch from the current system to having people take a private pension savings account.

Actually, one of the major factors causing high youth unemployment is the switch from the primary and secondary sectors to the tertiary, together with the fact that so many people seem to think that higher education is higher education is higher education.

15. MorphingDragon, May 23, 2012

MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Not with National running the show we wont. National doesn't think of the long term benefit for New Zealand. I see nothing wrong with most of their policies, but selling the Assests are a bad idea. It's a short term solution with no follow up plan.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Fantastic you seem to be an expert on everything.:rolleyes:

http://www.pensionsworld.co.uk/pw/article/pension-reform-going-dutch-1238281

If our system is so bad why is it being recommend to the British.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Agreed. I have plenty of experience in the IT field and tried recently to switch to software development after finishing college for it and got absolutely nothing job wise for 6 months. I had to resort back to IT jobs (and even those are getting tougher to find.)

Thankfully I had 10+ years experience to fall back on to land a new IT job.

18. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I'd rather be unemployed and on the benefit than be in IT again.

Yea... It's that bad in NZ.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It figures that right after I get ready to start yet another IT job I get TWO job offers for software development :mad:

Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly grateful that in this age my skills are in demand, its just a bummer it didn't happen two weeks sooner :(

My IT jobs generally aren't too bad anyway, I rarely deal with end users as far as fixing goes. The most I see them is when I do software training for new pipeline implementations. (Like when we introduced Mari into the pipeline at my old job, I trained everyone on the basics then Digital Tutors did the rest ;) ).

20. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

How come working in IT is worse than being on the benefit? Are the wages lousy or is it the 60-hour-weeks?

21. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I can't speak for Morphing Dragon but the trend in general is both lousy wages (unless you get lucky or do some higher end stuff) and the users.

22. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

In managed IT you get treated like dispensable filth by your managers and no Business is big enough in NZ for IT to be fun and challenging. It's a boring monotonous mess that makes even the most bright eyed, bushy tailed person depressed.

People's immediate reaction to something going wrong is to blame you, you did everything wrong apparently and its all on your shoulders. You get the full blast of their emotions and you're expected to take all of it by your Senior Engineer then he gets all the credit when it gets fixed.

It ****ing sucks.

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

The worst is getting a non-IT boss who doesn't understand computer systems :eek:

My friend is in that position. He is literally doing the work of 8 people, working 65 hours a week and getting paid for 40, and has to support...get this...DOS systems! The company doesn't want to spend money to upgrade systems (but doesn't realize once those systems go there won't be replacements!).

IT when its good can be really good, but sadly like you pointed out, its often bad :/

24. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

At University I am working as the IT Administrator for my Dad's law-firm, it's not bad but it's not great either when compared to what I do best. It's heaven compared to Maclean IT though.

25. shinobi-81, May 23, 2012

shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

If you don't have better protection than that (i.e. against the wrath of the users) by those who take the credit, then I understand why you'd rather be on welfare... and by the way, it must be some great welfare system you have there in NZ ;)