YouTube 720 and 1080 lag, brand new MBP?

rmbrown09

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Seattle
So I think this has something to do with the 10.6.3 update but I'm not sure.
I use CXG to play games sometimes, and my framerates have been cut in half.

when I play videos on YouTube, 320 and 460 work fine, but an HD settings causes the video framerate to suffer awfully.

I can play DVD's fine though, popped in the Hurt Locker and I can play it full screen just fine.

Is this an Open GL thing? how can I roll back an update or figure out what's up.

Edit here is what activity monitor says when I play my Video at 1080
Safari itself seems to lock up

LesQQmorePewPew

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
might be an issue with flash. There's beta testing for GPU accelerated flash if you visit their website.

I've been using it without any problems.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
If you wait for a Youtube video to load completely when viewing in full HD it'll stop any framerate problems. This is more a problem with Flash than your MBP; it just sucks the life out of your processor while it downloads.

rmbrown09

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Seattle
If you wait for a Youtube video to load completely when viewing in full HD it'll stop any framerate problems. This is more a problem with Flash than your MBP; it just sucks the life out of your processor while it downloads.
perhaps but I used to watch HD just fine while still DL'ing.

here at work I have about 7mb/s down

at home the same thing happens but I have about 30 mb/s

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Everybody knows flash blows on OS X. ♪ That's just the way it is ♪. I could never play 1080p video on my machine but much crappier computers with substantially less horsepower running windows can do the job flawlessly (so can I in bootcamp).

This is because Apple doesn't give Adobe access to the GPU for processing (like they have for windows).

rmbrown09

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Seattle
But guys by lag I mean like 1 FPS
here is another MBP i brought out to see if they are the same, (both spec'd at 2.8ghz 15")

One on the right (not the problem one) runs 1080p not smooth, but much smooth-er.

:(

Going to try chrome now
Edit: same thing. Maybe it's just a YouTube HD thing because they just changed everything with YouTube's Layout, maybe they changed codecs?

rmbrown09

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Seattle
GREAT SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!
switched to the HTML5 beta for YouTube (www.youtube.com/html5)
and now I can play 1080p smooth as BUTTTTTER (and it's crisper!!)

and look half the CPU consumption too.
OMFG WIN

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
GREAT SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!
switched to the HTML5 beta for YouTube (www.youtube.com/html5)
and now I can play 1080p smooth as BUTTTTTER (and it's crisper!!)

and look half the CPU consumption too.
OMFG WIN

Congratulations, if you hadn't noticed, flash does not work well on ANY platform, especially OSX. I was amazed at how much better HTML5 was when I switched months ago.

reallynotnick

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
man I hope implementation on HTML 5 speeds up
I do too as most videos do not support HTML5 on their site yet.
I have found the Flash 10.1b3 has made Flash videos a little more usable on my machine, I can watch 720p videos without huge problems. It took my CPU load from about 80% to I think 55%, it's been awhile but I know it was about 25% less.
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

rmbrown09

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Seattle
I do too as most videos do not support HTML5 on their site yet.
I have found the Flash 10.1b3 has made Flash videos a little more usable on my machine, I can watch 720p videos without huge problems. It took my CPU load from about 80% to I think 55%, it's been awhile but I know it was about 25% less.
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
Thanks for the link, just installed it. Works a bit better or 720p but still unacceptable.

I think flash is one of those things that will never die, at least not completely for a long time. I think right now our best shot and hope is to wish that Flash improves on Osx, rather than just wish HTML5 was bigger faster.

Coldmode

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2010
We can just hope that as many commonly used video sites as possible switch over to HTML5. Flash does the same thing to my MBP; it makes me want to kick Adobe in their collective face.

rmbrown09

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
Seattle
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Apple allow Adobe access to the GPU for open CL in things like Photoshop After Effects, etc??

maybe no