YouTube incredibly slow when connected over WiFi

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by chris4565, Jul 14, 2019.

1. chris4565 macrumors member

chris4565

Hi,

I have an annoying problem and it would be awesome if someone could help me.

The problem is that YouTube is incredibly slow when I'm connected over WiFi on my 2017 13'' MacBook Pro (macOS 10.14.5). It's so slow that I can't even stream videos at 360p sometimes. The problem is more or less just related to YouTube (I just did a speed test and I have 36 Mbps download and 23 Mbps upload speed).

I do NOT have this problem at all when I'm connected over Ethernet and I do NOT have this problem on my iPhone or iPad. It's just on my MacBook Pro.

It would be so great if someone could help me with this annoyance.

Thanks so much and have a great week
    Chris

2. mj_ macrumors 6502a

mj_

3. chris4565 thread starter macrumors member

chris4565

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime I also found a solution that works for me (I just forgot to update this thread :p ): I only get the problems mentioned above when using the 2.4 GHz WiFi network. I now switched over to the 5 GHz WiFi network and now everything is smooth.

4. Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

You are likely getting interference on the 2.4 Ghz frequency. If you live in a densely populated area like a multi-family dwelling (apartment building, condos), there is a high probability that someone else is running a Wifi network on the same or adjacent channel.

You could download a network scanner to identify the culprit but you probably can’t get them to change their frequency. You could simply try another channel. Try Channel 1, 6, or 11 in your Wifi router’s settings. These are the three channels with the least overlap.

Note that other devices use the unregulated 2.4 GHz spectrum and there is interference from things like fluorescent lamps and microwave ovens that you might not be able to avoid.

Moving to the 5 GHz frequency is a great option.

5. chris4565 thread starter macrumors member

chris4565

Thanks for the explanation and tips :)