YouTube Slow? iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Melodeath, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I don't use Youtube on my iPhone 4S all that often, but some time last week I noticed that all of a sudden videos were VERY slow while loading. I was on Wi-fi, all other internet working fine. Same issue when turn wi-fi off. I figured maybe the wi-fi where I was just sucked, but I am now testing at home. Macbook Pro on Wi-Fi network, youtube is perfectly fine. Video starts playback immediately and video never reaches the end of how much it has loaded, so it plays smoothly to the end. My iPhone 4S on the same wi-fi network, repeatedly stops while it waits for the video to load more. In fact, it's working slightly better on "4G" (I'm on ATT) than wi-fi, but still not great.

I have tried restarting the iPhone and it made no difference. Is anyone else experiencing this/have any ideas? I'm on the latest version of iOS 5.1

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Been like that for years.
    On wifi it freezes sometimes and never fully loads.
    On 3G is no probs but worst quality.

3. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honestly it seemed like it was working fine and then all of a sudden, two weeks ago it changed.

4. cynics macrumors G3

I've never had good luck with a YouTube dedicated app. Even on my android tablet it does what you describe quite often. However if I goto YouTube.com (flash) or on my pc it works fine.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'm jailbroken and Protube from Cydia works like youtube should even removes those stupid commercials.

6. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Believe it's something with Google... Worked perfectly on my SGS2, but my Titan works like the iPhone app... Coincidence?

7. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

I always end up having to use m.youtube.com, as the YouTube app can be hit or miss. It tries to stream in very high quality, higher than m.youtube.com (even with HQ checked). Using the website instead is like choosing 480p on your desktop instead of 1080p. Quality won't be as good, but it'll load faster.

For what it's worth, I routinely have to choose 720p or 480p even when on my desktop, for some reason YouTube seems to have issues sometimes.

8. a13x4nd3r macrumors newbie

Youtube dedicated apps always tries to stream at maximum quality, solution is to:

1. Jailbreak, install 3G unrestrictor, put youtube on lists, choose stream quality always medium (works well with my 512 kbps adsl connection)
    2. Use m.youtube.com
    3. Get faster broadband

9. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Yeh I agree, on my iPhones through the years youtube has always been glitchy or slow usually constantly buffering on wifi even on the 4S. Works flawlessly on my GSII. But the one peeve I have for both devices, even after all these years there are so many videos that don't pop up in the mobile version, anything from music videos to whatever, so many times I can type the same exact title and it doesn't show. I was looking up a recipe the other day and it was on my MBP, went to the kitchen and type the same title in on my phone to follow... no go :rolleyes: , or the other night when I went to show a buddy a funny vid and it doesn't show on youtube on the phone.