YouTube via WiFi unbearably slow, 3G very fast

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MythicFrost, Mar 17, 2010.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

When I watch YouTube on my iPhone via WiFi although we have a fast 2.2MB/s download speed, a 2 minute video takes about 4-8 min to load or it stops loading, even if I stand next to our AEBS.

When I watch via 3g although it's more like 200KB/s download speed, it takes 15-30 seconds to load the movie.

Any thoughts why?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's a YouTube bug.
    I got a 30mb connection at home and it's doing the same thing on my 3GS on wifi.

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

30 Megabits or Megabytes per second? 30 MB can download a movie in like half a minute lol.
    Is it a bug in the YouTube app (my guess), or the YouTube site/connection sort of thing? Surely it would be fixed by now.

Unless they don't want it fixed? I could sure chew up a lot of bandwidth on WiFi for YouTube, imagine if it was usable... but on 3G I've only got 2GB a month, kinda makes sense.

4. frontman macrumors newbie

I have always had the same scenario too and am personally very sick and tired of it. Watching a 1min clip on YouTube via home wifi can take 5-10 mins in worst cases, its crazy. Strangely some clips seem to load quicker but I have noticed no difference in performance based on time of day/perceived bandwidth congestion etc. Its just totally, 100% rubbish and I barely use YouTube these days as a result.

3G is quicker, yes, but the image is smaller and pixelated so I tend not to like watching it that way.

5. charltonx macrumors member

The YouTube app on the iphone is pathetic, and the quality over 3G is awful; I share an office with a Blackberry owner and a Nokia owner, both their phones load a video much quicker than mine, the quality is much better, with the Nokia being the best, and they're both on the same network as me so it's got nothing to do with that.