Yuma, AZ declares state of emergency over illegal immigrants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by raqball, Apr 17, 2019.

1. raqball, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019

raqball macrumors 68000

The mayor of Yuma, AZ declared a state of emergency due to a surge of illegal aliens in the community.. He is asking for state and federal assistance.

How many more cities are soon to follow?

Immigration laws need to be fixed and fixed fast......

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/us/yuma-migrants-emergency-border.html

*snip*

In a news conference posted on the town’s Facebook page, Mayor Douglas Nicholls said he was seeking help from state and federal authorities as a result of the “imminent threat” posed by “too many migrant releases into our community.”

“It is something that we need to do to make sure that our community is maintained and that the human rights of all the migrants are maintained and that we have a path forward that respects both,”

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

3. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

The article also says CA is struggling but I doubt they'll admit it..

*snip from link in OP*

California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas have all been scrambling to handle the surge in migrant arrivals, most of whom are coming through Mexico from Central America. The number of families has eclipsed the number that arrived during the last spike, which occurred during the Obama administration.

4. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Just keep them out of Ventura please :D
    --- Post Merged, Apr 17, 2019 ---
    Newsom? He will claim it a win for California and the "Governor" and expect you to handle it for him :rolleyes:.

5. raqball thread starter macrumors 68000

Not really up to snuff on the dude.. Is he wackier than Brown?

6. retta283 macrumors 6502a

retta283

I'm sure the Democrats in CA would take all of them. Might piss off all the residents but that's too bad. Especially the white males. They invaded Mexico to begin with so they are getting a taste of their own medicine.

Joking aside, it's crazy that so many illegals are here now. I've always been for tighter border control. You see how much of a mess it's caused in Europe, so why do the same here? I went to Bullhead Monday and saw a Mexican arguing with a white guy over the rush of illegals and they were cursing a lot... Been seeing this stuff a ton in the past few years.

7. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Not wackier. He has developed a very annoying issue of flipping 180 from his campaign promises and/or taking an issue he doesn't want to be associated with and dumping it on someone else so he can do the "It was me!" or "It was him!" claims.

Example:
    *snip*
    California Proposition 62 in November, which would have abolished the death penalty in the state. The measure was rejected by California voters.

The Newsom does this > https://www.npr.org/2019/03/12/702873258/gov-gavin-newsom-suspends-death-penalty-in-california

https://www.politifact.com/californ...hecking-gavin-newsoms-claims-californias-dea/

That will give you an idea ...

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The left will claim there's no such emergency, carry on.

9. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Suppose I won't be taking the 3:10 to Yuma, I'd find a taco truck on every corner.

10. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Cart. I hear they are all out of trucks. ;)

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Getting ~330 people a day in a place that has only one migrant shelter with a capacity of 200 is a problem, and a 273% increase YoY in apprehended migrants means this problem is a significant increase in 'traffic'. I'm glad to see the mayor is concerned for the care of these people and the community responding with donations. I hope he'll get the funding from the federal government.

It looks like that wall they have south of Yuma isn't working.

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Not the border or fence. The station, processing center, and holding facility are way over capacity.

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, if its in the failing New York Times its obviously fake news.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Let's clarify something. Yuma isn't declaring an Emergency over Illegal Immigration. If you read what the Mayor said it was because of the "imminent threat" posed by "too many migrants being released into" the community.

Travelling to the US, surrendering to a Border Agent, and claiming Asylum Seeker status is not illegal immigration. Nor is being released by Immigration authorities "illegal immigration."

I realise that is a distinction some people might not want to think too much about. Because "illegal immigration" and a "surge in people seeking asylum status" require somewhat different solutions.

14. daflake macrumors 6502a

Nope, it sure isn't, but it they are denied, then they have to leave. If they don't, then they are illegal.

Frankly I am getting tired of them using "asylum" as an excuse. Sure, a handle full might actually have a reason, but most won't and shouldn't be using it. Crime in your country is not a reason for asylum in another.

Frankly the liberals are fueling the fire on that one by telling them to use it.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Sure.

But building a wall, even the biggest, most beautiful wall in the world isn't going to stop them.

And we have a President who has made building a wall (an actual, literal wall, made out of concrete and steel, running thousands of miles long) a centerpiece of his agenda. He shut down the Government for weeks in an attempt to get money for it.

I'll agree that the US (like many other industrialised countries) needs to address economic migration and asylum seeking. But addressing those problems isn't going to be solved by walls.

Migration and asylum seeking can be solved one of two ways:

1) Countries can withdraw from international treaties covering refugees. Repeal and/or change the way domestic law treats asylum seekers

or

2) Take pro-active steps to keep people's home nations stable and prosperous enough that they see no need to flee.

Either one of those approaches (or some combination of the two) are plausible means of solving the problem. Concrete walls are not.

16. daflake macrumors 6502a

Umm, okay. I never said a wall was the solution. Ever.... In fact, I think it is a horrible idea and a waste of money.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Good.

Look, I think even liberal and progressive people recognise we can't have unrestricted economic migration to the US. Liberal and progressive people recognise the strain large numbers of immigrants put on communities all around the country, but especially at the border regions.

And I think the US (and other nations) need to examine current international law on refugees. Which dates from the period immediately following WWII and the height of the Cold War.

But changing law is a matter that requires careful consideration. Not Presidential Diktat. And migration is an international problem. One that requires the cooperation of other nations. Not viewing them as adversaries.

I alluded, in a separate thread, to the role Climate Change plays in migration. But that's not the only thing. One factor not widely recognised is the role that CAFTA (the Central American Free Trade Agreement) had. By allowing US multinational ag. and mining companies access to central American markets, they drove many local farmers out of business.

So: Yeah, Trade policy has ramifications too. But its a bit more complicated than treacherous Latin Americans stealing our jobs and sending us their criminals and drugs.

18. daflake, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

daflake macrumors 6502a

It is a lot more than "stealing our jobs" as you say. It is also a huge financial strain. I knew several people who were in our country illegally who were working the system to get money from them. There are groups of "Americans" who help them do this. I don't care about the jobs, someone will eventually do them. What I care about is my tax dollars (well, not so much right now as I am tax free) being wasted on people who aren't our citizens. We don't even take care of our own people yet we are letting others come in to take advantage of the situation. That has to stop...

As for Europe, I live in it (Italy) and I am well aware of the migrant problem. Guess what? Many here are fed up with it as well and, in fact, they have already started cracking down on it. I was just thinking earlier that I hadn't been bothered while eating downtown where I live. I may have to speak to my neighbor (he is a police officer) and see if they have cracked down on them. Many were annoying begging for money, even while you are sitting there eating and they don't generally take no for an answer. There are others who do street performances and I donate to them as they are at least trying to make a honest living. The beggars here were/are out of control. Hell, I even had one stop me while I was mowing my yard asking for money. When I lived in Germany, there were many migrants getting a nice chunk of money from the government while many of their own citizens were using food banks (something that never used to exist in Germany)to survive.

Look, I am all for folks who want to come to our country and work. However, we have laws that need to be followed and I can assure you that the right is also not against people coming in legally to work. I have, in fact, helped one lady from Mexico work to get her green card (many years ago) by hiring a lawyer for her. She was a friend and I wanted what was best for her. The rules have gotten tougher, but that doesn't mean that people can simply ignore them or try to play the system. What we have happening right now is a huge burden and it needs to stop, wall or no wall.

19. Huntn, Apr 18, 2019

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The Mayor of Arizona is a Republican, but reports are he is looking for a FEMA response. I am more sympathetic to that idea as long as he is not asking the Core of Army Engineers to build a moat around Yuma. :)

For perspective, the only reason Trump declared a Southern border emergency is to support his trillion dollar boondoggle for the win, even sending troops to the border to twiddle their thumbs, but it makes a good show (not really). Surprised he did not make them march up and down the river in formation as a deterrent. When Trump describes an emergency, he couches it in terms of be afraid Americans, not concern for the immigrants. We need a wall NOW to keep the riffraft out! :oops:

Illegal immigration was at a 20 year low (or something like that) and this surge in immigrants appears to be a direct result of Trump’s actions and big mouth for 2 years. “Chaos45” was coined for multiple reasons. He has motivated this rush to the border before the gates close. Btw, I live in Texas, and I’ve heard no concern that amounts to the hysteria that Trump is trying to generate so he can have his political win.

20. daflake macrumors 6502a

That is just part of it. The liberals have also added fuel to this fire with promises of "sanctuary cities" etc... This isn't happening in a vacuum, there are people actively fighting for them and when that news gets back out, they tell their friends.

Both sides have made a mess of this.

21. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

We should be overjoyed that people want to come here, now if Congress and the President would only work together to make it happen in a legal and orderly fashion.

22. daflake macrumors 6502a

Not going to hold my breath. I don't think this would happen no matter who is president. The gap has simply gotten too large.

23. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

It's truly a first world problem, we see it a lot in developed nations, and it sure as hell beats the alternative of people wishing to flee our nation.:eek:

24. daflake, Apr 18, 2019

daflake macrumors 6502a

Yes, but the rules are a complex mess that need to be sorted. Again, most sane people don't have a problem with people coming to our country for a better life, as long as they follow the rules. It's the ones who don't and continue down that path that I have a problem with:

1. Come across the border illegally
    2. Obtain identification illegally
    3. Steal identity to pay taxes (got to have a SSN).

and the list continues. If you really want a better life, then do it the right way and start by obeying the laws that we have. Simple...

That said, our rules are crazy burdening for everyone trying to legally come here and need to be revamped. This is what I agree with you on but I don't think that our politicians even know what working together is and that is what I was eluding to.

25. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I think we mostly agree, I think 80% of the country agrees on 80% of what needs to be done. It's just that politicians live by driving the divide on the other 20%.

Thus we vote for change, out with the old, in with the new, but very little ever changes.

Maybe, someday, someone, or some group will send a rope to Washington. Nothing like a few Congressmen hanging from the rafters to remind people who you work for.