YUP I'm a newbie and want to buy accessories!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by katiecross, Jan 13, 2010.

1. katiecross macrumors newbie

So I know there are a million threads about this but they are all so very inconclusive. I recently got a 15" mbp and I need to buy some things. I would like to buy a case or sleeve, but I don't know which i would like better; any opinion on the speck clear case or the colcosac, its an either or for me even though they are completely different. My 4 year old laptop doesnt have a scratch on it but it is a dell so different material...Also i need to get either iwork or office and I don't know which to get. I mainly just need to write essays and do homework with a word processor and some presentations from time to time. I wouldnt mind iwork if it was easily compatible with other office users. I dont know if I should buy applecare...I'm also not sure if the trackpad on the mbp discolors or anything like the white macbooks. I know this is a ton of questions and like a million questions in one, but after hours on this forum I still need help. Thank you everyone!

2. rlav macrumors member

MS Office, hands down. especially if you are working with other windows users. That way you don't have to worry about compatibility. Also take a look at NeoOffice. I used it for a semester of school, but ended up getting MS office mainly because of the group projects at school, and the need for the formatting to work across many computers.

Don't really know about the other questions.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

A few comments to your questions:

1) I've had a combination of 5 PB (aluminum/titantium)/MBPs in the last 10 years. If you treat them well they will look like new the last day you own them. A sleeve or case is 100% essential to this though. There are all very similar so get the one that has the features you like.

2) iWork is great but if you have to do PowerPoint presentations then might be smarter to go with Office for Students. Most likely the computer at your school has PowerPoint on it, not Keynote.

3) I'm not a big fan of Apple Care - it's an expensive gamble. In my 20 years of owning Apple laptops I've had an out of warranty problem once -- a bad DVD drive. In that situation the credit card I bought the computer with had an extended warranty program and fixed it for me at no cost. Many credit cards have this kind of warranty extension, people just don't know about it. All the other issues I've had with laptops have occured inside the warranty period, as is the norm w/ most electronics. If it doesn't blow up the first year odds are against it blowing up in the next 2. If you do decide to get it look at eBay. Usually you can find it discounted there.

4) Trackpad will not discolor unless you don't wash your hands when appropriate.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Ewwww....

iWork is the pits. Try neooffice - it's free and the controls behave like MS's office.

A hardshell AND a sleeve is the true hallmark of a Mac nut (yes, I have them both myself) :p

5. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

First and foremost; congratulations on your new Mac! Welcome to the club :cool:

I personally use a speck case and have nothing but good things to say. While your Mac will have a scratch or two as time passes, the speck case preents most. Also, the snug fit prevents unwanted bulkiness. Go for the speck; you won't be disappointed.

Get Office. If you're worried about compatibility, don't even bother. Better safe than sorry, right?

Lastly, don't pass on AppleCare. You can't predict the future and as all pieces of technology can fail, protect the investment you shelled out extra money for. Also, phone calls to AppleCare cost $50 (I believe) after 90 days. You could make 7 calls to AppleCare (after 90 days) and have it pay for itself. Don't pass on AppleCare :eek:

Enjoy your new Mac!

Habitus :apple:

6. wickedpapercut macrumors member

wickedpapercut

If money is tight, download NeoOffice first and give it a try. For homework and presentations, it should do the trick for free.

If so, you've saved enough for AppleCare which I think is a reasonable purchase for a portable computer that will get its share of bumps and bounces.

I think iWork is a nice suite of apps but apparently I'm in the minority on that. To each his own.

7. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Definitely get AppleCare. I had a scare with an iMac that ended up with the repairs costing more than the computer did originally (three logic board replacements--the most expensive part!) before they replaced it. Luckily it was still under the 1 year warranty. The day after I got the new one I bought AppleCare for the new one as well as another iMac I had at home. This year when I bought my 13" Macbook Pro, I immediately purchased AppleCare.

Don't buy iWork if you want compatibility. I have iWork 09 and Office 04, and I use iWork for documents that I will use only on my own, but when I have to share something, I will start in iWork then move to Office for final changes. I have heard that Office 08 is marginally better than Office 04, especially on Intel Macs, but 04 was alright. I will not shell out another $150 until the next version of Office. My school uses OpenOffice on all the student-accessible computers and Office 08 on the teacher computers, and there is absolutely no problem with Word and most Excel documents, but PowerPoint documents tend to have a bit more trouble. The same is true for Word to Pages conversion but definitely not Excel to Numbers and to some degree Powerpoint to Keynote.

My #1 recommendation for a physical accessory would have to be an Incase hardshell. I have not used a Speck one, so I cannot speak for those, but they look very similar.

The trackpad is awesome or else I would reccommend that you buy a mouse as well. If you are going to work at a desk though, I would still recommend one and a keyboard. I use a Logitech DiNovo Mac Edition keyboard (has a numerical pad) and a Logitech MX Revolution mouse (no longer in production, replaced by Logitech Performance Mouse MX), as well as a 20" Dell monitor and a Griffin Elevator stand.

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Just to clarify, AC covers manufacturing defects. The Plan does not cover (this is a cut-and-paste from apple):

Damage caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...open office is another free alternative to purchasing a MS product and it works very well IMHOP...

10. dankybear macrumors regular

applecare is neccessary if you plan on reselling. which i always do..!

11. katiecross thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all of the great advice everyone, keep em coming :) I think I will get applecare...its hard to fork over the money for a "what if" but I would be kickin myself if i didnt get it and then needed it...also I am thinking maybe i can do both hardshell and colcosac if i get the 17" colcosac extra room. I already have a juicy couture laptop carrying bag and my northface "bandwith" backpack is for laptops, although there is not much padding between the laptop and my books.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you want protection, don't get a ColcaSac, get a Brain Cell.