Zagg Glass for iPhone 6 Plus 45-day Review, Don't buy!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iamMacPerson, Nov 3, 2014.

1. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I really love Zagg. I really do. I have used them for years with no issues and thought they were always a respectable brand. Unfortunately, it seems the quality has fallen dramatically and even sending an email to their CEO achieved nothing. I had the Glass on my iPhone 5s and I absolutely loved it. So much so, in fact I bought it for my iPad mini so I am in no way a Zagg hater.

Lets start with the good:

• The screen protector is really clear and feels and looks just like the iPhone's display
    • Glass is thin and hardly adds any extra thickness to the device
    • Protector is curved like the glass, although it doesn't match up completely

Now, the bad:

• Glass seems to crack rather easily. I have had it for 45 days and I have already achieved 2 cracks in the glass. Phone was not dropped.
    • Glass doesn't reach the very end of the glass on the phone because of the curved display.

I sent an email off to their CEO and got a response back saying nothing is wrong with the protector and they have no intensions to revise the design. Today (Nov 3) is the last day of my return policy so I am opting to get a refund.

I'd like to hear from others if they have has a similar issue with Zagg Glass cracking. I'll try to post some photos tomorrow. Sucks, I really liked the Glass on my iPhone 5s.

2. bwsteg macrumors 6502

I've had the Zagg since launch and I can assure you that all the issues are based on the users...

Bottom line is, if you have a chip or crack on your Zagg glass protector - then whatever you did that caused the crack would have damaged your actual iPhone 6 screen had the protector not been there...

3. davistld01 macrumors 6502a

davistld01

Pretty much have to agree. I've had the Zagg glass on since the Sunday after the Friday launch date...and have had zero problems. No chips, no cracks and no lifting. As far as the glass not extending to the edge of the phone screen and following the curvature...it doesn't take long to read one of the 1000 threads on the product to get a grip on that issue. Frankly, every one of the so-called "full screen" glass protectors are having a lot more issues than the Zagg has ever had. The Zagg Glass is "case friendly" and can be used in conjunction with practically any case available...and the full-screen guys can't say that.

As far as your produce developing cracks w/o being dropped...it has come into contact with something (keys, change, etc.) that caused the glass to crack. Better the Zagg glass cracking than your screen.

4. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

So - here is the lowdown.

I bought the protector a few days after my phone - and my first one DID crack at the bottom - and here is why.

There is almost NO margin for error in install, because of the curved display. So, if it hangs over on any edge (left, right, top, bottom) that edge will be VERY susceptible to cracks or chips.

I emailed customer support that mine had chipped and was promptly sent a new one - they even waived the fee - I just paid the stamp to return ship it.

my new one has NO issues but I installed it perfectly. I'm happy with the product and their support.

5. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Applied mine 9/25, the day I received the phone. Haven't had any issues with it. This is my first glass screen protector (I've always used Otterbox, which has them built-in) and I've been really happy with it, other than the outline of the protector itself (which you can't do much about) I can't even tell it's there.

They do have the "lifetime warranty" which requires you to pay S&H both ways, comes out to about $7 a pop to replace the glass.

6. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I don't care what happens to mine. If it chips or cracks, I just go back to the kiosk and the guy puts a new one on. Did it this weekend and he didn't even charge me.

7. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Well if what everyone here is saying is true it might be worth it to get it replaced then. As I said I had it for the 5s and loved it but I remember hearing early reports of the protector cracking for no reason.

I will see about taking it to the kiosk soon, not thrilled about having to spend the extra $10 to get it reinstalled when I already paid it. Oh well. We'll see.

8. MushroomJesus macrumors regular

Had the Zagg glass for about 2 weeks now and zero problems at all. If it does crack for no reason, Zagg will replace it for free, just pay for the shipping and handling.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Don't bother. I went through two of them. Same problems, cracking, poor fit etc. Finally went to the HDX version. Not perfect but better. It's a little bit larger, feels as smooth as glass, and is flexible so it can't crack or break.

10. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Would you mind posting a picture of the HDX? I'm reading a lot about it but I am not seeing any pictures. I want to make sure its as crystal clear and as smooth as Glass before I get it.