Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjaffa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Hi all

I got a MBP 17" mid 2010 and immediately stuck a invisishield on it. It has lasted 7 years on the top and bottom, perfectly and has started coming away on the inside only in the last few months.

Anyway - I think this was a great product, very protective, and super slim. Really, really very pleased with this .

BUT

I can't find the product for the latest mac books, in fact it seems Zagg no longer do laptop protection ? I can only find references to out of stick 13" model on amazon.

SO

what is the alternative to this product today?

For those who don't know, this is a very thin (1mm) thick but extremly strong and durable clear plastic that you adhere with water and it prtects from scuffs, scratches, I even dropped a keyboard on it once . I could use it to safely put my cup of coffee on , and I'm sure, that 7 years leater my MBP will look BRAND NEW should I remove it.

Any ideas ?

I don't really want the speck style hard cases they are just so thick.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0167.JPG.jpeg
    713.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0168.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0168.JPG.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 182

bigdogn12

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
Hi all

I got a MBP 17" mid 2010 and immediately stuck a invisishield on it. It has lasted 7 years on the top and bottom, perfectly and has started coming away on the inside only in the last few months.

Anyway - I think this was a great product, very protective, and super slim. Really, really very pleased with this .

BUT

I can't find the product for the latest mac books, in fact it seems Zagg no longer do laptop protection ? I can only find references to out of stick 13" model on amazon.

SO

what is the alternative to this product today?

For those who don't know, this is a very thin (1mm) thick but extremly strong and durable clear plastic that you adhere with water and it prtects from scuffs, scratches, I even dropped a keyboard on it once . I could use it to safely put my cup of coffee on , and I'm sure, that 7 years leater my MBP will look BRAND NEW should I remove it.

Any ideas ?

I don't really want the speck style hard cases they are just so thick.

I've been researching one for my MBP 2016 13". I had one on my Macbook Air 13 from clearprotector.com, but seems their site doesn't exist anymore.

The two options I've seen for the MBP 2016 are bestskinsever and bodyguardz, haven't been able to find any data on comparisons between the two.

macjaffa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
I've been researching one for my MBP 2016 13". I had one on my Macbook Air 13 from clearprotector.com, but seems their site doesn't exist anymore.

The two options I've seen for the MBP 2016 are bestskinsever and bodyguardz, haven't been able to find any data on comparisons between the two.

I've been looking about. It seems the next best thing will be a vinyl wrap. I'm in the UK and https://www.xtremeskins.co.uk. looks about the best I can find. Does anyone have any experience with vinyl wraps in terms of durability ?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
There's a new one called The Emperor's New Case on Kickstarter. Made from the finest invisible materials, will stop bullets and floats in water.

jakespeed

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I have BestSkinsEver on my MacBook 13 2016. Fits pretty well. You can see it a little on the edge (I didn't line it up perfectly) and around the apple logo but you don't notice it unless you look. Go with the matte finish it looks completely original.
IMG_0258.jpg IMG_0260.jpg

macjaffa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
I have BestSkinsEver on my MacBook 13 2016. Fits pretty well. You can see it a little on the edge (I didn't line it up perfectly) and around the apple logo but you don't notice it unless you look. Go with the matte finish it looks completely original.
View attachment 694536 View attachment 694537

I just ordered the gloss kit for my new 15" tbMBP. It seems this is exactly the same stuff as the old Zagg product. Had to get it shipped from the USA but seem to save 10$ if I order from ebay vs their site. (fyi $13.99 shipping to uk)

I'm probably going to sell the venerable mbp 17 so do not need to purchase a kit for that.

I went for the gloss rather than the matt because 1) That's what I have on my old mac and I liked it. 2) they claim it has better grip and I can certainly say that I really like the slightly rubberised, grippy feel of the skin on my old mac so I want the same thing.

The product protects against scratches, dirt and provides a grippy finish that I really like. I probably will only apply top, bottom and wrist like as before, as I really like the glass trackpad and don't want to compromise it. Besides, having used my old mac for 7 years with a bare trackpad, you would never know. It looks new, no wear or anything. It's mainly to protect against anything on a surface as i put it down on, and my watch strap on the wrist rest. I expect It will last the next 5+ years. My current skin still does a pretty damn great job of protection top and bottom and wrist rest, so looking forward to using a new mac with a new skin.

This is a polyurethane product, and the vinyl wraps are 3M stuff -- anyone know if it's the same type of stuff ?

Thanks all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.