Zeitgeist Movie - anyone seen it?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thumper, Jul 2, 2007.

?

How many of you are informed of NWO?

1. yes!!!

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. huh??

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

ModNote™: This thread is now the result of merging several threads together, all of which were primarily discussing this movie. One of the threads was started by a member not eligible to vote in the PRSI. Since his/her post generated numerous responses, however, I've left it in here, even though this user is not currently eligible to reply. I have closed the poll, also started by this user, however, since it doesn't really contribute anything to the thread. --mkrishnan

I just watched this movie called ZEITGEIST: The Movie
    and it just blew my mind.

This is a small portion of the movie that im SURE will suck you in!!!
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZmzf7WiNg&mode=related&search=
    *The full movie is about more then just this topic, but its all linked together
    as im sure most of you thinkers out there know.

if your interested the full video can be watched FOR FREE at their website
    http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

I find it extreamly interesting that they talk about media and entertainment
    as a device to keep us stupid and in the dark.

Lets talk about your thoughts of this get piece of work

2. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I'd watch it but I'm afraid I'll stop enjoying my HDTV. :eek:

3. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

That's very interesting. I'm not sure about some of the information they give, but the presentation (and the amount of information I know to be true) makes it very impressive.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Very nicely put together. Some of it I already knew, other bits were very interesting. I'd never noticed the parallel between the Messiah Joseph and the Messiah Jesus before.

Nice find :)

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

very well done.

clear and direct.

if it checks out, it should be shown as 'introduction to religions' in every class in the country

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Looks like it's working.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Sadly, I've done a bit of digging and a lot of it doesn't add up. But it is interesting as an eye-opener into just how much of Egyptian mythology and astrology has made it into the Bible. There's also the fact right at the end of part III where the filmmaker correctly states that none of the Roman Empire historians of the time documented anybody or any events that tally with the idea of Jesus having existed.

So although it's a flawed piece, it's no less flawed than the document it's concentrating on.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

which parts don't add up? thx

9. Queso macrumors G4

Some of the things they say about Horus for a start. He didn't have 12 disciples and wasn't crucified. He also wasn't the Sun god but the sky god, and wasn't known for resurrection (that was Osiris, Horus' father). Then there's that nonsense at the beginning on the origins of the words sunset and horizon (which comes from the Greek for limit) and I'm also very sceptical about the claim on the Three Kings, Sirius and the 25th December sunrise, since that simply cannot be true for the full 4000 years or so that the documentary is talking about. They even give the reason why in the documentary.

I'd have to watch it again for others, but those are the ones that immediately stuck in the mind.

EDIT : Thought of another one. The zodiacal ages are massively open to interpretation as to when they begin and end. Under the most common definitions the Age of Pisces began in around 500AD and will finish around 2600AD. There is a less well known modern interpretation that backs up the documentary's view, but it seems to me that someone's actually moving things around to match the theory rather than using evidence to prove it.

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

interesting, i was wondering how many of the claims will check out.
    Most seem to be reasonably easy to verify, but i lack the background, and googling around might be hard to separate the objective from the unbiased sites.
    from the cursory browsing, however, it seems that most of what they say, and certainly the main message of a common origin of all the sun-god myths (including jesus) as an astrological allegory, holds water.

oh, and horus was initially the sky god, but then it became widely assimilated to the sun, and even became 'one with the father' in many interpretations (from wiki)

11. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

12. walangij macrumors 6502

This is a fascinating movie, but it should be taken with a grain of salt. Many of the things are commonly quoted falsities, kinda odd that they tear apart Christianity by its falsities/similarities yet have too much faith in their counter-evidence which is proven false too.

At my university, our intro to religion class studied these things in depth. But not this movie. First book we read was the Epic of Gilgamesh, as far as I remember, the similarities the movie cites are quite a stretch. Also read Justin Martyr's writings but currently cannot remember a thing lol, studying the "Moses' Religion is taken from the Egyptians" and that argument, concluded that it is placed at the wrong time period in Egypt for the movie's argument to work (its a common argument). I wish I had my class-notes from the professor and my books b/c we spent a whole semester on these topics. Very convincing movie though.

13. Queso macrumors G4

I'm glad this one came up on my control panel again. I used Stellarium to see about this Three Kings/Sunrise/25th December thing. It's totally without a doubt false. The current celestial layout has Sirius and Orion already set in the west before the sun comes up in the east on that date. And as they are virtually diametrically opposite in the sky on 25th December, you would have to go back to 11,000BC or so before the precession cycle means they do match up. Unfortunately Stellarium is not an easy program to navigate back in time on, so I only went back to AD80 (the time when the Book of Matthew was written) to see whether there was any match up over Egypt at that point. No. No match up at all.

So another "fact" found to be nonsense.

14. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Regardless of factuality, I think some of the ideas this movie sets forth should be shown to everyone in the US.

15. walangij macrumors 6502

I agree, even though there's lots and lots of holes throughout the movie and blatant misinformation given out, it's really good to see these things because it makes you do one thing that people seem to do less and less: ASK QUESTIONS and then find out what is for real and what they believe for themselves. Also it shows how media always has an agenda and is never objective.

In my experiences recently, people just Blah blah blah BS BS BS their opinions and state them as fact b/c they heard this or someone told them or "On Wikipedia it says..." that these people become so sure about themselves and that they haven't been lied to. After watching this, I went to the library, discussed with friends, read. If its one think I can't stand, are people that are unwilling to reason and logically debate without it turning into a flame war/"you are wrong you stupid why can't you see" argument.

(just a note this "you are wrong. . ." argument usually is always from people who defend Bush and his policies (aka any politics) like he's the best thing since rain. But no offense if you think that, as long as we agree to disagree I'm fine, but don't try to makeme think otherwise and tell me I'm stupid b/c I don't change my beliefs)

16. thumper thread starter macrumors 6502

thumper

Critical thinking is something people should do more often.
    I think this movie will help motivate people to look into what they believe in.

17. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I just watched this movie. What did the Christianity part have to do with anything? It seemed like part 2 and 3 went together, but part 1 was just randomly put in to convince you that Christianity is fake? Either way, it was very interesting, since I've never heard that part on Christianity before.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

19. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Go to the main website (link above) - it's on Google Video.

20. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

well that just did a number on my head. The interesting thing is I just learned about all these separate things in school (ap lit/ap world) (minus the astrology). Even how much they were interrelated came up. Its interesting to see them all smashed together.

edit: that was part one.

N. American Union? WTF? Never even heard of it.
    and the 9/11 story is interesting.

I really liked this movie, lots of critical thinking which i like.

21. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Zeitgeist Movie - anyone seen it?

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

I watched this with a friend the other day (it's online, free, you'll need about 2 hours) and found it really interesting. I'm going to say right now: Don't take it too seriously, don't let it get you angry - it's just trying to make us ask questions about the world around us and stop accepting 'what we are told' as fact.

The first segment about religion, particularly Christianity, I found very insightful. The remainder was very conspiracy-theorist, but still very interesting.

Also, there are a few corrections (factual errors in the movie) - see the website for details before posting rants here ;)

Once you've seen it, tell me what you think! Remember, keep an open mind, it's quite heavy but there's no reason why we can't objectively discuss the points raised on the general nature of us accepting what we are told as the truth when we should be asking more questions.

Enjoy!

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Ah thank you, damn forum search. I'm honestly surprised it didn't get more of a reaction given the strong feeling on MR to some of the issues raised, not least the religious ones!

Still, having an opinion first requires watching it, and it's pretty long. Tip: Skip through the first few minutes to when the talking actually starts unless you want to watch the brain-trippy video-to-music stuff ;)

23. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If you search for the movie name on Google Video, you can watch all three parts separately.

I just showed a friend the first part on religion, and while we both agree a lot of the material presented is very sketchy, the basic idea that all religions share the same idea and possibly came from astrology intrigues me. I'd like to do more research into the similarities between religions.

24. zebraman macrumors member

How many of you are informed of NWO?

I saw the Zeitgeist movie like a month ago and ever since ive been really interested in researching this stuff. I would like to know how many people are actually informed of the new world order. If you guys got any interesting comments about it post them up!

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Never heard of them and can't find them in iTunes. Do they have a myspace page I can check out?