Zombie Roll Call.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

As this article shows, groups are at it again using dead peoples identities for write-in votes for the presidential election.

Who here is confident that the election results will not be skewed by fraud ?

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Totally comfortable. Are their local people doing fraudulent things on a small time individual basis? Undoubtedly. Are these small time efforts enough to swing a national election? No. But even if they were, that's why we have people verifying this stuff and having people from both parties looking over things.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

OP: you mean the kind of mistrust generated by the election process in Florida? *cough*

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

5. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Ghouls and trolls.

6. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Until a simple ID is required to vote, the vote will continue to be skewed by fraud.

7. Limey77 macrumors regular

Let's see some evidence that the elections in the past have been skewed by fraud. I'd possibly accept 2000 but anything to offer as proof - or just your general talking point rhetoric.

8. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I think it's common sense that everyone should have an ID to vote.

Do they require an ID in the EU voting (brexit, etc.) ?

9. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Voter fraud without identification of the voter is inevitable.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    Yeah, I have to laugh when people claim an ID is a burden. Only someone interested in allowing voter fraud would be opposed to ID verification before handing someone a ballot. It's a completely absurd position.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

11. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2602775

Next.

Early voting and absentee voting by able bodied people who can walk into the polls on Election Day is absurd. It should be limited to people who can't physically walk into a poll on Election Day. For those who don't have a ton of time (or everyone for that matter), mail them a ballot and they can take two minutes out of their day to stop into their polling place, flash their ID and drop the pre-filled out ballot in a box. If you can't make that simple effort, then maybe you shouldn't vote.

12. Robisan macrumors 6502

The walking brain-dead already get a 27% head start so these seem to be prudent measures to compensate...

13. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

If even a single casted vote is fraudulent, then we need some sort of ID. I don't have to give my ID, just my name, but anyone can give a name and vote for that name if they know who to put.. I still have a deceased relative on the list (it's right next to my name) and even though I have gone through the process of having their name removed by sending a copy of the death certificate, they still fail to remove the name and I have to tell them he is deceased every election!

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

On the last cycle, someone had already signed by my name. It was just a bunch of local issues. The moron poll worker didn't notice someone else had signed on the line for my name and didn't give a **** either. I had to fill out a provisional ballot, which was likely never counted because in most cases, provisionals don't get counted unless a vote is close. This "playing loose" with the vote pisses me off, and I've seen it before. I'd be for biometric verification, but some ******* would sue trying to claim the collection of a thumbprint or a retina scan is a violation of privacy.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The link you cited was already cited earlier. Did you read it before you cited it again? It mentions that it's the right keeping voter fraud alive as an issue and provided a link to a piece in turn citing studies showing that voter fraud is not prevalent; further that the voter suppression laws supposedly targeting voting without proper identification are aimed at a type of fraud that doesn't even exist.

One of the best studies on the subject was conducted by Justin Levitt of the New York University Law School. Its conclusion is simple: allegations of widespread voter fraud are greatly exaggerated.

“Many of the claims of voter fraud amount to a great deal of smoke without much fire…Most allegations of fraud turn out to be baseless—and that of the few allegations remaining, most reveal election irregularities and other forms of election misconduct, rather than fraud by individual voters. The type of individual voter fraud supposedly targeted by recent legislative efforts—especially efforts to require certain forms of voter ID—simply does not exist.”

The creation and propagation of the voter fraud myth, which has gained huge currency in the GOP over the past decade, has been championed by Hans von Spakovsky, a lawyer who is also a fellow at the conservative Heritage Foundation. He was recently profiled by Jane Mayer in a New Yorker piece. His work has spawned numerous new rules in states like Florida and Ohio that not only promote strict voter ID laws, but end up restricting voting in minority-dominated areas. Many of these restrictions are likely violations of the Voting Rights Act, a landmark law that Lyndon Johnson signed in 1965 to end the Jim Crow era, well, until democracy foes like Spakovsky came on the scene.​

16. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Quoted because you want to ignore it. Voter fraud happens all the time. The question is why are people like you trying to excuse it?

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

18. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

More excuses from the anti-voter ID crowd.

A fingerprint costs a poor person nothing. You could even include it with an absentee ballot, scan it, clear it and then scan the separate ballot.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

20. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Thought you guys were big one one person, one vote.

Just more excuses for not doing the sensible thing. Thumbprint scanners and a database costs next to nothing in the grand scheme of things. You register, store a thumbprint in the local registrars database and when you vote it scans your print, verifies it in about 10 seconds and you get a ballot.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

We are big on one person, one vote. So stop trying to suppress voters for no good reason already. Voter fraud occurs in something like one out of 15 million votes. One vote of fifteen million. For this rate of fraud the GOP makes a stink and yet it pursues illegal restraint of voters who are entitled to vote and registered to vote, yet whose registrations are illegally purged from the rolls, or whose registration is made extremely difficult (poor, no driver's license, substitute ID costs money to obtain, etc).

https://www.publicintegrity.org/201...fraud-not-common-recent-voter-id-laws-suggest

22. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Finger print every citizen of legal voting age? Really? You want more government intervention? You want the government to have everyone's fingerprints handy?

SMH

23. Limey77 macrumors regular

As soon as you have that for every single gun sale or transfer then we can talk about it.

Voter fraud doesn't even register at 0.00001%, it's less than the margin of error. It's yet another one of these fake stories to stir up the right so that when they lose there's something to blame other than their candidate and policies.

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

great lets have them on guns too.

25. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah it's not like ID's can be faked.
    Oh....you want THAT kind of ID. I am actually on board with that. India went to every little village in their country and Biometric ID'd everyone. I would love to see that. But first you will have to get your fellow conservatives on board:

• Convince them to spend the money when they don't want to spend money on anything but the military it would seem
    • Convince them that it's going to be a consistent nationwide thing so none of this state's right stuff. We may have to modify the constitution or at least get a court ruling on this one.
    • Convince them it isn't a government plot to track them and steal their souls.
    Good luck. Let me know how it goes. Until then we are stuck with the system we have.