Zombies Would Wipe Out Humans in Less than 100 Days

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 8, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/zombies-wipe-humans-less-100-134700805.html
    Zombies aside, think there might be a virus out there that could severely "trim" our population? we seem to prefer war to make the trims :eek:

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That article/study fails. It doesn't include human reaction at all.

"We have also not included the possibility for the humans to kill the zombies," they wrote.

And in before the guy with the claim anything zombie related is code for white supremacy.

3. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

Haha, we bought those for Christmas gifts last year. They are pretty interesting little books.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Currently no, but there's definitely the genetic potentiality for it already. We just need the proper pseduotyped viruses, but wether it will happen anytime soon is anyones guess.

I am really hoping we will see it in my lifetime - One, because I believe we are killing of the planet with over-population, and two, I am molecular biologist and would LOVE to see the results of such a beast. :D

6. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

Funny, I rented the film Interstellar over the holiday break where a huge chunk of the Earth's population was wiped out due to blight killing almost all food crops except corn, which itself was menaced. Not sure how realistic that part of it was but our dependence on monocultures is a threat.

7. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

That is so morbid :).

If the Zombie Apocalypse did happen, I bet everyone would start supporting the second amendment. The liberals and conservatives could finally be unified on a topic.

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

If The Walking Dead is any indication, I give it two weeks. One week if Fear The Walking Dead is a model for survival.

9. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

If this thing breaks out, I hope I'm the first to go. Living through anything that would even remotely be similar to Walking Dead, I'd rather be out in the first episode.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

This stuff is fascinating but it's not something most of us know a lot about, especially since media like to punch up stuff like "You can beat the flu with these 10 steps to healthy living!"

So can you run by us again how it is that virus replication actually works.... they sort of borrow their hosts' cellular replication frameworks in order to futher their own interests, so eventually destroy the host and must therefore make the hop to a new host before that happens?

When I read (I think) something like that a long time ago I remember thinking well then just sterilize everything and isolate the sick dude and... problem solved. LOL then I get this vision of a tiny virus wrapping itself in something as good as ceramic tile on the nose cone of a NASA spacecraft and saying "yeah, really? Try to sterilize this!"

Aren't there some types of virus that are capable of stopping short of the scorched earth approach to taking over the world, i.e. they can establish variants of a less active form and so be carried by unwitting hosts even unto another generation.

Obviously I am underinformed. I imagine though that what I don't know would make for more exciting reading than some pretty good sci fi, if I could only understand it. Like a lot of us, I hope out-of-control lethal virus scenarios stay localized (the virus failing to make the last hop in time) or else in the realm of sci fi...

11. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Those guys would be dead before it even reached pandemic levels. How many perfectly good defensible positions have they had and lost?

13. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Too many to count.

14. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I have a theory that there is a symbiotic relationship between the current cultural popularity of Zombie movies and TV shows and the obsession of many people with assault rifles.

If you think about it, a horde of flesh-eating Zombies, no matter how improbable, is really the only legitimate target - and justification - for people living in 21st century American suburbia to own a semi-automatic assault rifle. It's clearly overkill for the purposes of personal defense. It's too long and clunky to be much good in a car-jacking, it's rounds travel too far downrange to be much good in a home-invasion burglary. And even law enforcement officers (the object of a decidedly unhealthy, and one-sided, love affair with the Trumpenproletariat) go to prison for blindly taking pot-shots at African-American teenagers fleeing a natural disaster.

But zombies, intent on devouring whatever addled gray matter lurks beneath the trucker hats and combovers of America's firearm enthusiasts? Even I wouldn't hold it against them for squeezing off a couple of magazines of 223 Remington in the direction of the ravaging horde.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]
    Seriously, I love the fact that you continually disparage those that don't follow lock step with your ideology.

17. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

18. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Zombies would not last long.

You won't survive as a species if your primary prey and food supply is also your apex predator.

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Bring on the zombie apocalypse. Those of us without brains have nothing to fear.;) And if Shane of the Dead is any indication, we'll have cheap labor and entertainment after 6 months.;)
    :p:D:D

20. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

You don't need to prepare for anything, FEMA will take care of you.

/sarcasm

21. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

What, kill zombies? That's really zombiephobic of you, remember we are stronger together! :mad:

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I dunno. Personally I think if you give a zombie a plate of homefries and eggs, they convert back to human form and ask for a second cuppa coffee to wash it down. It's cheaper than ammo, too.

When I looked at the linked OP article on the zombie proposition, there were only 2804 comments made after two days. If you say something as a Washington Post writer, you can rack up two thousand comments in 40 minutes by time the liberals and conservatives on there get done astroturfing the place to their mutual satisfaction. And that's no 2A discussion, it can be an argument over something as arcane as a Senate rule.

Maybe most who read the zombie piece realized there were too many assumptions in there and just bailed without comment, even given the later adjustments that tried to make a zombie apocalypse more feasible. Just assuming no particular problem getting to any given object of prey is kind of a fat pitch, no?

Perhaps the students who put the model together have never been off the easy grid of midtown Manhattan. Then I like to cut them loose up in the Bronx sometime without GPS, where if you make a little mistake on an interchange trying for some parkway, you may not get caught by a zombie but you could end up mummified before actually realizing you've been driving in circles without knowing you're lost. I always figured the guy who invented GPS (much much later) was a guy who finally found the Hutchinson River Parkway after drving past the same shuttered KFC seven times in an hour and a half. I pity the zombie roaming around in there. And the zombie hunter as well!

WellSomeplaceAroundHereTheresADiner.jpg

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Nah. Study some monster theory, it's actually a fascinating subject that is gaining some traction.
    In brief the popularity of Zombies is most likely due to a feeling of impotence due to lack of meaning in life held by many westerners (those who also suffer from depression etc.) "We're all like Zombies" etc.
    In a similar vein (no pun intended), Vampires were a reflection of the ideal of a corrupted generation of royals until some idiotic writer decided to make 'em sparkly.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That movie that shall not be name came out. My friend and I were drunk and I suggested we go see the new vampire movie. We did, I fell asleep I woke up at the end with my friend punching me asking me what they heck I dragged them to see. :(

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You have good friends, I would've made sure that you never woke up again... ;)