Zoo submits £70m park proposals

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Jul 17, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Haven't been to a zoo in years, maybe I'll wait some more until 2012 and see if they can pull this off, sounds good :cool:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Are you sure?

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Sounds great! I'd love to be able to visit it when it opens. :) Last time I went to my city's zoo I was depressed, it looked so... sad. :(

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Last proper zoo I visited was Chester Zoo, but went to Knowsley Safari Park a few months back. 'sall good family fun. I'd probably pop round when this new place is built.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

7. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I have lived in Bristol for almost 5 years (now live near Oxford though) and I am still a member at Bristol Zoo. My girlfriend is a conservation biologist and has done research at Bristol Zoo, it is a fantastic place. If you want a zoo that you can comfortably see everything in a day then Bristol Zoo is the place to go. Other zoos, like London and Chester are far too big to see properly in a day (I have been to London Zoo 3 - 4 times in the last two years and I have still not been over the river!).

Now there was / is still some doubt over this wildlife park. About 2 years ago Bristol City Council and South Gloucestershire Council commissioned a report into traffic congestion at Cribbs Causeway (a large shopping retail park just opposite the proposed wildlife park). The report was carried out by Atkins and they suggested a new junction on the M5 for Cribbs only traffic, relieving the current junction that serves both North Bristol and Cribbs. I am scheptical as to how this idea would work, but the proposal would take the road through the proposed site of the wildlife park.

Now Bristol Zoo are aware of these proposals and if the government agree that this road re-development is essential then the land could be bought under a compulsory purchase. The zoo are pressing ahead with work on the new site to increase its value incase the government determines that the new junction is essential.

The other controversy is that the new site is in a conservation area for newts and that habitat will be lost or severely compromised so the zoo are getting their own research staff to study the effects on the newts. It is a bit ironic that a conservation trust is building a new zoo in the middle of a conservation area!

This new wildlife park looks great, I just hope the government don't stop it before it takes shape.