Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rags

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2002
Is there a way I can say... mod the green "zoom" button to make it act the same as the "expand" button on Windows? This is getting to the point of me being really annoyed at my computer, I open an application and it's like OS X or Aqua has a bad memory or something.

Like Safari for example, I position the window so it's lined up on the top left and top right corners of my display and drag it so it fills as much area as possible. The same way as with Windows when you press the "expand" button and the window is "locked" on all four corners fully expanded. What's annoying with Safari and it seems like all apps is when I open them again they're off the side and/or not anywhere near to being close to what I set the position and size to be... everything is "floating" on my desktop and I rather have it locked like it is on Windows or KDE or Gnome.

This seems more like a core design choice than something I can change easily :(

Any help?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Re: Zoom button

Originally posted by Rags

Like Safari for example, I position the window so it's lined up on the top left and top right corners of my display and drag it so it fills as much area as possible. The same way as with Windows when you press the "expand" button and the window is "locked" on all four corners fully expanded. What's annoying with Safari and it seems like all apps is when I open them again they're off the side and/or not anywhere near to being close to what I set the position and size to be... everything is "floating" on my desktop and I rather have it locked like it is on Windows or KDE or Gnome.

safari has a bug in the window location memory...

you can get a fullscreen enhancer for safari from http://www.ambitiouslemon.com

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
the zoom button has been programmed to open the window just large enough to display all the data within. It is not meant to be like the maximise PC button that enlarges to take the whole screen. However, some applications like Chimera do use it as a maximise button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.