Zuckerberg Ally, H1-B Advocate: Laid-off Americans ‘Don’t Work Hard Enough’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Jul 30, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...h1-b-avocate-americans-dont-work-hard-enough/

That's ironic, from entitled millennials. And for a moment, I thought he was the leader of North Korea. North Korea adores slave labor or what is tantamount to it.

But before anyone criticizes the source, here's another:

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...rs-beyond-furious-over-h-1b-replacements.html

Or maybe the workers forced to train their replacements didn't do the job hard enough?

2. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

After everyone going to learn STEM skills in college because they say we don't have the training and are encouraged to get it by these people, then say we aren't educated enough (even the workers who train their own foreign replacements), how many more excuses and one-sided blame games can be made? Nobody will want $60k in student loan debt and more for a $10/hr job despite the responsibilities and value involved at the deflated wages. Out of touch and unrealistic and not sustainable as a real economy.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Exactly, first it was the fact that there weren't enough STEM workers in the US even though there were tons of laid off Americans, now it's that they won't allow themselves to be taken advantage of by companies like Facebook. Congress needs to do two things 1) low cap h1b for tech industry and require stringent hoops to get someone over here. 2) Dump more money into compsci education in HS.

Facebook should have to work harder to import Chinese slaves who will work 120 hours a week.

4. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

Or India.

A coworker who used to do contracting noticed how Indians coming in had nothing but contempt for Americans. Even those giving the Indians free training and other entitlements.

Noting how China has been smashing iPhones, punching people who wear Nike shows, and doing things outside of KFC, chanting nationalism and hating "American" companies even though Nike and iPhones are more Chinese than American according to others (being multinational, the companies might take corporate welfare and tax breaks and entitlements America can't afford but otherwise has no allegiance to this country so why are the Chinese pissed off solely at America? There's glib generalization to a true extreme...)

I also have to remind myself not to believing glib generalizations, but hearing it from the mouth of someone it happened to is admittedly depressing and validates a lot of news articles a lot of people don't know about or believe.

But it's easy to retrain for new fields, whatever and wherever they are, and college has never been more inexpensive according to the gullible who think college and American workers shouldn't be subsidized by tax money yet it's more than perfectly a-ok to fund companies that offshore these jobs while making every half-baked excuse and glib generalization about Americans whose taxes pay for the company's entitlements... But if these people can't figure out what the MSM has posted time and again, then companies are correct in saying Americans do lack critical thinking skills... so oversimplifying things doesn't help...

5. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

I can't speak for you guys in the states but in the UK companies are outsourcing as much of their I.T. and finance they can get away with and as part of the process they are making many of their current (expensive) staff redundant.

I never understand why people/organisations feel the need to lie about this; it is mainly driven by cheap labour costs that's all.

I don't know how this companies particular employment scheme works but unless they are doing something similar to what the Big Four accounting firms do here, which is employ bright school leavers with good grades and 'PAY' them a full wage whilst they study to become fully qualified accountants, they also pay for the course costs which runs into thousands.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Working longer hours, two to a typical household, for less wages than ever....but not working hard enough.

Can we just admit these corporations are just looking for more excuses to profiteer and move on yet? How many more decades of this ******** have to go on before labor understands and rises up?

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I think a lot of the "cheap labor costs" aren't calculated correctly, i.e. don't take into account the knowledge base accumulated by employees with longer tenure. The bosses might scoff at that but even in fairly low level jobs the guy who knows where the plumbing got a code waiver or where the spare parts are for that old sump pump is worth a lot of money when something breaks and there's a foot of water coming for the wall juice outlets.

And that's before you get to the guy who knows where is the last patch to the spaghetti code around some bugs in the aging interface to the packaged payroll system. But they rather fire that guy to save $15k a year? Risk analysis, don't leave work without it.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Wasn't it the top American companies in tech that were colluding to reduce turnover and its resulting higher salaries? Was that before, or during, the H1-B?

9. thekev, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You have problems with spaghetti code? Let's see how well you can code at 2 am after 5 cups of coffee:mad:.

High school is actually a really good place for basic compsci education, because most STEM degrees make use of basic programing skills. It seems like an ideal time to learn it. My high school lacked teachers with enough knowledge in these areas.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I have to agree here. My views on the worker/company relationship have changed a lot over the last several years. I used to be all gung-ho capitalism, work hard, pay your dues, etc, etc. But Ive seen the corporate greed monster at work and I dont like it. They always want more but raises are a thing of the past. We are still over-burdened with too many do-nothing managers & dead weight that they just dont get rid of. They still seem to have plenty of money when they want to spend it but tighten the purse strings when it comes to personnel issues or even spending on business growth.

And of course - the outsoursing phenomenon which usually ends up not working out. No offense but the foreign developers weve worked with(Im in software QA) are pretty lousy at what they do. Their code is crap. Sorry but thats what Ive seen out there. Any cost savings is quickly absorbed by the enornous amount of time you spend chasing down all the bugs and problems. Not to mention the time difference and massive communication problems. Just a bad idea.

The USA should make outsourcing more costly than in-sourcing so jobs stay here. Simply tax the crap out of sending jobs away and make it cost more. Easy.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The H1-B program should be terminated permanently and immediately.