PDA

View Full Version : Will Software RAID on my 2006 MP boost performance?

holyjohn
Aug 27, 2010, 11:34 AM
Hi guys,

I have 2006 MP (1,1) and have SSD as my booting drive.
It's pretty fast but whenever I try to access my other 3Tb internal drives, it slows up a little..

If I set up RAID 0+1 on other 3Tb SATA drives, will my MP see performance boost?

What's your opinion?

Honumaui
Aug 27, 2010, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

I have 2006 MP (1,1) and have SSD as my booting drive.
It's pretty fast but whenever I try to access my other 3Tb internal drives, it slows up a little..

If I set up RAID 0+1 on other 3Tb SATA drives, will my MP see performance boost?

What's your opinion?

you need 4 HDD to do raid 1/0 setups ? sounds like you have 3 ? and in software raid I think you really want them identical drives (some say it wont matter ? I prefer all the same for 1/0)
since it sound like this is what you are doing ?

yes it MIGHT help a bit but make sure you have a BU plan ? it really depends on what you do with your system ? dont expect miracles and depending on your current drives ?
I might ask for others to help more mention what it is you are doing with your computer and what the other files are photos ? music ? video etc.. ? and what programs you use ?

I dont like raid 0/1 (0+1)
I prefer 1/0 (1+0)
meaning you take two raid 1 setups and put them in raid 0

the reason being if by freak chance a HDD dies on each side the 1/0 you are still OK if it was a 0/1 you would be hosed !

nanofrog
Aug 27, 2010, 12:56 PM
Mechanical is slower than SSD, so when you're switching between the SSD and HDD, you notice it.

As per a RAID 10 helping you performance wise, it could for some situations, particularly sustained throughputs (mechanical's not wonderful for random access, especially when compared to SSD).