1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Will Software RAID on my 2006 MP boost performance?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by holyjohn, Aug 27, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have 2006 MP (1,1) and have SSD as my booting drive.
    It's pretty fast but whenever I try to access my other 3Tb internal drives, it slows up a little..

If I set up RAID 0+1 on other 3Tb SATA drives, will my MP see performance boost?

What's your opinion?

2. macrumors 6502a

you need 4 HDD to do raid 1/0 setups ? sounds like you have 3 ? and in software raid I think you really want them identical drives (some say it wont matter ? I prefer all the same for 1/0)
    since it sound like this is what you are doing ?

yes it MIGHT help a bit but make sure you have a BU plan ? it really depends on what you do with your system ? dont expect miracles and depending on your current drives ?
    I might ask for others to help more mention what it is you are doing with your computer and what the other files are photos ? music ? video etc.. ? and what programs you use ?

I dont like raid 0/1 (0+1)
    I prefer 1/0 (1+0)
    meaning you take two raid 1 setups and put them in raid 0

the reason being if by freak chance a HDD dies on each side the 1/0 you are still OK if it was a 0/1 you would be hosed !

3. macrumors G4

Mechanical is slower than SSD, so when you're switching between the SSD and HDD, you notice it.

As per a RAID 10 helping you performance wise, it could for some situations, particularly sustained throughputs (mechanical's not wonderful for random access, especially when compared to SSD).