PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 video card fried (pink display)

Davy.Shalom
Aug 28, 2010, 08:57 PM
I go to football practice, the air conditioner is on, my powermac is converting video. I get back, it wakes from sleep mode, and the display is pink. I restart it, still pink. Five seconds into this post it turned back to normal. The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6600. It is a PCIe powermac G5 dual 2.3 GHz. The graphics card has only a heatsink and no fan, so my first guess was that something fried.

Any ideas?

4JNA
Aug 28, 2010, 09:13 PM
my first thought was display, not video card.

i fix a lot of laptops, and the symptom you described is the same when a laptop LCD screen is going out, or starting to die.

what display are you using, and do you have anything else to test it with?

VanneDC
Aug 29, 2010, 01:57 AM
yeah those 6600le cards are pretty robust, havent heard of many (any) pulling the pin.

Remove, reseat!

see how ya go..

max••
Aug 29, 2010, 07:07 AM
make sure the video cable is plugged in properly this has has happened to me before and the cable wasn't plugged in properly

OrangeSVTguy
Aug 29, 2010, 11:59 AM
make sure the video cable is plugged in properly this has has happened to me before and the cable wasn't plugged in properly

+1 I remember that happening on VGA connected monitors. Would turn the monitor all different colors sometimes.

Davy.Shalom
Aug 29, 2010, 12:56 PM
Well I changed out the cable for another one, and the colors are back to normal. We'll see if it remains this way.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the LCD panel going out, the monitor isn't a well known brand. It's an AOC 20 inch VGA monitor that I traded my friend an old PC laptop for.