Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I don't think that supports journaled HFS+ volumes.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
I'd be interested to see if there are any out there, but I'm doubtful. Mainly because most of the NAS I've seen use some flavour of Linux, and have the internal drive formatted as ext3. Possibly you may find one that can have an external drive formatted as HFS+.

@Prom1 - I don't see anything about HFS support on the Netgear page you posted? Have I missed it?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I'd be interested to see if there are any out there, but I'm doubtful. Mainly because most of the NAS I've seen use some flavour of Linux, and have the internal drive formatted as ext3. Possibly you may find one that can have an external drive formatted as HFS+.

There are some that are supposed to accept HFS+ for external, but not journaled AFAIK.

Anyway, I want it for the internal drive. I prefer an empty case.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

@Prom1 - I don't see anything about HFS support on the Netgear page you posted? Have I missed it?

No you dirt miss anything. It's not listed ad supported. What would happen if you did format the drive would it not behave like an external USB hts+ journaled drive??

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
...What would happen if you did format the drive would it not behave like an external USB hts+ journaled drive??

The problem will be, as I understand it, that HFS is not a native file system for Linux (which uses ext2, ext3 etc.). So, although there are hacks/extensions so that Linux can read a HFS formatted volume, it can't run on it. On the NAs I have, the internal file system must be ext3; it can natively format an external volume as ext3, NTFS or FAT, but not HFS.

Think if it in a similar way to OS X: a Mac can read a FAT volume natively, and can read NTFS with certain modifications, but the boot volume needs to be HFS.

I've probably over-simplified that explanation, and I stand to be corrected on the technical details anyway, but I think the above is reasonably accurate in layman's terms.

However - if the OP wants a way to have an HFS volume on a NAS, then the best way is probably to create a disk image of a suitable size on the Mac, transfer it on to the NAS, and then mount it remotely. I'm not sure how/if journalling works on such a disk image, though.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
The NAS exports the volume as AFP. For it to work, the NAS has to have a HFS+ driver.

The usual HFS+ drivers for Linux do not support journaling. I don't think there is one that does, even proprietary.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
The NAS exports the volume as AFP. For it to work, the NAS has to have a HFS+ driver.

You can export non-HFS+ volumes via AFP, as I've done it with ext3 before. Or are you referring to something else?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
You can export non-HFS+ volumes via AFP, as I've done it with ext3 before. Or are you referring to something else?

I know. I mean that in order to use HFS+ drives in the NAS, this has to have the proper driver, it can't just export it transparently to the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.