PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on the $229 8GB iPod touch Model

RonHC
Sep 1, 2010, 01:07 PM
....I died a little inside

Drucifer
Sep 1, 2010, 01:10 PM
It depends on if it will have all the features of the 32GB and 64GB models. Hopefully it isn't the odd ball out like the 3rd Gen releases.

If it does have all the features people are still better off spending the extra cash for close to four times the storage.

SlovakApple
Sep 1, 2010, 01:13 PM
As I have understood it, it has the same features. Nevertheless 8GB are not that much, I would strongly recommen people to buy at least 32GB. I have a 8GB 2009 model and that is simply not enough

skiltrip
Sep 1, 2010, 01:20 PM
I was gonna get the 8GB for my wife, but for the $70, I dunno, maybe I should just get her the 32GB. I don't get why the heck they wouldn't do 16GB, especially at the $229 price point? Especially with HD video capability!

madmaxmedia
Sep 1, 2010, 01:24 PM
I was gonna get the 8GB for my wife, but for the $70, I dunno, maybe I should just get her the 32GB. I don't get why the heck they wouldn't do 16GB, especially at the $229 price point? Especially with HD video capability!

The $229 model exists simply to get people in the store, to upsell to the $299 model. Apple wants to keep average selling price of iPod line up. If the $229 model had 16GB, a lot of people would choose that.

The good thing is that the new cheap model seems to have all the bells and whistles now, that is a nice improvement over last year.

xxNinjaxx
Sep 1, 2010, 01:24 PM
8GB doesn't have HD Video? I thought it did :(

iPhone3GCrazed
Sep 1, 2010, 01:26 PM
My opinion is, save $30 on initial price, double the storage and get an iPhone 4.

Or, cut the price by $130 and get an iPhone 3GS with the same storage.

theanimala
Sep 1, 2010, 01:35 PM
My opinion is, save $30 on initial price, double the storage and get an iPhone 4.

Or, cut the price by $130 and get an iPhone 3GS with the same storage.

Um, this is stupid. You ignore the fact that with the iphone you are locking yourself into a 2 year contract, costing a lot more than your initial $130 savings.

ECUpirate44
Sep 1, 2010, 01:36 PM

It does?

ColinEC
Sep 1, 2010, 01:37 PM

All the iPod touch models have the exact same features as each other.

lewis82
Sep 1, 2010, 01:39 PM
All the iPod touch models have the exact same features as each other.

Except one thing. The 8 GB doesn't come with earphone with remote and mic.

Other than that, it's the same thing.;)

AAPLGeek
Sep 1, 2010, 01:41 PM
I think its pretty amazing.

iPhone3GCrazed
Sep 1, 2010, 03:33 PM
Um, this is stupid. You ignore the fact that with the iphone you are locking yourself into a 2 year contract, costing a lot more than your initial $130 savings.

A simple "I disagree" would have sufficed.

Here's my thinking: If you already subscribe to a cell phone service, the cost for the contract would already be factored in to a budget, no? But for the data plan, which one may have already.

dhlee528
Sep 1, 2010, 03:35 PM

according to

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?mco=MTM3NTEyOTc

32gb or 64gb doesn't come with earphones with remote

truazn
Sep 1, 2010, 03:46 PM
That sucks it has no flash.

androiphone
Sep 1, 2010, 04:31 PM

hahaha, but only a deaf person would choose to use the apple 'earphones', so for any sane person that is a complete non issue as they will go straight out and buy any old set headphones and just use the built in mic (or just use the headphones they already have and use)

sineplex
Sep 1, 2010, 04:44 PM
I don't get why the heck they wouldn't do 16GB, especially at the $229 price point? Especially with HD video capability!

They know exactly what they are doing by dropping the 16GB out.
They always know what they are doing.

The camera is crap and the retina screen isn't an ips screen like the iphone.
You've a gimped device in a plastic shell. But kids will luv it !!
And Mr Joe Average won't know the difference and will think it's fab!

... and it's all relative really anyway. If you think you're gonna enjoy
the new toys from Steve then "pay up" ! !

If you want good products buy top of the line. i.e. Iphone4.

skiltrip
Sep 1, 2010, 05:27 PM
The 8GB is great for someone who uses the touch primarily has a PDA type device. Sure, 70 bucks is a great deal for four times the storage, but some people simply don't need it.

skiltrip
Sep 1, 2010, 05:29 PM
according to

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?mco=MTM3NTEyOTc

The reason they were included before was that it acted as the mic needed for voice memos and things like that. Now that the mic is built in they don't need to give these anymore.

Peterson8765
Sep 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
Ugh, I wish Apple just put in 16GB as the base model, 8GB is not enough for an iPod touch that can capture HD movies with relatively large file sizes, holding songs, movies, pictures, and most of all apps. Apple needs to move on from 8GB.

scarboni21
Sep 1, 2010, 05:50 PM
Ugh, I wish Apple just put in 16GB as the base model, 8GB is not enough for an iPod touch that can capture HD movies with relatively large file sizes, holding songs, movies, pictures, and most of all apps. Apple needs to move on from 8GB.

Thats why there is an option for 32gb and 64gb. Just need to pony up some more cash

hcho3
Sep 1, 2010, 06:15 PM
I agree with some of you about 8GB storage. However, apple is probably not going to make a lot of money from 8GB model. With retina display, A4 chip, 512 RAM, and 5 meg camera are all included. This will probably push ipod touch all the way up to high manufacture cost.
Since, apple couldn't push the price too high. They probably settled for 8GB model. Next year, apple will probably go for 16GB on base model.

Mr. McMac
Sep 1, 2010, 06:19 PM
8 gigs is a waste. 32 gigs for $70 more is what I'm getting :)

Ipodize
Sep 1, 2010, 06:22 PM
5 meg camera

It's actually only 960 by 720 :eek:

So now Apple will have no trouble getting us people to upgrade next year, when they (hopefully) put in something like, say, the 3GS camera.

hcho3
Sep 1, 2010, 06:27 PM
Apple either left a room for an improvement. OR They just decided to put cheaper camera.

izimzis
Sep 1, 2010, 06:27 PM
They know exactly what they are doing by dropping the 16GB out.
They always know what they are doing.

The camera is crap and the retina screen isn't an ips screen like the iphone.
You've a gimped device in a plastic shell. But kids will luv it !!
And Mr Joe Average won't know the difference and will think it's fab!

... and it's all relative really anyway. If you think you're gonna enjoy
the new toys from Steve then "pay up" ! !

If you want good products buy top of the line. i.e. Iphone4.

diddnt steve say it was exactly the same screen?

turtlebud
Sep 1, 2010, 06:30 PM
It's actually only 960 by 720 :eek:

So now Apple will have no trouble getting us people to upgrade next year, when they (hopefully) put in something like, say, the 3GS camera.

yep, according to ilounge, it's a 0.7MP camera (yes, that's a zero in from of the dot). probably want to wait til ifixit gets a hold of one to know for sure, but I think that's pretty close to what the back camera is. i think in large part, that's probably the most disappointing thing about the ipod touch - it's almost like apple put the smallest resolution camera they could and still be able to advertise it as shooting HD video. I don't think many people were expecting the same 5mp iphone 4 camera, but 3.2mp would have been reasonable.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/yikes-ipod-touchs-rear-camera-capped-at-960x720-stills/

ryan0402
Sep 1, 2010, 06:33 PM
How much would it be to buy an iphone 4 drop the contract from att and make it an ipod touch?

Ipodize
Sep 1, 2010, 06:34 PM
I don't think many people were expecting the same 5mp iphone 4 camera, but 3.2mp would have been reasonable.

They have to have SOMETHING to improve on next year :rolleyes:

alphaod
Sep 1, 2010, 06:38 PM
How much would it be to buy an iphone 4 drop the contract from att and make it an ipod touch?

$599 and $699 (plus tax), for 16GB and 32GB models respectively.

ryan0402
Sep 1, 2010, 06:46 PM
They have to have SOMETHING to improve on next year :rolleyes:

I always tell people this. Apple is not dumb. They make it so that every year they add an irresistible thing to make every one want it but always leave room for some improvement. I wouldn't doubt that the apple head quarters has the entire 10 year future ipod improvements ready. I have said this with the texting on the iphone compared with bitesms they do it on purpose to market their product but leave them a little unsatisfied so that the next year they will be satisfied with that but the be unhappy with another thing.

skiltrip
Sep 1, 2010, 06:53 PM
Overall I think the 8GB model is awesome. I'm shocked the put all the features into it. Shocked. I thought for sure it'd be a 16GB 3rd gen. Most of us did.

In fact, the 8GB got me to buy today. Cause I was buying two, or none. For my wife and I. She doesn't need all the storage, but she will use the camera and video camera now and then. Would I have rather seen 16GB? Sure! But not if it meant a 3rd gen instead.

I'm really happy that Apple made the complete lineup of touches have the full feature set. Way to go Apple. Good move. Now, about that Nano... ummm....

mosx
Sep 1, 2010, 06:57 PM
A simple "I disagree" would have sufficed.

Here's my thinking: If you already subscribe to a cell phone service, the cost for the contract would already be factored in to a budget, no? But for the data plan, which one may have already.

Not all cellphone contract prices are created equally.

More and more people are going with prepaid services.

Unlimited "everything" with MetroPCS, or one of T-Mobile or Sprint's unlimited plans cost less than AT&T's limited plans.

AT&T's cheapest plan with 450 any time minutes (5000 night and weekend), 200 SMS, and 200MB of data will cost nearly $70 a month after taxes and fees.

Plus you're locked into a 2 year agreement with AT&T that has a pro-rated ETF that begins at $320.

For someone who doesn't want to be locked into a contract, or someone who doesn't want to spend an extra $30 a month on phone service for less than what they can get elsewhere, the iPod touch is a great alternative.

If I didn't already have an iPhone 4, I'd get the iPod touch and a regular "dumb phone" from MetroPCS.

hcho3
Sep 1, 2010, 06:57 PM
I am planning on buying macbook next year. I am just gonna use my University discount and buy macbook and get ipod touch for free. Np..

gigaguy
Sep 1, 2010, 07:10 PM
as for the low-res camera I think it's partly form over function. there's a lot crammed into it, 2 cameras, mic, etc. and it's thinner than the already thin current Touch, something had to give to get this thing about 1/4" thick. and the iphone has to have better features.
but facetime is gonna be the killer app on this thing.

iPhone3GCrazed
Sep 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
Not all cellphone contract prices are created equally.

More and more people are going with prepaid services.

Unlimited "everything" with MetroPCS, or one of T-Mobile or Sprint's unlimited plans cost less than AT&T's limited plans.

AT&T's cheapest plan with 450 any time minutes (5000 night and weekend), 200 SMS, and 200MB of data will cost nearly $70 a month after taxes and fees.

Plus you're locked into a 2 year agreement with AT&T that has a pro-rated ETF that begins at $320.

For someone who doesn't want to be locked into a contract, or someone who doesn't want to spend an extra $30 a month on phone service for less than what they can get elsewhere, the iPod touch is a great alternative.

If I didn't already have an iPhone 4, I'd get the iPod touch and a regular "dumb phone" from MetroPCS.

Agreed, but for those on AT&T already, with say a Blackberry device, who are already paying for the minutes and data, they should probably go with the iPhone 4 over the iPod Touch, unless they have some undying attachment to their Blackberry.

It all depends I suppose. But yes, in the situation you pose (PAYG, TM/Sprint Unlimited Everything), an iPod Touch would be more economical.

Lyubomir1001
Sep 1, 2010, 07:32 PM
Can somebody tell me
how many mega pixels does ipod touch have?

lewis82
Sep 1, 2010, 07:33 PM
according to

True. But when I checked, just after the store reopened, it stated that there were earphones with remote and mic. Must have been a remains of the 3rd gens, because I checked a little while after and I couldn't find it.

jmor
Sep 1, 2010, 07:33 PM
Too small, too expensive.

iMac0765
Sep 1, 2010, 07:41 PM
To clarify...

The iPod Touch has an 720p HD Camera that records at 1280x720. The still camera on the other hand captures at 960x720, which is about 0.7 MP.

All models have the same features, no more "lower end" touch anymore.

Included accessories include the universal dock adapter, 30 pin to USB wire for syncing and the standard Apple Headphones.

There is a built in microphone, how else would it record video?

So would people stop asking questions that can be answered with a simple visit to the iPod Touch tech spec's page?! Thanks.

Anyway - the 8GB Model is a waste. Like, no use for it. iOS already takes 2 GB of it, so it's basically 6GB. If I even get one, it will probably be the higher storage ones. How else would I be able to make use of the HD camera?

I don't get it, how come they didn't use 16GB chips? Are they that "rare"? This is all Apple logic. :(

lewis82
Sep 1, 2010, 08:05 PM
Anyway - the 8GB Model is a waste. Like, no use for it. iOS already takes 2 GB of it, so it's basically 6GB. If I even get one, it will probably be the higher storage ones. How else would I be able to make use of the HD camera?

I don't get it, how come they didn't use 16GB chips? Are they that "rare"? This is all Apple logic. :(

It's probably a strategy to sell more 32GB ones. If it were 16GB, most would buy this one.

QCassidy352
Sep 1, 2010, 08:21 PM
the $229 8 GB model on sale yesterday was the 2008 hardware. So this is a 2-year jump up for the low end. Seems pretty good to me.

FirePak
Sep 1, 2010, 10:22 PM
As long as the 8gb has everything the other ones have thats the one ill be getting. I dont listen to music and I use air video for tv shows and movies. I think for what im doing 32gb would be overkill for me. I think apple is going to sell a ton of these this holiday. I also dont think its that bad for HD video, The FlipHD only has 8gb built in.