Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
It depends on if it will have all the features of the 32GB and 64GB models. Hopefully it isn't the odd ball out like the 3rd Gen releases.

If it does have all the features people are still better off spending the extra cash for close to four times the storage.

SlovakApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
In the heart of Europe
As I have understood it, it has the same features. Nevertheless 8GB are not that much, I would strongly recommen people to buy at least 32GB. I have a 8GB 2009 model and that is simply not enough

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I was gonna get the 8GB for my wife, but for the $70, I dunno, maybe I should just get her the 32GB. I don't get why the heck they wouldn't do 16GB, especially at the $229 price point? Especially with HD video capability!

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I was gonna get the 8GB for my wife, but for the $70, I dunno, maybe I should just get her the 32GB. I don't get why the heck they wouldn't do 16GB, especially at the $229 price point? Especially with HD video capability!

The $229 model exists simply to get people in the store, to upsell to the $299 model. Apple wants to keep average selling price of iPod line up. If the $229 model had 16GB, a lot of people would choose that.

The good thing is that the new cheap model seems to have all the bells and whistles now, that is a nice improvement over last year.

iPhone3GCrazed

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
My opinion is, save $30 on initial price, double the storage and get an iPhone 4.

Or, cut the price by $130 and get an iPhone 3GS with the same storage.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
My opinion is, save $30 on initial price, double the storage and get an iPhone 4.

Or, cut the price by $130 and get an iPhone 3GS with the same storage.

Um, this is stupid. You ignore the fact that with the iphone you are locking yourself into a 2 year contract, costing a lot more than your initial $130 savings.

iPhone3GCrazed

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Um, this is stupid. You ignore the fact that with the iphone you are locking yourself into a 2 year contract, costing a lot more than your initial $130 savings.

A simple "I disagree" would have sufficed.

Here's my thinking: If you already subscribe to a cell phone service, the cost for the contract would already be factored in to a budget, no? But for the data plan, which one may have already.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
Except one thing. The 8 GB doesn't come with earphone with remote and mic.

Other than that, it's the same thing.;)

hahaha, but only a deaf person would choose to use the apple 'earphones', so for any sane person that is a complete non issue as they will go straight out and buy any old set headphones and just use the built in mic (or just use the headphones they already have and use)

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
I don't get why the heck they wouldn't do 16GB, especially at the $229 price point? Especially with HD video capability!

They know exactly what they are doing by dropping the 16GB out.
They always know what they are doing.

The camera is crap and the retina screen isn't an ips screen like the iphone.
You've a gimped device in a plastic shell. But kids will luv it !!
And Mr Joe Average won't know the difference and will think it's fab!

... and it's all relative really anyway. If you think you're gonna enjoy
the new toys from Steve then "pay up" ! !

If you want good products buy top of the line. i.e. Iphone4.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
The 8GB is great for someone who uses the touch primarily has a PDA type device. Sure, 70 bucks is a great deal for four times the storage, but some people simply don't need it.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Ugh, I wish Apple just put in 16GB as the base model, 8GB is not enough for an iPod touch that can capture HD movies with relatively large file sizes, holding songs, movies, pictures, and most of all apps. Apple needs to move on from 8GB.

scarboni21

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Ugh, I wish Apple just put in 16GB as the base model, 8GB is not enough for an iPod touch that can capture HD movies with relatively large file sizes, holding songs, movies, pictures, and most of all apps. Apple needs to move on from 8GB.

Thats why there is an option for 32gb and 64gb. Just need to pony up some more cash

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I agree with some of you about 8GB storage. However, apple is probably not going to make a lot of money from 8GB model. With retina display, A4 chip, 512 RAM, and 5 meg camera are all included. This will probably push ipod touch all the way up to high manufacture cost.
Since, apple couldn't push the price too high. They probably settled for 8GB model. Next year, apple will probably go for 16GB on base model.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Apple either left a room for an improvement. OR They just decided to put cheaper camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.