PDA

View Full Version : 99 for new Apple TV !!!!

retrospek
Sep 1, 2010, 01:24 PM
How does $99 = 99 !!

I was going to buy one as well - but now I'm not !

HolySalami
Sep 1, 2010, 01:25 PM
what a rip off!!!

roidy
Sep 1, 2010, 01:25 PM
Oh yes, you can guarantee us brits will get shafted on the price like always.

Diveflo
Sep 1, 2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah...120 in Germany...unbelievable...

retrospek
Sep 1, 2010, 01:27 PM
Oh yes, you can guarantee us brits will get shafted on the price like always.

I agree - but it isn't normally this bad .... :mad::mad:

Littleman
Sep 1, 2010, 01:28 PM
Went onto uk apple store to buy one also. Then came straight onto here to moan :)

99. Piss right off. Thought 59 maybe 69. Where do they get 99 from. :(

retrospek
Sep 1, 2010, 01:28 PM
Also we don't get Netflix - so we are paying more for less functionality !

HolySalami
Sep 1, 2010, 01:29 PM
Also we don't get Netflix - so we are paying more for less functionality !

I was thinking 59 and I might be interested

defiantly not at 99!!

Sep 1, 2010, 01:30 PM
Take a look at the page. It shows the VAT and import duties the UK price includes. Those are not included in the US price.

Lockster
Sep 1, 2010, 01:31 PM
Couldn't agree more, was going to buy until I saw $=!!!:mad:

nickosbad
Sep 1, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hopefully it is a universal power supply like the original as I'm gonna be in the USA in 5 weeks

Apple seriously needs to realign some of it's pricing models, either that or admit that the only way they can offer it at the headline price of $99 is to let all the other countries subsidize the US sales!!!

Oh yeah, what on earth were the cheers for when Steve showed the top down view for? Yeah ok it's small but he hadn't even said what it does yet!!

Streaming may prove an issue for lots of people in the uk, I wonder what kind of BB speeds you're gonna have to have?

sneeks
Sep 1, 2010, 01:34 PM
What a rip off.

HolySalami
Sep 1, 2010, 01:35 PM
Take a look at the page. It shows the VAT and import duties the UK price includes. Those are not included in the US price.

Still the shuffle is $49 converted to 39 so why no difference on a higher product I would expect 79 at most!

nOw2
Sep 1, 2010, 01:38 PM
I did choke when I saw that.

Everything is spot on with the new Apple TV - it does exactly what it should.

US$99? Okay, probably 80 tops - I'll got for that.

Credit card came out to order, then the website refreshed and revealed the price.

We get less for more expense. Nope. Card goes back to the safety of my wallet.

anim8or
Sep 1, 2010, 01:40 PM

So i know its not Apple's fault but when VAT rises the AppleTV will definitely not be worth it... Christmas present this year i think!!! Not wasting my OWN money on it...! LOL

retrospek
Sep 1, 2010, 01:41 PM
If they had put this at 79 pounds then I would have bought immediately...

But 99 pounds is just taking the p***

Sorry Apple - but no sale from me :mad: this pricing is madness.. !

rushmere
Sep 1, 2010, 01:45 PM
Based on today's exchange rate and adding VAT, it should be about 79 tops.

99 is just plain wrong.

Nipz
Sep 1, 2010, 01:45 PM
If they had put this at 79 pounds then I would have bought immediately...

But 99 pounds is just taking the p***

Sorry Apple - but no sale from me :mad: this pricing is madness.. !

Your crying over 20?

retrospek
Sep 1, 2010, 01:46 PM
Your crying over 20?

Yep - I'm not an Apple Fan Boy !

Why should I be paying more !

Nipz
Sep 1, 2010, 01:47 PM
lol ok.

anim8or
Sep 1, 2010, 01:50 PM
Your crying over 20?

No, i think its the principal of the price that is pissing everyone off.... why should we pay more?

Simple question why?

And dont say its sales tax/vat related or shipping etc.... because then the differences in other product pricing would be more closely matched to US from UK.

rushmere
Sep 1, 2010, 01:51 PM
Your crying over 20?

It's 25% over-priced.

I'm in floods of tears here. ;)

Nipz
Sep 1, 2010, 01:52 PM
No, i think its the principal of the price that is pissing everyone off.... why should we pay more?

Simple question why?

And dont say its sales tax/vat related or shipping etc.... because then the differences in other product pricing would be more closely matched to US from UK.

I dont no why we pay more but the even simpler answer is if you want it get it if you dont then dont! No one is making you spend your money on the thing!

Nipz
Sep 1, 2010, 02:06 PM
Before someone else complains about Apples shipping, US customers get free shipping over $50 but in the UK its over 78! Makes me sick!

Stoodo
Sep 1, 2010, 02:18 PM
Before someone else complains about Apples shipping, US customers get free shipping over $50 but in the UK its over 78! Makes me sick!

You must lead a charmed life if this is on your list of concerns.

Nipz
Sep 1, 2010, 02:24 PM
You must lead a charmed life if this is on your list of concerns.

Clearly!

iNeko
Sep 1, 2010, 02:25 PM
A bit taken aback by the price, but I've preordered one anyway :) cheaper than buying a new Mini to replace the one I gave to M&D!

Kerrlos
Sep 1, 2010, 02:29 PM
US prices don't include sales tax, which depending on the state can be upto 15%. So we aren't getting such a bad deal. It's still cheap.

Nipz
Sep 1, 2010, 02:33 PM
US prices don't include sales tax, which depending on the state can be upto 15%. So we aren't getting such a bad deal. It's still cheap.

Dont waste your time they dont get it :rolleyes:

iNeko
Sep 1, 2010, 02:35 PM
Dont waste your time they dont get it :rolleyes:

Some of us get it, it's just a bit of a shock to see $99=99 when you're used to $99=59 (such as MobileMe). The new AppleTV is still a bargain, just not the impossible bargain we all expected! :)

raymondkerr
Sep 1, 2010, 02:36 PM
Would a US apple TV work here in the UK? And I don't see any mention of TV shows on the UK model, just movies and the usual YouTube etc.

I didn't think the price was too bad, was expecting 149.

TheBritishBloke
Sep 1, 2010, 02:39 PM
Would a US apple TV work here in the UK? And I don't see any mention of TV shows on the UK model, just movies and the usual YouTube etc.

I didn't think the price was too bad, was expecting 149.

Even with the rumoured $99? :P

I'm still happy with the price.. Especially as I got it for 74 with my coupon :D

rushmere
Sep 1, 2010, 02:44 PM

$99 is about 64 at today's exchange rate. Add on 17.5% VAT and you get a price just over 75. So even allowing for tax, it's more than 30% more expensive here. I would be the first to accept that goods are sometimes more expensive here, but an additional 30% margin is a bit extreme.

TheBritishBloke
Sep 1, 2010, 02:53 PM
$99 is about 64 at today's exchange rate. Add on 17.5% VAT and you get a price just over 75. So even allowing for tax, it's more than 30% more expensive here. I would be the first to accept that goods are sometimes more expensive here, but an additional 30% margin is a bit extreme.

Welcome to Apple UK :rolleyes:

Sparced
Sep 1, 2010, 02:58 PM
I've owned the original 160GB Apple TV since the day the larger one was announced. I would have bought possibly two more if they had been 79.

A bit disappointed with the lack of new features, it's basically the same product it's always been but the price has held a lot of casual people back.

nlr
Sep 1, 2010, 03:00 PM
I'm confused what can apple tv actually do apart from stream rented movies which costs aswell?

TheBritishBloke
Sep 1, 2010, 03:13 PM
I've owned the original 160GB Apple TV since the day the larger one was announced. I would have bought possibly two more if they had been 79.

A bit disappointed with the lack of new features, it's basically the same product it's always been but the price has held a lot of casual people back.

79? The new ones are 99.

anc1en7z
Sep 1, 2010, 03:34 PM
Im just starting this thread for all of the people outside the USA,

I have just seen the new apple tv advertised and i checked it out on the us store, hmm $99 not too bad, flip over to the uk store, 99!

surely it shouldnt be $=, it should be about 80, topps!

RIPOFF APPLE

Reser
Sep 1, 2010, 03:37 PM
Im just starting this thread for all of the people outside the USA,

I have just seen the new apple tv advertised and i checked it out on the us store, hmm $99 not too bad, flip over to the uk store, 99!

surely it shouldnt be $=, it should be about 80, topps!

RIPOFF APPLE

Just done the same thing.. saw $99 and was like.. wow thats a bargain..then switch to uk and 99 .. just outrage.. and no longer a bargain however still affordable.

Why does Apple TV always translate to charging us in the UK a lot more then USA , everything else they do ok with, we always end up paying more but no where near for $ , infuriating..

And whats more the USA get MORE on their apple tv then we do, with net flix and the tv show rentals.

iParis
Sep 1, 2010, 03:41 PM
It was previously around 210 in the UK? So you're complaining it went to 99?

iParis
Sep 1, 2010, 03:43 PM
I'm confused what can apple tv actually do apart from stream rented movies which costs aswell?

Stream content from you iTunes library, Netflix, and YouTube.

Sparced
Sep 1, 2010, 03:44 PM
if they had been 79.

79? The new ones are 99.

If...

TEG
Sep 1, 2010, 03:47 PM
It is quite common to see anything priced in dollars in the US, use the same numerals in pounds in the UK. I know a lot of it has to with shipping and taxes, and other are just the cost of living in the UK.

TEG

scotthayes
Sep 1, 2010, 03:52 PM
Surely somebody at Apple has simply made a mistake on the Apple store and just replaced the $ for a and forgotten to change the price.

Other items that sell for $99 do not cost 99

eg.
$99 for the Airport Express (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB321LL/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?fnode=MTY1NDEyMQ&mco=MTA4NzI4ODU)

or

81 for the Airport Express (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB321B/A/AirPort-Express-AirTunes?fnode=MTY1NDEyMQ&mco=MTA4NzI4ODU)

And don't forget the shipping is from China

SimonTheSoundMa
Sep 1, 2010, 03:54 PM
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%2499+in+British+pounds+%2B+17.5%25

anim8or
Sep 1, 2010, 03:55 PM
I dont no why we pay more but the even simpler answer is if you want it get it if you dont then dont! No one is making you spend your money on the thing!

I was merely justifying why people are angry at this, not complaining myself...

I am currently borrowing my parents appletv... and have loved having it! But the day will come when they want it back, they are currently moving home.

I am happy that the price of the new one is less than the older one but i still think apple's pricing of the new apple tv is shocking.

It has slowly been going this way for the past couple of years, but the exact same price as across the pond is beyond a joke.

Like i said in a previous post, i will gladly accept this as a present but i don't think its worth 99

newfoundglory
Sep 1, 2010, 03:56 PM
Im certain 99 is the correct price. I won't be buying thats for sure. If you assume average sales tax in the US of 6.5% and exchange rate of $1.48/1 ... it should be 71 plus the "extra" UK costs SJ likes to talk about... whatever those are....

solaar
I'm surprised the price difference has invoked such anger, I don't like it either but I would have thought we would all be used to it by now. Apple are also covering themselves for the increase in VAT in January as well as including the ridiculous EU import duties and VAT rate (which here in the EU must be at a minimum of 15%). These laws and other business tax laws are the reasons for the high prices we get charged for on this continent.

On a different note I'm sure in the UK we will get some local content (not nothing), it was stated within the keynote. I'm guessing at least the BBC iPlayer, with hopefully 4OD. I personally will wait and see for a few weeks on this one.

-SD-
Apple really need to make this a LOVEFiLM compatible device (http://www.lovefilm.com/on-your-tv/), so us UK users are at least offered something close to NetFlix.

Considering the relatively small choice of devices that can actually stream LF, it seems to me that Apple would be on to a winner with a 99 quid box. Add in iPlayer, itv player, and 4onDemand and the :apple:tv might start seeming a bit better value for money.

SimonTheSoundMa
Sep 1, 2010, 04:01 PM

Yup. Need a Mac Mini if you want storage. Sort of erm, defeats the purpose of the device if you only have one Apple TV. If you have multiple Apple TV's and one Mac as a server, seems a good solution.

I've ripped all my DVD's (about 100 of them) and put them on a drive.

Only problem, what happens if someone wants to see my photos, but my MacBook Pro is not at home. :o

Graemezee
Sep 1, 2010, 04:29 PM
I would have brought one for $99 or a UK equivalent but I won't pay 99 on a matter of principle

hfletcher
Sep 1, 2010, 04:42 PM
There are other products priced at $99 in the US, and they are about 80 or so (as someone else said, e.g. AP express).

It's clearly that Apple think they can get away with the price being more in the UK, not for reasons of duty or additional taxes. If this were the case, then the airport express would be 99, not 81. And it's unlikely that there is some separate "TV Devices" tax compared to a wi-fi base station 'tax'...

Basically, apple are taking the piss. Although it's cheaper than the old one, I refuse to pay 30% more for exactly the same thing that's selling in the US.
And as someone pointed out, we can't even get Netflix here - one of the main updates to the device.

You won't be getting my money apple. :mad:

Pez555
Sep 1, 2010, 06:18 PM
wait so you can stream stuff from your itunes library using apple tv? thats good, is that all you need though?

Kebabselector
Sep 1, 2010, 07:38 PM
It was previously around 210 in the UK? So you're complaining it went to 99?

The 219 version was a rip off also.

No Netflix here sorry, also streaming from another device that needs to be powered on - not very green Apple

Again Apple seem to be looking towards a smaller package, but as the last generation of the iPod Shuffle has proven small isn't better.

I was considering the device, but now it seems to be only slightly better than a cheapo Western Digital media box.