PDA

View Full Version : Not a Homerun - a Grandslam!

Vesuvio Cat
Sep 1, 2010, 01:35 PM
And kudos to the rumor mill for being spot on this year. This Touch is a dream come true!

Tmacfan4321
Sep 1, 2010, 01:48 PM
And kudos to the rumor mill for being spot on this year. This Touch is a dream come true!
You have to admit that it was pretty predictable. They didn't introduce anything groundbreaking.

amazonpam
Sep 1, 2010, 03:45 PM
Grand slam would have included 3G.

FearNo1
Sep 1, 2010, 03:47 PM
meh

squeeks
Sep 1, 2010, 03:52 PM
You have to admit that it was pretty predictable. They didn't introduce anything groundbreaking.

no, but kudos to apple for including all of the features a majority of us wanted.

Airforce
Sep 1, 2010, 03:53 PM
Nothing so great to make me replace my 64GB Touch. When it breaks, if they haven't released the iPhone 4 for T-Mobile, sure.

Smtevo
Sep 1, 2010, 03:59 PM
Nothing so great to make me replace my 64GB Touch. When it breaks, if they haven't released the iPhone 4 for T-Mobile, sure.

What else could they have done? You want it to turn into a jet pack and fly you to the moon or something?

cRuNcHiE
Sep 1, 2010, 04:03 PM
GPS would of been nice, i'll still have to jailbreak it and use a bluetooth GPS.

headset
Sep 1, 2010, 04:09 PM
have to agree. Tempted to ditch my iphone 3gs for this baby. The thinness, speed, retina display, front camera and flat back.

pamon
Sep 1, 2010, 04:19 PM
it's 99% of what the iphone 4 has minus the phone

Airforce
Sep 1, 2010, 04:21 PM
it's 99% of what the iphone 4 has minus the phone

It has the same speed, display, and front camera. That isn't 99%.

maccompaq
Sep 1, 2010, 04:29 PM
The camera is of a lower quality than the one in the iPhone 4.

WLS
Sep 1, 2010, 04:32 PM
It's good but predictable. They could have made something magical and backed off. they hit it up to the fence but it should have gone over.

ajphares
Sep 1, 2010, 04:36 PM
I would have loved 3G, the same camera, and the same design as iPhone 4, but I still bought a 32GB model.

gta50419
Sep 1, 2010, 04:39 PM
The camera is of a lower quality than the one in the iPhone 4.
^ yes this.
even a lower quality then the origional iphone or even 4 year old basic phones they give out free...smh

Panther71
Sep 1, 2010, 04:45 PM
From all the speculation, this is as about as good as we could have expected for the 4G iPod Touch. I am satisfied with the new features and am looking forward to purchasing my iPod Touch, very soon.

ucfgrad93
Sep 1, 2010, 05:15 PM
Grand slam would have included 3G.

There is no way Apple is going to put 3G into the iPod Touch. There would be little difference between it and the iPhone.

Martyimac
Sep 1, 2010, 06:14 PM
If they had taken the phone part out of the IP4 and released it as the new 4G Ipod touch, now THAT would have been a grand slam. I grade this as a triple, MAYBE a one run home run.

maccompaq
Sep 16, 2010, 05:53 PM
A recent study released showed that the owners of smart phones used them a lot for data and not so much for making calls.

4DThinker
Sep 16, 2010, 07:14 PM
I'm impressed for the most part, but believe there is still plenty of room for improvement. Mainly that iOS could use a rethink. Still having to leave an app to go into Settings for related options is archaic.

Batt
Sep 16, 2010, 07:30 PM
Wow. If the aliens land tomorrow and read this thread, their conclusion will be that, except for one guy, everyone hates the abomination that is the iPod Touch. Wait - make it two guys. I think it's a grand slam, too.

Phil In Idaho
Sep 16, 2010, 07:34 PM
Your fanboy status is noted.

fertilized-egg
Sep 16, 2010, 07:39 PM
I'm impressed for the most part, but believe there is still plenty of room for improvement. Mainly that iOS could use a rethink. Still having to leave an app to go into Settings for related options is archaic.

I couldn't agree more. Still waiting for jailbreak just to get SBSettings. (and Bluetooth tethering)

tablo13
Sep 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
I'm really impressed with the iPod touch, a huge improvement, but I wonder why they didn't put GPS.

burgundyyears
Sep 16, 2010, 10:01 PM
I'm really impressed with the iPod touch, a huge improvement, but I wonder why they didn't put GPS.

GPS minus 3G is of limited use at best. You'd have to buy one of the offline mapping/direction packages to make use of it when you'd really need it.

mchad
Sep 16, 2010, 11:23 PM

All you have to do is unlock the iPhone 4 and get a sim card trimmer...

Batt
Sep 17, 2010, 07:48 AM
Your fanboy status is noted.

Thank you. I am an unapologetic fan boy.

MsMerryMac
Sep 17, 2010, 01:28 PM
Wow. If the aliens land tomorrow and read this thread, their conclusion will be that, except for one guy, everyone hates the abomination that is the iPod Touch. Wait - make it two guys. I think it's a grand slam, too.

I guess that I must be a fangirl as you have been dubbed a fanboy for actually being happy with the product that you chose to buy. I am smitten with the iPT4 and was extremely pleased with the upgrade. If I wanted ALL the features of an iPhone exactly as they are today, I would have bought an iPHONE and not wasted my time griping about what isn't perfect about the Touch.:D

tubemonkey
Sep 17, 2010, 02:28 PM
If I wanted ALL the features of an iPhone exactly as they are today, I would have bought an iPHONE and not wasted my time griping about what isn't perfect about the Touch.:D

Except a lot of people don't want to pay for mandatory data plans. They want the same features on a WiFi only version.

burgundyyears
Sep 17, 2010, 02:46 PM
Except a lot of people don't want to pay for mandatory data plans. They want the same features on a WiFi only version.

...and because they are going to be more price-sensitive than iPhone 4 buyers too, they don't want it to cost $500 either, which is why so many think the Touch is a reasonable compromise.

tubemonkey
Sep 17, 2010, 04:22 PM
...and because they are going to be more price-sensitive than iPhone 4 buyers too, they don't want it to cost $500 either, which is why so many think the Touch is a reasonable compromise.

An unsubsidized iPhone is overpriced. There's no reason for it to be priced so high, other than Apple can get away with it. If the touch had the same markup as the iPhone, it to would cost over $500.

iPhone 4 16GB: cost = $188 ..... sell = $599

touch 4G 32GB: cost = ??? ..... sell = $299

burgundyyears
Sep 17, 2010, 04:43 PM
An unsubsidized iPhone is overpriced. There's no reason for it to be priced so high, other than Apple can get away with it. If the touch had the same markup as the iPhone, it to would cost over $500.

So Apple is giving us a stellar deal! Parrrrty! :D

P.S. Since there are persistent shortages, economics would seem to dictate that, if anything, the iPhone 4 is priced too low. Also cost of components != cost of a device, neither of which have much to do with the value of an object on the market.

tubemonkey
Sep 17, 2010, 04:48 PM
Also cost of components != cost of a device, neither of which have much to do with the value of an object on the market.

As the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute; and in the Apple universe, there's one born every nano second. :D

7even
Sep 17, 2010, 04:57 PM

Don't forget R&D costs, software development, licenses, etc. They can't just bill you for the materials they used to build it.

tubemonkey
Sep 17, 2010, 05:07 PM
Don't forget R&D costs, software development, licenses, etc. They can't just bill you for the materials they used to build it.

And they're not doing that on either device. Look at the cost/sell ratio of the two and explain why the addition of GPS and 3G warrants a higher markup?

Batt
Sep 18, 2010, 06:05 PM
And they're not doing that on either device. Look at the cost/sell ratio of the two and explain why the addition of GPS and 3G warrants a higher markup?

Apple has a lot of nerve, making a profit.

Don Kosak
Sep 18, 2010, 06:40 PM
I agree 100%.

I've owned an iPhone since Day 1 (yeah, stood in line for a few hours). I also have an iPad, so over the years I've become pretty accustomed to what iOS brings to the table.

That said, I am absolutely blown away by how much they crammed into the iPod Touch 4th Gen. It's an amazing device.

I'm not that old, (and some of you will no doubt laugh at this), but when I took computer class in school, we programmed by punching holes in paper cards and loading them into hoppers... My distant future was mapped out by shows like Space 1999 (a far off year at the time). In Space 1999, they had Facetime (on little 1" square CRT screens in boxes the size of a heavy duty flashlight...). When people complain about the VGA resolution on the front camera, I just have to laugh.

It's about the size of a quarter deck of playing cards, records High Definition video, has TWO cameras, an accelerometer and gyroscope, etc etc... It's a freaking technological miracle, and Apple manages to make all this tech accessible to the common person on the street.

Most companies would lose people at the "boot code loader screen" or the "gyroscope configuration wizard".

I am not an Apple Fanboy. I'm a technology fanboy. I love all kinds of tech, it's just that Apple keeps coming out with really cool tech.

I wish the other guys would wake up and make something amazing. Not some white bread knock off of an iGizmo, something that creates a new market.

Come on HP, Microsoft, Google and Dell... Make something to blow us away.

tubemonkey
Sep 18, 2010, 08:40 PM
That said, I am absolutely blown away by how much they crammed into the iPod Touch 4th Gen. It's an amazing device.

No more so than an iPhone.

burgundyyears
Sep 18, 2010, 09:03 PM
No more so than an iPhone.

You're right - they're both great devices.

tubemonkey
Sep 18, 2010, 09:05 PM
You're right - they're both great devices.

Yup; and the iPhone is better. Too bad the carriers force us into data plans.

burgundyyears
Sep 18, 2010, 09:11 PM
Yup; and the iPhone is better. Too bad the carriers force us into data plans.

Yup, cool stuff costs, and even cooler stuff costs more. Google tried it the independent way and it didn't work. People just don't want to pay $500+ for handhold wireless devices.

tubemonkey
Sep 18, 2010, 09:17 PM
Yup, cool stuff costs, and even cooler stuff costs more. Google tried it the independent way and it didn't work. People just don't want to pay $500+ for handless wireless devices.

I wouldn't pay that much either. It's a total rip off. A 32GB iPod touch 4G retails for $300; so an unsubsidized 32GB iPhone 4 should retail for $350, not $700.

Aero26
Sep 19, 2010, 12:59 AM
I'm not yet a convert. I've got a little bit of money coming my way and I had all but set it in stone I was taking it to the Apple store for an iPT4. Lo and behold, I log onto Facebook to a picture a friend snazilly tagged as 'taken with my iPod :D". I almost puked. No thanks. I'll put this next sum towards a case and a screen protector. I can more than sit tight.

FaceTime doesn't concern me. 5 of my about 170 friends own iDevices. Only Three including me were even thinking to upgrade. It won't be worth it for a quite a while if this is the rate of Apple's penetration.

The proccessors/retina. I'm still awestruck everytime I load up a movie on this 3 and a half inch screen. Plus, the second I restore from a jaulbreak, our iPod's are snappy as ever. Maybe we've forgotten. They've clearly reminded you as you guys eill be sitting stock for a while.

What I've got will do. The IPT4 isn't my "grand slam" is all.

SlamJam12
Sep 19, 2010, 09:05 PM
The new iPod touch is not a grand slam for me. The reason is I only use my recently bought iPod touch 8 GB from the Back to School promotion for music purposes. I don't see the need to spend a couple hundred bucks for things I may not use. I just like the screen estate and the functionality of the touchscreen.

burgundyyears
Sep 19, 2010, 09:11 PM
Reading comprehension fail on my part.

Pillar
Sep 19, 2010, 09:49 PM
What else could they have done? You want it to turn into a jet pack and fly you to the moon or something?

thanks for the "lol"