PDA

View Full Version : FaceTime

lexus
Sep 1, 2010, 02:06 PM
So how will Facetime work on the iPod Touch without phone numbers?

They haven't been very clear about it.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks

Ivan P
Sep 1, 2010, 02:10 PM
So how will Facetime work on the iPod Touch without phone numbers?

They haven't been very clear about it.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks

Email addresses. Apparently it was found in one of the 4.1 betas, they're adding the ability to call someone using the email address tied to their device.

Blackened
Sep 1, 2010, 02:37 PM
Apple ID = email address

Rowbear
Sep 1, 2010, 03:37 PM
It will be over WiFi networks, not cellular networks.

Drucifer
Sep 1, 2010, 03:43 PM
To me FaceTime isn't a big deal. To be able to do it you need either a 4th Gen iPod Touch or a iPhone 4 and since the iPod Touch only has WiFi you need to be within a local wireless network to even use it. Basically, unless you arrange it ahead of time it will be unlikely that both would be available to use it unless of course you are both at home and both have wireless networks at home.

Don't get me wrong the feature is still cool but I just don't think I'll use it that much myself. All the other features of the 4th Gen are great though.

dhlee528
Sep 1, 2010, 03:47 PM
To me FaceTime isn't a big deal. To be able to do it you need either a 4th Gen iPod Touch or a iPhone 4 and since the iPod Touch only has WiFi you need to be within a local wireless network to even use it. Basically, unless you arrange it ahead of time it will be unlikely that both would be available to use it unless of course you are both at home and both have wireless networks at home.

Don't get me wrong the feature is still cool but I just don't think I'll use it that much myself. All the other features of the 4th Gen are great though.

As of NOW facetime for iphone needs WIFI too

it works on 3g if you jailbreak it

Drucifer
Sep 1, 2010, 03:53 PM
As of NOW facetime for iphone needs WIFI too

it works on 3g if you jailbreak it

Yeah sorry about that, my post kind of sounds like I was unaware that WiFi was also required for the iPhone 4. I understand that FaceTime requires WiFi on both devices but my point still stands. It almost has to be pre-arranged to use it but this is a cool feature especially for family members who live out of the city but that is why I have my iMac. ;)

headset
Sep 1, 2010, 04:10 PM
When facetime is able to call skype or skype is able to use the front facing camera will make it more universal.

pamon
Sep 1, 2010, 04:17 PM
would love to see skype update its software to include video chat on 4.1. HOPE HOPE HOPE

androiphone
Sep 1, 2010, 04:34 PM
When facetime is able to call skype or skype is able to use the front facing camera will make it more universal.

would love to see skype update its software to include video chat on 4.1. HOPE HOPE HOPE

same here, facetime is still very niche but skype is way more popular (although there is fring, but that is only fring to fring)

celticpride678
Sep 1, 2010, 04:39 PM
Most likely email addresses.

Bernard SG
Sep 1, 2010, 10:10 PM
Here's what they say on the Apple official iPod Touch page:

Tap for a more instant, instant message.

Take “LOL” to the next level and actually see friends laughing. Or bring “XOXO” to life when you blow someone a kiss from miles away. FaceTime on iPod touch makes it possible. FaceTime works right out of the box — just enter your Apple ID and email address. Or create a new email account just for FaceTime. Using FaceTime is as easy as it gets. Say you want to start a video call with your best friend over Wi-Fi. Just tap the FaceTime app and find her entry to start the call. An invitation pops up on her iPod touch or iPhone 4 screen asking if she wants to join you. When she accepts, FaceTime begins. It’s all perfectly seamless. And it works in both portrait and landscape. See how much fun you can have.

It would be cool if there were a version for Mac to let iOS users communicate with non mobile people.

Sustainability
Sep 1, 2010, 11:04 PM
I haven't used FaceTime once seeing that almost all my friends have older iPhones and the rest feel that the wifi limitation is just worthless (myself included).

I'm never going to jailbreak my phone for just one feature, so I'm just anxiously waiting for Skype to update their app to include video chat from phone to phone as well as phone to computer.

Not holding my breath though seeing that Skype takes forever to update anything.

touchmonkey
Sep 19, 2010, 04:44 PM
I haven't used FaceTime once seeing that almost all my friends have older iPhones and the rest feel that the wifi limitation is just worthless (myself included).

I'm never going to jailbreak my phone for just one feature, so I'm just anxiously waiting for Skype to update their app to include video chat from phone to phone as well as phone to computer.

Not holding my breath though seeing that Skype takes forever to update anything.

How can something so innovative be so slow to respond to change?
(Theory....they're trying to figure out how to max profits....not that I blame them)
The tech moves so quickly it may slow down progress because everyone like skype doesn't want to give it away, if they can become billionaires if they don't
But I could be wrong about that.