Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
What is this business about iPhone 4 being IPS, and the iPod touch is not, even though they are both "retina" and at the same resolution. What's the difference?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The iPhone 4 panels is actually FFS (a subset of IPS, but not IPS in itself), but anyways… IPS has better color reproduction, almost 180º viewing angles (without changes in contrast or color), good black reproduction.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
From Engadget gallery:

20100902-fqiqs6bn62k82xta5dmw8sxcyh.jpg

pingualoty

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
It does seem as though it is non-ips as the pics show. Also when the fornt bezel and digitizer was leaked in a video last week the guy mentioned that the ipod screen looked paler and was not identical. It's a shame but it is a lower end device than the iphone and unless u use it in direct sunlight all the time or look at it from strange angles then it will be ok we have coped for 3 years with non-ips.

Also side angles look ok as the 2nd gen does while up and down are bad on both (using my 2nd gen as a test btw)

As can be seen here:

ipodtouch2010hands4.jpg

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
They can only do so much with a $229.99/$299.99/$399.99 price point. I bet you it's a cost thing. Remember, full cost (to produce and MSRP) for an IP4 is much greater than what an iTouch would be. They can only do so much and still make a profit.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
They can only do so much with a $229.99/$299.99/$399.99 price point. I bet you it's a cost thing. Remember, full cost (to produce and MSRP) for an IP4 is much greater than what an iTouch would be. They can only do so much and still make a profit.

I'd rather Apple offered, like last year, a base 8gb model with previous gen hardware (ipod touch 3G) but high-end models (32gb/64gb) that offered "the real ip4-like iOS experience", including a full featured IPS Retina Display. Hardware-wise (if we don't count radio chips) high-end iPod Touch models have always been equal or better (a bit overclocked CPU, etc) to the current iphone, having a worse display it's a first.

The fact is this year they HAD to give the Gyro and Retina Display (at least resolution-wise) even to the base 8gb model, in order to make the latest games work at their best on it. Because they are marketing iPod Touch as a gaming platform and as such it's crucial to make even the base model enjoy a full AppStore-Gaming_Section experience, and it's crucial to get rid of non-Gyro-enabled and non-Retina models ASAP.

So, basically you're right, and I blame mostly the 8gb model for the budget restraint.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
I think for just an additional $30 from the $199 cost for all you get with the new iPod touch 4G is just fine, It probably costs about $160-$170 to make it so they gotta make some profit.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
If you look at the Endadget video, when they pan the cam down to compare the thickness, you see his iPhone 4 hold it's color and clarity while the iPod sort of "blues" out or washes out.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/ipod-touch-2010-first-hands-on/

Yes. At about 17 seconds in you can see that the iPod sceen's white background has turned a yellowish, almost reversed, image and the iPhone is still perfect.

That's too bad the new touch isn't IPS, but it didn't stop me from ordering one anyway.

Greg

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Yes. At about 17 seconds in you can see that the iPod sceen's white background has turned a yellowish, almost reversed, image and the iPhone is still perfect.

Ah, yes indeed. It's too bad, but it's definitely not a big issue. I bet most people probably won't even notice.

tubemonkey

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
That's too bad the new touch isn't IPS, but it didn't stop me from ordering one anyway.

That's Apple's thinking also. They can use lower spec'd features and leave stuff out, because people will still buy it. So why not skimp?

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Did the 3rd gen iPod touch have IPS? I felt disappointed when I read that this new one didn't, until I realized that it was my iPad with IPS, not the iPod touch. Can someone just confirm this? I've been completely happy with my 3rd gen screen quality, so no problems if this one doesn't have IPS :)

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Did the 3rd gen iPod touch have IPS? I felt disappointed when I read that this new one didn't, until I realized that it was my iPad with IPS, not the iPod touch. Can someone just confirm this? I've been completely happy with my 3rd gen screen quality, so no problems if this one doesn't have IPS :)

Nope, the only iOS devices with the IPS screens are the iPhone 4 and the iPad.

charpi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2006
Just thought I would contribute this. It's a screenshot from the engadget video comparing the IP4 and the new touch.

Attachments

• compare.png
    compare.png
    808.7 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.