Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCrefugee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I'm a MAC newbie. The friend who converted me suggested I activate File Vault. So far no probs as long as I don't let it "clean up" "unused" files when I shut down ... but I do wonder if anyone knows ...

I backup frequently by hooking up an old hard drive, reformatting it and then dragging my entire desktop onto it. Does anyone know if the backup copy is also encrypted?

In other words ... if I'm dutifully backing up, and then one day in a coffeehouse somebody absconds with my laptop and all I have is the backup copy of my data ... will I be able to read it with another G4 or G5?

Thanks

PCrefugee

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
advres said:
Read THIS and turn file vault off now!

You have been warned.

I've had filevault off and on for a while now. Encryption sometimes has problems, with the latest fixes, it should be just fine.

That copy you have on the external hard drive is NOT secure.

BEN

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
File Vault

Speaking of File Vault, I stopped the File Vault process after starting it because the timer showed it may take too much time. Does it cause any file corruption if you stop the file vault process after starting it for 5 to 10 minutes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.