PDA

View Full Version : This technology will definitely trickle down to the G5/6 series... which is good

spaceballl
Dec 13, 2004, 01:41 AM
http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7729

This will definitely be useful in keeping future Powermacs running at higher clock speeds and putting out less heat.
-Kevin

stoid
Dec 13, 2004, 01:46 AM
hmmm, first half of '05?

This must mean PowerBook G5's at MWSF!! ;) :rolleyes:

munkle
Dec 13, 2004, 02:16 AM
This is good news and certainly sounds promising for an upcoming PB range. First half of 2005 is looking to be an exciting time!

spaceballl
Dec 13, 2004, 02:38 AM
haha i hope just as much as you all do that we see new g5 PBs... regardless of when, this technology will definitely make it in there.
-kevin

Maxicek
Dec 13, 2004, 03:10 AM
As long as they get a reasonable yield...

will
Dec 13, 2004, 06:18 AM
Yields are not affected. So, fingers crossed this technique will be rapidly adopted from PPC97x manufacture. About time the G5 got more than a minor MHz improvement. I'm still optimistic we'll see dual core processors by Q3 2005 (or at least an announcement). I suspect we have one more minor bump to PMG5, say 2.8GHz, and the arrival of X800, then we'll see serious changes in the subsequent revision (I'd hope we'd also see a case which will take four internal drives). If this allows faster CPUs without a drop in yield, perhaps it'll also enable the release of the mythical XStation (4xG5 high-end A/V workstation)?

daveL
Dec 13, 2004, 11:39 AM
But given the fact that the 970FX already uses SOI and Strained Silicon, it would seem that this is a further refinement of what they are already doing, so the benefit wouldn't be anything close to the 24% the quote, it seems to me. The 24% improvement would be measured against a process that doesn't use SS at all, although the press release is obviously vague in this regard.