Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Illmatic

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
Ohio
"Video game publisher Electronic Arts on Monday said it had signed an exclusive agreement with the National Football League and the marketing arm of its players' union, giving EA the sole rights to put NFL players, stadiums and teams in its games.

The exclusive license struck a blow for EA in its ongoing battle with the joint venture of Sega Sammy Holdings and Take-Two Interactive Software."

"While EA's "Madden NFL" used to outsell Sega's NFL football game as much as 10-to-1 on a units basis, this year the ratio has been closer to 1.5-to-1. The Sega/Take-Two game uses NFL player names and likenesses, as well as team names and colors, which will not be allowed under the new arrangement."

full story here

First off I am happy to say this is officially the first thread I have ever started. As soon as I read this story I had to vent somewhere and what a better place than here. Now onto more serious matters - I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED. ESPN NFL2k5 is hands down the greatest football game ever made, some may disagree but that is life. Truthfully I am speechless, I will let you guys read the story and post some more of how I feel later on.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
just from a non-american prospective, the title of your thread should be that "ea has officially ruined AMERICAN football"

soccer as you call it came first! so we claim the word football! :D

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
That is awful......competition is always good. EA's Madden has become a not-so-good football game over the years.......actually, this years Madden sucked. I paid $50 for it and played it for about a week.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
russed said:
just from a non-american prospective, the title of your thread should be that "ea has officially ruined AMERICAN football"

soccer as you call it came first! so we claim the word football! :D

ditto
i thought "wohooo a FIFA [insert number here] bashing thread" and oppened the thread ;)

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
takao said:
ditto
i thought "wohooo a FIFA [insert number here] bashing thread" and oppened the thread ;)

I'll try not to be confused when you refer to soccer as football if you'll try not to be confused when Americans do the opposite. ;) Otherwise I'll have to bust out the "This is a primarily American forum" line. And we don't want to go there. :D;)

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
Jovian9 said:
That is awful......competition is always good. EA's Madden has become a not-so-good football game over the years.......actually, this years Madden sucked. I paid $50 for it and played it for about a week.

I enjoy Madden and still play it a lot, but I don't like being forced to purchase it. Competition is always good for everyone.

mattroberts

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Canada
Kyle? said:
"This is a primarily American forum" line. And we don't want to go there. :D;)

No we don't. because i believe stats show this is a primarily international forum. Americans are less than 50% of the active users

And lets not forget there is Canadian Football League out there aswell :) When I first read the forum I thought EA might be releasing some S**T version of CFL madden for us! lol :p

But on topic: I can't believe that the NFL is able to get away with this. Especially when ESPNs version was like 20 bucks vs the 50 for the madden title. Where is consumer protection in the US? And how about teams licensing separately any chances there?

cheers
m

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
I can't blame EA for this, since it's obviously in their best interests to create a monopoly. But why did the NFL decide to do this? How does having only one game a good thing for the league? It makes no sense to me...

I guess I'll keep playing NFL 2K5 forever.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
williamsonrg said:
I can't blame EA for this, since it's obviously in their best interests to create a monopoly. But why did the NFL decide to do this? How does having only one game a good thing for the league? It makes no sense to me....

I can blame EA for doing this. this is a MS type move. You can't compete with a better game so you sign exclusive rights? Compete!!!! That is what our market is about- not taking people out unethically!

Read this on IGN.com I think.

Midway has hired the writer of the show "Playmakers" to develop a new title, Blitz: Playmakers. The game will feature everything the NFL hated about the TV show, including drug use, and off-the-field habits the NFL likes to pretend never happens.

Personally I bet espn xfl will be the next new game...they already have the sky cam from xfl. He Hate Me could make a come back!

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I've been buying EA Sports games for years (Lakers vs Celtics & The NBA Playoffs on computer........before it was NBA Live & Madden since they released it on the Sega Genesis).....................If the ESPN games cannot come out with NFL teams/players next year, I will not buy an EA game again.

Applespider

macrumors G4
TBR said:
Isn't American Football and excuse for americans to get pi**ed?

At least thats how it's portrayed on TV over here.

Hardly. The actual NFL shows over here tend to focus on the actual game, do very little analysis and if they have to trivialise an aspect of the game it's the number of cheerleader shots and promos that we get. Having watched the coverage over the past 20 or so years, I've rarely seen the drink aspect mentioned - the food at tailgating/Thanksgiving/Super Bowl yes.

And soccer should be soccer otherwise you upset the Aussie Rules footballers, the Rugby Football Union and Leaguers etc in the UK/Australia etc. I hear the word 'football' (and I'm a Brit) and I think of helmets and big hits so it's not entirely a North American phenomenom. As for those who think US football is 'johnny come lately', well, it does go back to the 1860s when soccer and rugby were also still in their infancy.

Going back on topic, I think this is a bad move. Although the NFL have to keep control of their images/franchises to protect their name and business, I do believe that it should be licensed to whoever so long as it's not going to bring the game into disrepute (the NFL's licensees seem perfectly capable of doing that themselves - see ABC and those Desperate Housewives). I'd rather the NFL licensed their franchise names/logos to more than one game company to give the fans a choice but perhaps allowed EA to be the 'official' game of the NFL.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
ok this post is laughable for the fact that only EA can use nfl names , players and teams , but for the people saying madden is awful and not a good game , lol come on what game are you playing because i dont think its madden nfl 2005 . SOmeone said worse over the years lol. have u played madden from the 90's and madden now ...

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Espnetboy3 said:
ok this post is laughable for the fact that only EA can use nfl names , players and teams , but for the people saying madden is awful and not a good game , lol come on what game are you playing because i dont think its madden nfl 2005 . SOmeone said worse over the years lol. have u played madden from the 90's and madden now ...

I personally like ESPN better this year because I like the first person football, low cost, espn sportscenter links, etc. It has its flaws as well. I always bought Madden before, but don't care much for the franchise stuff, ticket prices, etc which is where madden has gone mostly when ESPN worked out its first person football. I just like a game I can play, seems like what I watch when I watch football on tv and the espn game is much more like that. The last madden I played was 2004, but I didn't like the replays which seemed like Madden meets SSX (snowboarding game on PS2) and not like you would see on Sunday or monday in football. Every year madden got better, except for the realisistic looking replays and presentation to copy what we see on Sundays. ESPN does this the best and that is what I like about it. I just think it is sad that that is the only way ea can compete. Come on, they are making a killing on Madden at $49.95. Once the game is developed for two or three years for a specific console, the extras they put in, changes, etc. can't be all that expensive and the price should come down then.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
williamsonrg said:
I can't blame EA for this, since it's obviously in their best interests to create a monopoly. But why did the NFL decide to do this? How does having only one game a good thing for the league? It makes no sense to me...

I guess I'll keep playing NFL 2K5 forever.
No, you can't blame EA for this. They were losing market share, went for the "hail mary" and offered the NFL some stupid proposal that was probably bound to be rejected due to stupidity and monopolization, which isn't really allowed in the US, and yet to the surprise of EA Sports, and the dismay of everyone else in the industry, the NFL actually agreed to this. I'm sure even EA is surprised they pulled this off.

So I don't think EA can be blamed for trying. The NFL can take the blame for agreeing.

flyfish29 said:
I can blame EA for doing this. this is a MS type move. You can't compete with a better game so you sign exclusive rights?
Why blame EA? See above.

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
TBR said:
Isn't American Football and excuse for americans to get pi**ed?
No, it's an excuse for Americans to GAMBLE! :)

$4 BILLION wagered on the Super Bowl alone, only $70 million of which in legal Nevada sports books.

williamsonrg

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Denver, CO
flyfish29 said:
I can blame EA for doing this. this is a MS type move. You can't compete with a better game so you sign exclusive rights? Compete!!!! That is what our market is about- not taking people out unethically!

I never claimed that it was an ethical decision, just like Microsoft's decisions are rarely based on ethics. But in case you haven't noticed, there aren't many rules in American business - capitalism at its finest. Yes, it's bad for the industry, but it's good for EA, and if I'm in charge of EA and get this oppirtunity, I have to take it, or else answer to the board and the shareholders.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Espnetboy3 said:

Better graphics does not make the gameplay better. I've had almost every year of Madden and Live (before it was even called Live) so I have plenty of years to draw comparisons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.