PDA

View Full Version : "New" emac stuck on blue screen

xray328
Sep 9, 2010, 11:56 AM
We picked up our 2 emacs from my son's school today. They made it very clear that once you left with them you absolutely could not return them. Both worked fine at the school (of course).

So, now that we have them home, only one of them works fine. The other won't go past the blue screen. I tried booting in safe mode but it says "System Failed: CPU=0 Code=0000008 (unaligned stack).

I'm a total mac noob...what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

cluthz
Sep 9, 2010, 12:01 PM
"System Failed: CPU=0 Code=0000008 (unaligned stack)

It's a hardware failure.
Try reseat the RAM

666sheep
Sep 9, 2010, 12:20 PM
Try to reset PRAM and PMU.
If it's 1.25 GHz eMac - look at capacitors after reseating what you can.

xray328
Sep 9, 2010, 01:14 PM
Try to reset PRAM and PMU.
If it's 1.25 GHz eMac - look at capacitors after reseating what you can.

How do I reset these?

Thanks again.

666sheep
Sep 9, 2010, 02:21 PM
PRAM (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)
PMU (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3005?viewlocale=en_US)

raysfan81
Sep 9, 2010, 03:41 PM
We picked up our 2 emacs from my son's school today. They made it very clear that once you left with them you absolutely could not return them. Both worked fine at the school (of course).

So, now that we have them home, only one of them works fine. The other won't go past the blue screen. I tried booting in safe mode but it says "System Failed: CPU=0 Code=0000008 (unaligned stack).

I'm a total mac noob...what should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Couldn't you have tested them out before you brought them home? That would have saved you some trouble.

xray328
Sep 9, 2010, 04:58 PM
Couldn't you have tested them out before you brought them home? That would have saved you some trouble.

We totally did and they worked. It appears to have a swollen capacitor. I've gotten it to work for a bit, then the mouse stopped working, now I get to the grey screen and I get a "you need to restart your computer message".

xray328
Sep 9, 2010, 06:45 PM
I think that machine is toast. It comes up, sometimes, but then it freezes. It did come with a 512mb memory card so I'll just toss that into the 1.42ghz machine and scrap this other one.

xray328
Sep 10, 2010, 12:38 AM
Ok, I might have found the problem. I swapped the 512 memory card to the working system and it crashed. I put the 256 card into the one that was crashing and now it's stable. So I think that problem is solved.

The only problem I have now is that after the system comes up the mouse stops working. The pointer still moves, but I can't click anything. The desktop seems to freeze up (minus the pointer). Is this an OS issue? Should I reinstall Tiger?