PDA

View Full Version : NEW!!! Issues installing Windows 7 on Mac Pro 1,1!!!

COTheProducer
Sep 9, 2010, 11:13 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance for reading to this and doing anything you can to help me out!! I just bought an older MP 1,1 which has been working out amazing and i love it! The only problem is that I am having trouble installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit or 32bit. I have read through all the forums on here regarding this and I am experiencing a completely different problem then all the other people that own a MP 1,1.

I am able to install either the 32bit or 64bit of Windows 7 and then when I get finished with the entire install and it says "Windows is starting for the first time" it asks a few network questions and then pauses for a few seconds and says something like "Windows could not be installed, please re-start the installation" and then reboots. So I think the installation is done and everything but then when my computer reboots i see the screen "Please press any button to boot from the CD/DVD....." I don't press anything because I don't want it to boot into the CD again, but it freezes after the last (.....) and doesn't boot into Windows. So i tried restarting the computer and holding the Option key and booting from the actual Windows partition but then it just sits at a black empty screen until i reboot it again.

Can anyone help with this??? I have tried installing the 32bit and 64bit versions and neither one works. I know that Apple doesn't support Windows 7 on the MP 1,1 but i have read all over the internet where other people have done it! Any help would be much appreciated! Sorry for the lengthy post but i wanted to include all the details. Thanks again!!!!

SmilesLots
Sep 10, 2010, 06:01 AM
Are you using Bootcamp, Parallels or what? To the best of my knowledge you need some type of virtualization. I am using Parallels 5 and could update from XP to Windows 7, but do not need to.

chych
Sep 10, 2010, 08:41 AM
Apple supports Windows 7 32 bit on Mac Pro 1,1, FYI. Don't know the answer to your question though, I had no major issues installing it on my 1,1. Actually I had one issue, it wouldn't install to a bootcamp partition on my SSD, I had to install it to a partition on a hard disk, and then copy it to the SSD (using winclone). Maybe try a different drive?

Snowshiro
Sep 10, 2010, 10:16 AM
Both of the above comments are wrong. You don't need virtualization, and the Apple *does not* support Windows 7 on Mac Pro 1,1.

You can install it, but I haven't done so since the pre-release Windows 7 RC - for that one the magic bullet appeared to be temporarily removing the main hard drive (the one containing your Mac OS X install) during the Windows install process - it caused some kind of issue with the installer. I have no idea if this has changed with the retail version though - I bought a PC instead and have it next to my Mac.

petvas
Sep 10, 2010, 11:00 AM
I had Windows 7 on my now sold 1,1 Mac Pro. I used the 64bit version of Bootcamp, dedicated a hard drive to windows and then used the Bootcamp wizard to install Windows 7. Everything worked great apart from power management. I installed the Ultimate Edition 64bit.