Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abercrombie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Parent's Basement
Any recommend apps to close all other multitasking apps at once instead of clicking the red minus arrow through tons of open apps? I'm surprised rebooting the device doesn't close 'em all.

Dominat0r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Any recommend apps to close all other multitasking apps at once instead of clicking the red minus arrow through tons of open apps? I'm surprised rebooting the device doesn't close 'em all.

You JBed with SBSettings?

check out Remove Background SBSettings Toggle Tweak

i use it and it works perfectly.

Hemmo

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
Remove background, when i double tap statusbar it closes everything, you can also choose what programs it leaves open like ipod etc etc

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005

Rebooting doesn't clear the "taskbar" because it is simply a list of recently used apps, not a list of open or multitasking-enabled apps. What rebooting does is clear all suspended apps from RAM and terminate any apps that are actually multitasking (GPS, voip, audio). So if you have an app that normally uses fast app switching to return you right where you left it if you switch away from the app and back, rebooting will force it to be cleared from RAM and it will start fresh the next time you run it.

In general, the only apps that you need to manually manage are the few that specifically support multitasking (GPS, audio, VOIP). There is no point to removing all of the other things, as the system will automatically clear the RAM used by a suspended app if the foreground app needs it.

THE dAY

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
SFV California
Like mentioned above, you would need a jailbroken app to do this.

But if it helps any, you can close two,three, or four at a time depending how small your fingers are.

Hemmo

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
I dont know about you guys but i became very ocd about closing all apps from "multitasking" and romove background helped me out and my ocd went away,yet another reason to JB..

Hemmo

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
meaby i should write an email to Dr.Phil about this.It would be hit episode :D

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
I support the OP regarding the need for an App that closes all Apps in the multitasking tray without jail breaking your phone. Running Co-Pilot (GPS routing) in background kills my battery and it doesn't close until it is removed from the multitasking tray.

csnplt

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2008
Chicago Area
Someone could actually write an iPhone app that does this. They'd need to allocate all the memory possible within the app, which would have preference over the background apps. This would cause the background apps to be terminated in favor of the foreground app (the task manager). Once the foreground app would be closed, it's memory would be freed as well.

Technically, I'm sure this would work. Realistically, it's hard to know if Apple would allow something like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.