Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lordillingworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Hello, a very simple question, and as I am using iWeb I am sure you will understand I am no computer genius!

I am hoping to stop hosting my iWeb site on mobileme and switch to something like godaddy, I have a quite popular podcast that is hosted on mobileme as part of the site and I am afraid that if I change the hosting that it might break the URLs linking to my site and the podcast feed in iTunes.

Can anybody tell me if this will happen or if I can change hosting without breaking my website, thanks.

PS. Just to get this off my chest, I am changing hosting as apples mobileme data transfer tracking has not been working for months, after having over 231GB of transfer in february and over 100 GB for the rest of the months it is important for me to know which subscription I need to be on!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
As long as you keep the same domain name and update where that name points to, things won't break. The hosts take care of most of this so it's not a hard process.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
If you are using your own domain name, no as long as you upload all the files to the same place on the new host.
If you are using a mobileme subdomain/subdirectory yes

Lordillingworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Thanks for the great replies, it's very helpful to a newbie like me!

I'd stay as far away from GoDaddy as possible when it comes to hosting. They are OK for domain names but it is possible to get sooo much better when it comes to hosting.

I have already got my domain name registered with go daddy, is this likely to be problematic if I try and host somewhere else? Where would you recommend, thanks
Dan

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I have already got my domain name registered with go daddy, is this likely to be problematic if I try and host somewhere else?

No, It is usually better to keep the domain name separate from the host. The host will give you a list of nameservers which you will put in the godaddy control panel.

Where would you recommend, thanks
Dan

I have had a good experience with Hostrail.

Lordillingworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Shropshire, UK
Hhhmm I have just been testing podcast feeds with an old go daddy hosting account I have and it won't load the podcast page in a browser for the world!
It just keeps adding the website name from iWeb endlessly to the middle of the URL and just doesn't load the page.

Very odd, anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for your replies so far,

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.