PDA

View Full Version : Why the need for Apple TV?

Rideherhard
Sep 14, 2010, 05:59 PM
You need your computer on and you need to have it going through your computer, right? why not just hook your laptop to your AVR or TV and get the apple remote? wouldn't this be doing the exact same thing with less limitations?.

Shoesy
Sep 14, 2010, 06:06 PM
I do not have a laptop. I like to use appletv.

PurdueGuy
Sep 14, 2010, 06:08 PM
Another thread on this? This is discussed in countless threads.

Your computer only has to be running if you want to stream from it. Otherwise, it streams from the internet (TV show rentals, Netflix, etc)

You might have multiple TVs in one house, and one media server. The AppleTV is used throughout the house, and you don't need a computer at each location.

markgo2k
Sep 14, 2010, 06:11 PM
The new Apple TV does NOT require a computer. Only an iTunes account.

It supports streaming media from your computer, but unlike the original Apple TV it does not require a computer to use it (as long as you can sign up for an iTunes account on a computer somewhere).

steviem
Sep 14, 2010, 06:12 PM
My computer sits in my bedroom with a nice dual monitor setup. I'm not lugging it downstairs if I want to watch a show on the big tv.

Rideherhard
Sep 14, 2010, 06:14 PM

It supports streaming media from your computer, but unlike the original Apple TV it does not require a computer to use it (as long as you can sign up for an iTunes account on a computer somewhere).

So if you rent TV shows or movies from iTunes where does it store it?...

PurdueGuy
Sep 14, 2010, 06:15 PM
So if you rent TV shows or movies from iTunes where does it store it?...
It doesn't. Well, it probably buffers/stores some in onboard flash. But if you want to rewatch it within the rental period, it will redownload it if needed.

ovrlrd
Sep 14, 2010, 06:19 PM
One word: AirPlay

Arnieaz
Sep 14, 2010, 07:24 PM
I have an EyeTV HD so when I rent a a movie on directv I can also record it.
I can then export it to AppleTV format. Later I can replay it on the new ATV.
Pretty simple for me. It's he only way to get this time limited media back on the big screen. :D

gugy
Sep 14, 2010, 10:43 PM

But it does require a computer on if you want to watch anything you have stored on a computer or external hard drive.

Rideherhard
Sep 14, 2010, 11:54 PM
Hey I don't want to start another thread so maybe someone can help me here?... is my internet speed any good?.

download 1.73mb/s

upload 0.30mb/s

PING 17 ms

Mike Oxard
Sep 15, 2010, 01:21 AM
But it does require a computer on if you want to watch anything you have stored on a computer or external hard drive.

This is because it is hard to get to files on a computer when it isn't turned on :p

UnseenLlama
Sep 15, 2010, 05:50 AM
Hey I don't want to start another thread so maybe someone can help me here?... is my internet speed any good?.

download 1.73mb/s

upload 0.30mb/s

PING 17 ms

That seems to be fairly slow for connections today, especially with services like Comcast internet. Are you on a DSL line? I tried switching out to that from Comcast, but found that the latency and speed was horrible.

Rideherhard
Sep 15, 2010, 11:00 AM
That seems to be fairly slow for connections today, especially with services like Comcast internet. Are you on a DSL line? I tried switching out to that from Comcast, but found that the latency and speed was horrible.

Thanks. Yeah it's DSL, I thought it was on the slower side, I'll have to check into this.

gugy
Sep 15, 2010, 11:52 AM
This is because it is hard to get to files on a computer when it isn't turned on :p

I am talking if the files are on an external drive hook up to an Airport base.

DeusInvictus7
Sep 15, 2010, 01:39 PM

It does require a computer if you want to stream stuff that you already have, where as the old version you could sync media over to the apple tv for later viewing, without a computer.

But back on topic, my need/reason is AirPlay, and a nicer interface for streaming than my 360 or PS3.