Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I woke up this morning to find my iMac whirring away like a 747 trying to take of on a mollasses runway.

I opened activity monitor to see what was causing all the cpu usage, and find out that mail was at 80%!

When I opened mail, I noticed it was in the midst of trying to connect to gmail's pop server. I closed mail, and the mac calmed down. Opened mail again...everything was calm. Everytime I tried to check mail on the gmail account, the cpu went WAY up, and it never goes through with the connection.

I have it set up properly and it was working fine yesterday.

Anyone have any ideas whats up?

p.s. what's kernal task? That was at a very high cpu and memory usage as well.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Josh said:
I woke up this morning to find my iMac whirring away like a 747 trying to take of on a mollasses runway.

I opened activity monitor to see what was causing all the cpu usage, and find out that mail was at 80%!

When I opened mail, I noticed it was in the midst of trying to connect to gmail's pop server. I closed mail, and the mac calmed down. Opened mail again...everything was calm. Everytime I tried to check mail on the gmail account, the cpu went WAY up, and it never goes through with the connection.

I have it set up properly and it was working fine yesterday.

Anyone have any ideas whats up?

p.s. what's kernal task? That was at a very high cpu and memory usage as well.
kernel_task (not kernal task) is the internal name for the Mach kernel of Mac OS X - its core component. Everything hardware-related must go through the kernel, and it plays a crucial role in maintaining system stability. If it dies, freezes, or otherwise stops running, the rest of Mac OS X also comes to a halt. I have a GMail account, but have never tried the POP service.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I use GMail with mail.app and have never experienced a problem - apart from the occasional pop up message asking me to re-enter my password.

I would run the maintenance scripts, repair permissions and hope that the problem doesn't come back. Download Onyx to save you going through the terminal.

Riot_Mac

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
IL
munkle said:
I use GMail with mail.app and have never experienced a problem - apart from the occasional pop up message asking me to re-enter my password.

I would run the maintenance scripts, repair permissions and hope that the problem doesn't come back. Download Onyx to save you going through the terminal.

how do you check your gmail in mail.app

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Riot_Mac said:
how do you check your gmail in mail.app

Via POP access - it's just been recently introduced into Gmail. Click on 'settings' in Gmail, then 'Forwarding and POP' and follow the instructions from there. :)

kylector

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2004
I have this exact problem as well. I will try repairing permissions and such. This is with 10.3.7, latest and greatest. I don't have another POP account to compare to though, and it doesn't do it everytime with gmail. It seems as though if gmail doesn't respond it keeps trying and trying and peaks the procs while it does it. Very weird.

This is dual 2.5 G5.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
Josh said:

Yes, I have also seen it a lot. I guess the problem is with the gmail server.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
yea, gmail's server has been spotty the last few days but i've noticed its worked itself out after a few hours each time....
i had some funny mail problems but it timed out before my computer got really pissy.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I've had some problems with mail and gmail.

Maily, the gmail server rejects my password, no matter how many times I try to put it in. In a few hours, the problem usually sorts itself out, though I have had it go as long as 24 hours without working properly.

Never had it wind my system up though.....

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I see this happen too sometimes...hopefully when Gmail finishes the "beta testing" of the POP service it will get better.....oh yeah!

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I just noticed it happen. I was wondering what was causing the sudden bursts of CPU usage. I open up Activity Monitor and notice Mail is using 96%. So I close mail and everything's fine. It only happens sparingly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.