PDA

View Full Version : If you are having problems with your 2010 pro, where did it ship from?

davelanger
Sep 18, 2010, 11:11 PM
If you are having problems with your 2010 pro, where did it ship from?
Just trying to figure out of they all came from the same factory.

Mine shipped from IRVING, TX

ovrlrd
Sep 18, 2010, 11:37 PM
The shipping location is not a good way to find out which factory it was manufactured in. There is probably a way to figure it out with the serial number, but I am not sure how to figure that out based on that, maybe someone else does.

davelanger
Sep 18, 2010, 11:58 PM
The shipping location is not a good way to find out which factory it was manufactured in. There is probably a way to figure it out with the serial number, but I am not sure how to figure that out based on that, maybe someone else does.

oh I thought where ever it shipped from is where is was put together.

Schismz
Sep 18, 2010, 11:59 PM

I don't think there are any Mac Pros made in Texas, Apple may just send 'em there to re-ship elsewhere. I believe everything comes from Hon Hai (Foxconn) in Shenzhen.

You can obtain extremely detailed system information using Tinkertool System:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerToolSys2.html

Click on [I]nfo.

rajbonham
Sep 19, 2010, 01:02 AM
If you saw the price on a Mac Pro that was completely made in Texas, it would probably make your head spin/explode. ;)

davelanger
Sep 19, 2010, 01:47 AM
I don't think there are any Mac Pros made in Texas, Apple may just send 'em there to re-ship elsewhere. I believe everything comes from Hon Hai (Foxconn) in Shenzhen.

You can obtain extremely detailed system information using Tinkertool System:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerToolSys2.html

Click on [I]nfo.

Even when they add more RAM And Graphics cards, those are also done in Hon Hai?

ovrlrd
Sep 19, 2010, 01:59 AM
Even when they add more RAM And Graphics cards, those are also done in Hon Hai?

Adding more RAM, hard drives, or graphics cards to a Mac Pro is pretty trivial, so I assume they do it since it might be cheaper (it gets boxed up, etc). The reason it shipped from Texas was probably due to warehousing (they stock up on every possible config for quicker shipping) or redirected international shipments.

davelanger
Sep 19, 2010, 02:10 AM
Adding more RAM, hard drives, or graphics cards to a Mac Pro is pretty trivial, so I assume they do it since it might be cheaper (it gets boxed up, etc). The reason it shipped from Texas was probably due to warehousing (they stock up on every possible config for quicker shipping) or redirected international shipments.

Oh ok, I thought the TX warehouse for example would store all of the base models then add the RAM and graphic cards etc made to each order. So maybe one or two of the warehouses had bad batches of video cards that they were installing.

nanofrog
Sep 19, 2010, 02:38 AM
Oh ok, I thought the TX warehouse for example would store all of the base models then add the RAM and graphic cards etc made to each order.
That is what happens for CTO. Base systems can be shipped from there or directly from China for US orders (i.e. when there's a shortage at the warehouse as there's no need to modify any of the internal components, such as when they first begin to ship).

As per the problematic cards, it's hard to say what's going on, as there's little information out to go on (could be firmware, drivers, or a bad batch in terms of the actual hardware).