PDA

View Full Version : iPad Battery Flat With Little Use?

DiScO197
Sep 19, 2010, 05:13 AM
Hi Folks,

Couldn't think of a better title, but last night I charged my ipad to 100%, used it for about 5 minutes (mail/safari) then left it alone till this morning. When I just went to switch it on it was completely flat showing me the red empty battery symbol. Never had that happen before, could it be a problem? any ideas?

Thanks.

Built
Sep 19, 2010, 05:15 AM
Hi Folks,

Couldn't think of a better title, but last night I charged my ipad to 100%, used it for about 5 minutes (mail/safari) then left it alone till this morning. When I just went to switch it on t was completely flat showing me the red empty battery symbol. Never had that happen before, could it be a problem? any ideas?

Thanks.

You might want to check your apps. One or more may be draining it with frequent pushes. Also, how often do you have it set to check your email? I have mine set to manual, and I also have notifications turned off.

All of these things can drain a battery even if you are not physically using the iPad.

eawmp1
Sep 19, 2010, 05:36 AM
You might want to check your apps. One or more may be draining it with frequent pushes. Also, how often do you have it set to check your email? I have mine set to manual, and I also have notifications turned off.

All of these things can drain a battery even if you are not physically using the iPad.

If he went to bed with a full charge and woke up with zero, no mount of push activity can explain that. OP, sound like a battery problem. Repeat a charge and if recurs, replace iPad.

DiScO197
Sep 19, 2010, 05:45 AM

Hi, thanks. I'm pretty sure I've got all that switched off. I've been running it the same way since I got it and the first thing I do is turn push notifications etc off. I'll double check though. I always put mail to manual as I have always done with my iphone. It was very strange as normally they seem to go on forever especially after a full charge. Cheers.

DiScO197
Sep 19, 2010, 05:49 AM
That's what I was thinking eawmp1. It would take a lot to drain that battery from full and there aint no multitasking going on here yet! She's on charge again now so we'll see.

caubeck
Sep 19, 2010, 06:41 AM
Restore via iTunes after a backup to see if it's software. Return for a new one if no improvement. Never heard of this problem before.

DiScO197
Sep 19, 2010, 06:49 AM
Yes, thanks caubeck. I think I'll try a restore when it's charged again.

wingsabr
Sep 19, 2010, 06:55 AM
sound advice. recharge, restore and reuse. if it goes down like that again you should go to Apple Store for exchange.

DiScO197
Sep 23, 2010, 02:05 AM
So I did a full charge and a restore and it hasn't died from full as of yet, but, yesterday I got the 20% left message so I switched it off, went back a couple of hours later and it was dead to the point I could not even get the red battery recharge symbol and had to plug it in to the 10W adapter which after about 5mins it gave the recharge sound and I was able to power it up. I had no apps running, all push, fetch, notifications etc are off. How long would you expect it to last @ 20%? I know that depends on what you are using the device for but sat unused you'd think there would be at least a drop of juice left? Can't be right can it? Seems to drain pretty quick overall. Thanks.

iPhysicist
Sep 23, 2010, 03:47 AM
Go to a Apple Store and let them replace it. Don't bother yourself with possible solutions.

And - this will be one more in the refurb store ;)

WiseDuck
Sep 23, 2010, 05:09 AM
Sounds strange. Mine doesn't even drop one percentage over night.

AM94
Sep 23, 2010, 07:20 AM
the first thing I do is turn push notifications etc off. I'll double check though.

Is there an easy way to check that no apps have push enabled, or do you have to go into each one and check manually?

ngenerator
Sep 23, 2010, 07:32 AM
Is there an easy way to check that no apps have push enabled, or do you have to go into each one and check manually?

Check notifications in Settings

BillyBobBongo
Sep 23, 2010, 07:33 AM
Different question.

Was it still connected to your computer when you went to bed? I find that if I leave my iPod connected overnight to my iMac, and the iMac goes into Sleep Mode, it absolutely hammers the battery on the iPod. Although that might be because I leave it in the Universal dock. I've never tried it without the dock.

AM94
Sep 23, 2010, 11:33 AM
Check notifications in Settings

Thank you