Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I seem to have just run into some very bad luck. I'm selling my 4th gen 20GB iPod on eBay and the auction is due to end today. So I tried to turn on my iPod just now to reset it, but it won't turn on. I press all of the buttons and nothing happens. I thought the battery might be dead (even though it was about half full last night when the iPod was working fine), so I tried plugging it in, but nothing happens. Since last night, my iPod has just been sitting on my desk. Is my iPod dead?

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I tried plugging it into my computer and still nothing. I think to perform a reset, you are suppose to hold down the play and menu buttons, which also has no effect. The thing won't even turn on! How is this possible? What am I suppose to tell the winner of the auction?

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Check out the Apple iPod troubleshooting page:
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/t12b.html

or the general iPod support page:
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Specifically, the troubleshooting page says to press and hold Menu + Select for 6 to 10 seconds.

I had a problem with my 3rd-gen iPod where I would turn it on and the Apple logo would appear, but nothing after that. I was able to plug it into my computer and do a reset (erasing everything on it). But your situation may be different, as it won't do anything at all for you. Obviously make sure the Hold switch is off, but I don't think that would matter anyway since it should still work if you plug it into your computer.

Good luck :(

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
jamdr said:
I seem to have just run into some very bad luck. I'm selling my 4th gen 20GB iPod on eBay and the auction is due to end today. So I tried to turn on my iPod just now to reset it, but it won't turn on. I press all of the buttons and nothing happens. I thought the battery might be dead (even though it was about half full last night when the iPod was working fine), so I tried plugging it in, but nothing happens. Since last night, my iPod has just been sitting on my desk. Is my iPod dead?

DITTO here! Mine is the iPod Photo less than a month old and it died during only it's second slide show on TV. My first time home from abroad in 2 years so I'm all excited to share my pics with friends and family and it just dies during my first showing!! It has the same symptoms as yours (if doing nothing whatsoever can be called a symptom).

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
If it's under warranty:

Tell the buyer that you will only accept money orders, then send it back to Apple in the time it takes to get the M.O.
(or just say there will be a slight shipping delay, and hope they didn't want it for Christmas).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.