PDA

View Full Version : My friend's iPad won't show up in iTunes (PC user, XP, 2004 machine)

jamesryanbell
Sep 24, 2010, 12:44 AM
When he plugs it in via USB (it is 2.0), all of the drivers seem to be loaded just fine (Windows recognizes it), but it never shows in iTunes. Also of note, when he plugs it in and it's on, it merely says "Not Charging". Weird. I've never seen one do that. Would that prevent it from showing up (low powered USB port?). He's using iTunes 10 and Windows XP.

Just thought you guys may be able to help him out. :)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

melman101
Sep 24, 2010, 05:11 AM
When he plugs it in via USB (it is 2.0), all of the drivers seem to be loaded just fine (Windows recognizes it), but it never shows in iTunes. Also of note, when he plugs it in and it's on, it merely says "Not Charging". Weird. I've never seen one do that. Would that prevent it from showing up (low powered USB port?). He's using iTunes 10 and Windows XP.

It has been my experience that all Windows PC's except ASUS and MSI with special drivers show the not charging notification. As for why the iPad doesn't show up, did you try a different computer? Different cable? Reboot ipad? Uninstall itunes and reinstall?

TheXIIIth
Sep 24, 2010, 07:19 AM

I had the same issue when I purchased my first iPod Touch.

Try one of the following solutions [I can't recall which one I used].
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1496
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

After going through the steps I didn't have any further issues when connecting all the other Apple devices I purchased later on.

It says "Not charging" because there isn't enough power in that particular USB port. It's a fairly common phenomenon [the iPad requires a little more power to charge it's battery when compared to all the other Apple devices]

jamesryanbell
Sep 24, 2010, 08:14 AM
It has been my experience that all Windows PC's except ASUS and MSI with special drivers show the not charging notification. As for why the iPad doesn't show up, did you try a different computer? Different cable? Reboot ipad? Uninstall itunes and reinstall?

Haven't tried a different computer yet, but he did try rebooting the computer and the iPad to no avail. Also, he did uninstall/reinstall itunes.

Trying another computer is probably next on the list.

I guess I was just curious if not getting enough power to charge the ipad on a USB port would make iTunes not see it.

I'll update when he calls. Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

MythicFrost
Sep 24, 2010, 08:14 AM
Does he have the latest version of iTunes? iPad won't charge with the screen on either.

Batt
Sep 24, 2010, 10:27 AM
Charging is not related to it showing up in iTunes. As far as I know, they all show not charging (including mine) when plugged into USB.

ConnorTurnbull
Sep 24, 2010, 01:43 PM
This doesn't help your main problem, but if you want to charge via USB, download the Asus Ai Charger software. I have an Asus laptop and it works fine, gut I believe it works on other PCs too.

jamesryanbell
Oct 15, 2010, 12:00 AM
Charging is not related to it showing up in iTunes. As far as I know, they all show not charging (including mine) when plugged into USB.

Mine shows charging when plugged in via USB. Honestly, I've never seen one that doesn't until his.

Also, to answer the post above this one, yes he has iTunes 10.