Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

100033-ipad_mini_mockup.jpg
Previous mockup of 7-inch iPad based on current design
Chinese rumor site Shanzai.com claims (via 9 to 5 Mac) that Apple's rumored 7-inch iPad is a "finished product" and that its design much more closely resembles that of the iPhone 4 than the current iPad. The report also claims that Apple has been floating around at least five different designs in order to throw off those attempting to learn the details of the device.Yes there will be a 7" tablet, yes it's well underway in terms of product development and in fact it's a finished product. Yes 5 plus different designs have been floating around to help Apple protect itself from people discovering its next product look and feel but... the final design will in fact bear more resemblance to the iPhone 4 stylings than the original iPad design.Rumors of a 7-inch tablet from Apple predate even the iPad's introduction, but have obviously yet to come to fruition. Claims of a smaller iPad have continued to circulate in the months since, with the most recent set surfacing last month to claim that the smaller second-generation iPad might make an appearance in time for this year's holiday season.

Article Link: 7-Inch iPad Resembling iPhone 4 Now a 'Finished Product'?

RHatton

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Louisville, KY
Why???? The 9.7 in. is perfect. It's large enough to have a fully functional keyboard and is pleasant for viewing. 7in. is too close to the line between an iPhone and an iPad.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Good news everyone! I will have one. 7" is a nice size for me. My phone - is my phone - I do not need an iPhone to just phone. but this little gadget would fit my needs better than the new iPod touch.

Mac-Mariachi

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
If they do roll

If in fact Apple is going to do this iPad I highly doubt it will be available for this Holiday season. March - April will seem more like it.

I´ve never read on Macrumors about Apple ordering 7" touchscreens from an asian manufacturer. This things usually are known months before, but I might be wrong. I want to be wrong.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I don't need a smaller one, and will get rid of mine and replace it with a new 9.7" if it gets FaceTime, though we really also need FaceTime Desktop to connect to iChat users. But more like the iP4, I hope this doesn't mean flat. The curved back is ergo, makes it easier to pick up and handle.

chameleon81

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
I rather have 7 inch iPad. Only question I have in my mind is if PDF's will be displayed nicely on a 7 iPad.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
More in-line with the Kindle/Nook eBook size. Lighter and easier to handle. Improved supply chain. Typical Apple Small/Medium/Large product differentiation. (iPod touch/7"iPad/10"iPad=13"/15"/17" Macbooks).

What's not to like?

As long as it's still 1024x768 or 960x640 it should be a fine addition to the iOS family.

B

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
fake

This picture is an obvious fake. Look at the Home button. It is always the same size on all iOS devices, yet on this 7" iPad it is smaller, just like they simply scaled the entire image of the current iPad. Its a FAKE!

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Choice my friend... choice!

Plus, I would think it would be a cheaper price point. I was never a fan of the rumored smaller iPad, but, with the right features (like a camera) it would be kick butt for the holidays. But they would have to upgrade the current model too. Apple would clean up if they released new iPads before the end of the year. It's already a big seller, but this with an update and more games in time for the holidays.... big win for Apple if they do.

murkurb

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
A smaller iPad, with a lower price is a great move by Apple to compete with Kindle and other ereaders. When the new 7 inch iPad finally makes its appearance, it will be available to almost everybody in the country according to recent news that the iPad will soon be sold in more retails stores.

Those who were on the edge about buying the first iPad model will probably make then leap this time and go for then cheaper, smaller version.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
as long as it doesn't replace the current size. The current size is perfect (for me, of course) to browse web pages and read comic books (nerd alert). With a 7" I'd have to pinch and zoom to read the panels.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
If in fact Apple is going to do this iPad I highly doubt it will be available for this Holiday season. March - April will seem more like it.

I´ve never read on Macrumors about Apple ordering 7" touchscreens from an asian manufacturer. This things usually are known months before, but I might be wrong. I want to be wrong.

If this is true, I think it will be out when 4.2 is released.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
This picture is an obvious fake. Look at the Home button. It is always the same size on all iOS devices, yet on this 7" iPad it is smaller, just like they simply scaled the entire image of the current iPad. Its a FAKE!

It's a mockup silly, says right on it.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
I rather have 7 inch iPad. Only question I have in my mind is if PDF's will be displayed nicely on a 7 iPad.

I guess that depends on the PDF you got in mind. Scientific papers are probably a bit of a hassle .. books may work just fine.
I would guess they would increase the resolution a bit compared to the current 9.7" iPad .. not directly retina ppi .. but maybe a little better.

Anyhow .. I like the current iPad form factor .. put in a couple more features and I may think about it.

T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.