PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Input?

herbiehancock00
Sep 26, 2010, 11:35 PM
Now that the iPad is officially available in China and Hong Kong, any updates on Chinese input?

Night Spring
Sep 26, 2010, 11:44 PM
Now that the iPad is officially available in China and Hong Kong, any updates on Chinese input?

It has input for simplified Chinese, but not for traditional. Wonder how that is going to go over in Hong Kong...

Ciclismo
Sep 26, 2010, 11:50 PM
Maybe with 4.2? There is mention of more keyboards coming, but no mention of specifics beyond Arabic, Greek, and Hebrew. Source (http://www.apple.com/ipad/software-update/)

thelookingglass
Sep 27, 2010, 12:59 AM
Could anyone who has installed 4.2 take a look? seems odd that Apple would just overlook this issue. Huge user base in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Wouldn't even be surprised if Taiwan / Hong Kong surpassed the number of units sold in the PRC.

Ciclismo
Sep 27, 2010, 01:17 AM
Could anyone who has installed 4.2 take a look? seems odd that Apple would just overlook this issue. Huge user base in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Wouldn't even be surprised if Taiwan / Hong Kong surpassed the number of units sold in the PRC.

AFAIK none of the new keyboard layouts have been included in the first beta - at least I have not found any information or posts anywhere that say so.

praetorian909
Nov 22, 2010, 10:29 PM
Forgot to check back in this thread--Traditional Chinese is indeed in iOS 4.2! I had hoped & expected this to happen (since it's been on every generation of the iPhone) so I'm definitely glad Apple did not disappoint.

Just finished updating so I can add some screen shots in a bit if needed.