PDA

View Full Version : So the wife gave me permission to buy an iPad ...

cmeisenzahl
Sep 27, 2010, 10:11 AM
Do we have a rough ETA on new hardware coming for it? If I buy one, it will be a LONG while before I'm allowed to by another and I can wait for a while if it won't be too long. ;-)

Thanks!

TraceyS/FL
Sep 27, 2010, 10:15 AM
It appears to be on a annual cycle.

I'd say not before next march.

We own 2, and I'd buy another today if I could...

Enjoy it!!!

phobic99
Sep 27, 2010, 10:18 AM
iPad 2nd Gen = April 19, 2011.

Mark it.

Of course I have no idea and neither does anyone else outside of the people designing/marketing/testing it.

DiamondGCoupe
Sep 27, 2010, 10:24 AM
Of course I have no idea and neither does anyone else outside of the people designing/marketing/testing it.

This should be bolded. I would expect slightly sooner but buy now and sell it when a new one is out. Will have high resale value in good condition.

nlkccom
Sep 27, 2010, 10:31 AM
The 2nd gen will probably come out around March or April 2011. We're still 6-7 months away from that being released. I just got mine over the weekend, and will probably sell it and get a new one when the 2nd gen releases.

Just get it NOW and enjoy it NOW! :D

xraytech
Sep 27, 2010, 11:27 AM
Do we have a rough ETA on new hardware coming for it? If I buy one, it will be a LONG while before I'm allowed to by another and I can wait for a while if it won't be too long. ;-)

Thanks!

Buy it now.

bowlerman625
Sep 27, 2010, 11:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Buy it.
Enjoy.

Mr Kram
Sep 27, 2010, 11:35 AM
buy now and enjoy. if a new one is released in 6 months, ask the wife if you can upgrade.

kirky29
Sep 27, 2010, 11:36 AM
Yup buy it now :)

gatearray
Sep 27, 2010, 11:43 AM
Who cares when the new one is coming out??? You should hurry and buy it now before your wife suddenly changes her mind and tells you the deal is off!

And for those who are single and free to make sole decisions on how to spend money, you should buy it now, too... The iPad rules as-is!

:)

Scarpad
Sep 27, 2010, 11:51 AM
I'm Happy with mine a Camera and Facetime would'nt be enough to make me replace my 64gb 3G

merics
Sep 27, 2010, 12:04 PM

Thanks!

From one husband to another... When the wife gives the purchase green light on gadgets... you don't hesitate :-)

Now go get your iPad!

cmeisenzahl
Sep 27, 2010, 12:22 PM
LOL, thanks, all!

Think I'll grab one ASAP! :D

Alaerian
Sep 27, 2010, 12:51 PM

Enjoy it!!!
How do you figure an annual cycle? What's your source? With only a singular release, you have no data to make a determination on cycle times.

nixiemaiden
Sep 27, 2010, 01:00 PM
How do you figure an annual cycle? What's your source? With only a singular release, you have no data to make a determination on cycle times.

It is all speculation based on apple's history and rumors that have been going around. Calm down.

Alaerian
Sep 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
It is all speculation based on apple's history and rumors that have been going around. Calm down.
I'm perfectly calm. I simply dislike misinformation.

saberahul
Sep 27, 2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks!

My wife didn't give me permission but I sneaked out and bought it. :)

xraytech
Sep 27, 2010, 01:39 PM

Just purely speculation. Apple will USUALLY tease the next gen WHATEVER at the next MacWorld, which is USUALLY late January. Then 2-3 months after that is USUALLY the release date, which fall into the USUAL yearly refresh for Apple.

redman042
Sep 27, 2010, 01:44 PM
You have to ask yourself if 6 more months without the iPad is worth it to get an incremental upgrade in features. I'd get it now and enjoy it for those 6 months, which is a rather long time.

Also keep in mind these devices hold great value on eBay, so if you do really want to upgrade later, the net cost will be fairly small.

jaw04005
Sep 27, 2010, 01:48 PM
Just purely speculation. Apple will USUALLY tease the next gen WHATEVER at the next MacWorld, which is USUALLY late January. Then 2-3 months after that is USUALLY the release date, which fall into the USUAL yearly refresh for Apple.

Apple pulled out of Macworld Expo last year.

The reason some expect a once per year upgrade cycle is because that's what happens with the iPhone and iPod.

Phil Schiller talked about this with David Pogue a few years ago.

"[Schiller] noted that Apple marches to certain annual product cycles: the holiday season (Novemberish), the educational buying season (late summer), the iPod product cycle (October), the iLife development cycle (usually March), the iPhone cycle (June). January doesn’t fit ANY of them."

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/a-strange-macworld-expo/

Considering the current generation iPad hasn't even launched in every country Apple offers products, it's a safe bet there's not another coming until next year.

maturola
Sep 27, 2010, 02:23 PM
Buy it now.

I secodn this, go ahead and buy one NOW....go. Stop reading this, take your car and go buy one :cool:

barkomatic
Sep 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
I'd suppress your desire to get a new gadget now and wait. It's *likely* to be released this spring and will be big improvement over the current model. I have an iPad and really enjoy it--but I bought it on launch day so I've already gotten a lot of use for it.

Believe me, once a new model comes out with a higher screen resolution, a camera, and more RAM -- you are going to regret it getting one now. This iPad is a rough draft of things to come.

Withdraw the money from the bank in cash and hide it from your wife in a drawer. :)

sapporobaby
Sep 27, 2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks!

Do you realize how sad that sounds? My wife gave me permission to do something. Weak dude. It's one thing to say that money is tight and we have to be frugal as a family with our purchases, but to say that you have to get permission from your wife to make a purchase sounds truly sad and emasculating.

Being that you have "permission", buy it before she changes your mind.

sracer
Sep 27, 2010, 03:55 PM
I'd suppress your desire to get a new gadget now and wait. It's *likely* to be released this spring and will be big improvement over the current model. I have an iPad and really enjoy it--but I bought it on launch day so I've already gotten a lot of use for it.

Believe me, once a new model comes out with a higher screen resolution, a camera, and more RAM -- you are going to regret it getting one now. This iPad is a rough draft of things to come.

Withdraw the money from the bank in cash and hide it from your wife in a drawer. :)

The one and major drawback to your approach is that if the next iPad is as different from the current model as you say, then theree is a greater risk of there being problems with it. So even if a new model is released in the spring of 2011, he should wait an additional month or two after the new model is in consumers' hands before actually buying one. That moves the date out into the Summer.

The OPshould buy one now and get use and enjoyment from it. If he has any vacation time coming up for the holidays then that will give him some more time to play with it.

barkomatic
Sep 27, 2010, 04:03 PM
The one and major drawback to your approach is that if the next iPad is as different from the current model as you say, then theree is a greater risk of there being problems with it. So even if a new model is released in the spring of 2011, he should wait an additional month or two after the new model is in consumers' hands before actually buying one. That moves the date out into the Summer.

The OPshould buy one now and get use and enjoyment from it. If he has any vacation time coming up for the holidays then that will give him some more time to play with it.

I disagree. I think the experience of engineering the first iPad will make Apple better prepared for the second one. Besides, I don't recall any major problems I had with my unit--and the iPad is a totally new product category.

After the release of the new model, I don't see any need to wait. If one has a problem, there is always the genius bar. In the unlikely event that the problem is a no-go, then one can always return it.

The only "problem" I see is that it may take awhile for apps to catch up to whatever the new screen resolution it is--*if* Apple updates it. This wasn't a big deal for the iPhone 4 however, and I don't expect it will be for the iPad when this change is made.

maturola
Sep 27, 2010, 04:16 PM
Do you realize how sad that sounds? My wife gave me permission to do something. Weak dude. It's one thing to say that money is tight and we have to be frugal as a family with our purchases, but to say that you have to get permission from your wife to make a purchase sounds truly sad and emasculating.

Being that you have "permission", buy it before she changes your mind.

YOu must be young or singel, anyone who is married will know exactly what the OP was talking about. And believe me it have nothing to do with being "emasculating", the fact the he share the decision with his partner about a $500+ purchase says a lot about himself and about his relationship :cool:

iHeartapple2
Sep 27, 2010, 04:25 PM
Watch out it's a trap! :D

If the wife gave you the ok to go out and buy a iPad and you actually do it then watch out. She will use this against you in the next argument for sure! :(

TraceyS/FL
Sep 27, 2010, 05:16 PM

Enjoy it!!!

I said, it APPEARS to be on an annual cycle, i didn't state it as fact.

Annual, like the iPods and iPhone are.... It doesn't take a genius to figure out we probably won't see a new one this holiday season.

But hey, keep on thinking what you want.... The OP asked for opinions and i offered. Feel free to counter on your own!

I also felt it was important to say that I'd buy another today if could, and not be waiting for the upgrade. It does what we need so that makes it worth buying now.

Anyway, Steve is the only one that really knows..... Try asking him!

sapporobaby
Sep 27, 2010, 05:23 PM
YOu must be young or singel, anyone who is married will know exactly what the OP was talking about. And believe me it have nothing to do with being "emasculating", the fact the he share the decision with his partner about a $500+ purchase says a lot about himself and about his relationship :cool:

It could also be that I make a lot of money.

sracer
Sep 27, 2010, 05:42 PM
It could also be that I make a lot of money.
This. I know what you mean. You can get to a point where you make enough money to take care of expenses and savings and still have some over for "luxuries"... the interesting thing is that when you get to that point you end up not buying everything in sight... simply because you know that you can. :)

sapporobaby
Sep 27, 2010, 05:50 PM
This. I know what you mean. You can get to a point where you make enough money to take care of expenses and savings and still have some over for "luxuries"... the interesting thing is that when you get to that point you end up not buying everything in sight... simply because you know that you can. :)

Exactly but the other point I was trying to make was that the OP should not have to have permission to live. A marriage, relationship is a two-way street. If it works for him so much the better, but as an adult in a relationship that is supposed to be founded 50-50, I think the OP should know well enough if purchasing an iPad is feasible or not. This without the need to ask permission. Personally I could not and would not live this way.

As for my purchasing habits, even though I make a very good salary I tend to be very frugal. My daughter had a gen 1 iPod. Gen 1. About 3 or so years old, and her phone also tanked a few days ago, so to save money I got her a new iPhone 4. Living in Finland, the phone costs and data costs are very inexpensive.

Dr Kevorkian94
Sep 27, 2010, 06:27 PM
They really have to step it up for me to buy a new iPad, like a better screen, cameras, sd card slot, better processor, better ram, I wold need at least 3 of thoes.

Mr Kram
Sep 27, 2010, 06:30 PM
Exactly but the other point I was trying to make was that the OP should not have to have permission to live. A marriage, relationship is a two-way street. If it works for him so much the better, but as an adult in a relationship that is supposed to be founded 50-50, I think the OP should know well enough if purchasing an iPad is feasible or not. This without the need to ask permission. Personally I could not and would not live this way.

As for my purchasing habits, even though I make a very good salary I tend to be very frugal. My daughter had a gen 1 iPod. Gen 1. About 3 or so years old, and her phone also tanked a few days ago, so to save money I got her a new iPhone 4. Living in Finland, the phone costs and data costs are very inexpensive.

that's why you're not married to his wife. i, myself, could not live that way either. there's nothing wrong with his relationship, it's just the way it is. i know of some guys that have to ask permission to pee, so it's not all that bad in this case. :D

ohaithar
Sep 27, 2010, 06:43 PM
She must be talking about buying a different kind of pad........

j/k

I'm guessing the revamped iPad will come out next March, but If I were you buy it now.

SVT Amateur
Sep 27, 2010, 08:34 PM

Every relationship is different. My wife and I live on a strict budget in which everything is budgeted the month before and we set aside a set amount of cash for groceries and dining out. We do have the ability to buy things that are less than $50 that are necessities (i.e. clothes for my son if she finds good deals on them or a pair of jeans for herself if she needs a new pair of jeans) but usually anything above that has to be cleared with both parties and the budget would have to be altered.

We don't do this because we don't trust each other but because we trust each other. An iPad purchase certainly would have to be approved by both parties and there would be some fact-finding, testing of products, and discussion before the purchase was made (just like we did when we purchased the one we currently have). We do make a pretty good income but our number one goal right now is to finish paying off our student loans and by being strict with our budget and accountable to each other it helps us stay on track.

With that said, I'm sure one day when we don't have any debt and our income has increased we will allow each to buy more expensive items without the others' approval. But hopefully you could see how a couple making $50,000 a year together (just throwing that out as an example) might have an issue if one decided to go buy a $500 iPad without asking the other's permission first.

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 27, 2010, 08:51 PM
I really only want one thing from the next iPad release:

An honest-to-god stylus-friendly OS. Its obvious people want to use the thing as a writing/drawing surface. Give us software that allows the end-user to configure intentional 'dead spaces' to rest our wrist comfortably, with an Apple-engineered handwriting input (not a big fan of handwriting recognition actually) mechanism that takes the best approaches offered by the umpteen "notepad" apps out there already. Make it part of the core OS. While you are at it, give me the ability to tether a REAL stylus to the thing so I don't have to use these goofy sponge-tipped sticks with the thing. I don't care how they accomplish this, but let me choose to use my fat stubby finger or a stylus.

Camera's, smaller form factor, better screen, more memory, etc.....I could care less. I just hate that I bought something that would be PERFECT to use in one way and I have to find a bunch of workarounds or settle for less-than-perfect UI restrictions because it wasn't built for that purpose, so sayeth the Jobseth.

Night Spring
Sep 27, 2010, 11:06 PM
Give us software that allows the end-user to configure intentional 'dead spaces' to rest our wrist comfortably

It just occured to me that all you need is some kind of pad under your wrist that doesn't conduct electricity. Maybe if you made a wearable one like those wrist-bands tennis players have around their wrists? Oh, how about a fingerless glove? Anyone care to try and see if it works? :D

Lunchb0x8
Sep 28, 2010, 02:00 AM
Mine was an early wedding present from my wife-to-be.

Was stoked when she told me to just buy it already!!

I bought her a MacBook last week, she is in love with it!

Zompac
Sep 28, 2010, 02:47 AM
I love this iPad and think it's the best thing ever but when the iPhone 4 came out it kind of hurt. Because it made me think a lot about what the next iPad would be like. It's going to be a lot better than this one so just wait till next year, it won't be that long, trust me.

Mitchrapp
Sep 28, 2010, 04:10 AM
I disagree. I think the experience of engineering the first iPad will make Apple better prepared for the second one. Besides, I don't recall any major problems I had with my unit--and the iPad is a totally new product category.

After the release of the new model, I don't see any need to wait. If one has a problem, there is always the genius bar. In the unlikely event that the problem is a no-go, then one can always return it.

The only "problem" I see is that it may take awhile for apps to catch up to whatever the new screen resolution it is--*if* Apple updates it. This wasn't a big deal for the iPhone 4 however, and I don't expect it will be for the iPad when this change is made.

Everything, iPads, cell phones, software, hardware, games -- they all have something wrong at the start. Doesn't me you won't be jazzed about the new toy but don't kid yourself, there will be quirks.

ngenerator
Sep 28, 2010, 07:57 AM
My wife didn't give me permission but I sneaked out and bought it. :)

This. I got sick of not being able to spend my own money, so I got mine without permission :D

Watch out it's a trap! :D

If the wife gave you the ok to go out and buy a iPad and you actually do it then watch out. She will use this against you in the next argument for sure! :(

LOL, I remember a post like this a few months back when the iPad first launched. It's still pretty much the truest response to date ;)

Audi09
Sep 28, 2010, 09:23 AM
ask your wife if she will give you permission to buy a set of balls too.
don't you make your own money?

theelex
Sep 28, 2010, 09:38 AM
For the rest of the current product life cycle until the next gen comes in the next Spring, There's plenty of time you can enjoy it. I bet you spend some time arguing or kneeing down your wife to buy it. If you you don't buy it now meaning your expectation for the gen2 is higher as you might heard from different source about its specs and you will feel more and more wanting to buy the gen2. I've discussed with my wife whether it will fit our life style (one kid family). We agree to get one but have been waiting for couple of months for it to come Thailand (ignore grey market) but seems no good news. So we decided to wait for the next gen in the next half a year, that fine for us. I expect these specs as heard from many sources :
1. Retina display
2. More ram
3. Faster speed with dual core (at least equal as major rival, PlayBook from BB)
4. Dual cameras
5. Ligther (from LiquidMetal technology)

Share us after you buy it (tomorrow right) ;)

Mitchrapp
Sep 28, 2010, 09:44 AM
ask your wife if she will give you permission to buy a set of balls too.
don't you make your own money?

You're kidding, right? Your money is her money, it's a marriage not a one night stand.

sapporobaby
Sep 28, 2010, 09:46 AM
For the rest of the current product life cycle until the next gen comes in the next Spring, There's plenty of time you can enjoy it. I bet you spend some time arguing or kneeing down your wife to buy it. If you you don't buy it now meaning your expectation for the gen2 is higher as you might heard from different source about its specs and you will feel more and more wanting to buy the gen2. I've discussed with my wife whether it will fit our life style (one kid family). We agree to get one but have been waiting for couple of months for it to come Thailand (ignore grey market) but seems no good news. So we decided to wait for the next gen in the next half a year, that fine for us. I expect these specs as heard from many sources :
1. Retina display
2. More ram
3. Faster speed with dual core (at least equal as major rival, PlayBook from BB)
4. Dual cameras

Quote your reputable sources please regarding points:

Because they are not true and are out and out FUD....

sapporobaby
Sep 28, 2010, 09:48 AM
You're kidding, right? Your money is her money, it's a marriage not a one night stand.

It has nothing to do with being a one night stand. It is about respect. If he wants to live by his wife's opinion and whims then so be it. My wife has her money and I have mine, and we have our, but if I want to buy an iPad, I can be damn sure I will not ask her opinion. As long as I meet my financial obligations she has nothing to say about what I buy and the same goes for her.

Mitchrapp
Sep 28, 2010, 09:52 AM
It has nothing to do with being a one night stand. It is about respect. If he wants to live by his wife's opinion and whims then so be it. My wife has her money and I have mine, and we have our, but if I want to buy an iPad, I can be damn sure I will not ask her opinion. As long as I meet my financial obligations she has nothing to say about what I buy and the same goes for her.

I agree, I think you misinterpreted what I wrote in reply to the guy before me.

But you'll find that most couple at least talk about big purchases. "I'll buy my iPad, as long as I pay the mortgage - its fine" usually doesn't fly. But not every marriage is the same.

sapporobaby
Sep 28, 2010, 09:54 AM
I agree, I think you misinterpreted what I wrote in reply to the guy before me.

My bad dude. Sorry about that. :)

bwrairen
Sep 28, 2010, 10:06 AM
I don't know why people are so concerned about "when to buy" Apple products. Apple's resell value is exponentially greater than their nearest competitors. Buy it when you want it. Sell it when the new generation comes out. The upgrade cost won't be excruciating.

And every relationship is different guys. If it makes you feel good about yourself to get on here and proclaim yourself master of the universe because you have the money and independence to buy whatever and whenever you wish, by all means, go for it. All of us are not in that situation. I discuss purchases with my gf all the time, and we aren't even married. But we do live in a combined income household, so it is her right to be included in those decisions.

cmvsm
Sep 28, 2010, 10:14 AM

LOL...Who are you to say that its not an annual cycle? What's the basis for your commentary? You don't know either, so your opinion and comments are just as invalid as the rest.

mrathee
Sep 28, 2010, 10:17 AM
LOL...Who are you to say that its not an annual cycle? What's the basis for your commentary? You don't know either, so your opinion and comments are just as invalid as the rest.

Actually, his/her comment is perfectly valid because they aren't assuming anything. He/she is asking what the facts are behind the other poster's assumptions.

They aren't saying: "what makes you say it is an annual cycle? It is obviously coming out in January."

No, they are just saying "what makes you say it is an annual cycle?"

Pretty silly to jump on their case for that.

----

On another note: I agree with the annual cycle based on Apple's regular product cycles. Who knows - every one of us is operating solely on assumptions and could be completely wrong anyway.

TraceyS/FL
Sep 28, 2010, 10:19 AM
And every relationship is different guys. If it makes you feel good about yourself to get on here and proclaim yourself master of the universe because you have the money and independence to buy whatever and whenever you wish, by all means, go for it. All of us are not in that situation. I discuss purchases with my gf all the time, and we aren't even married. But we do live in a combined income household, so it is her right to be included in those decisions.

I typed a long post.... Then deleted it.

But this is what i was trying to get out. A healthy attitude about "yours, mine and ours" is required.

I'm overly sensitive to all that was posted because for the last 5 years or so I've been in an emotionally and economically abusive marriage. The good news is i go to trial next month, AND after 22 months he appears to be moving out before the judge reefs him out. Yay me.

If i ever do this couple thing again.... Things will be different. Some of you wouldn't make the potential list. :D

ngenerator
Sep 28, 2010, 10:27 AM

But this is what i was trying to get out. A healthy attitude about "yours, mine and ours" is required.

I'm overly sensitive to all that was posted because for the last 5 years or so I've been in an emotionally and economically abusive marriage. The good news is i go to trial next month, AND after 22 months he appears to be moving out before the judge reefs him out. Yay me.

If i ever do this couple thing again.... Things will be different. Some of you wouldn't make the potential list. :D

Good on ya! I was in a similar situation, but no marriage for me :) I was lucky enough to get out halfway through (1 year) into the engagement. It was completely dysfunctional and I would never wish that upon anybody, much less a bad marriage. Good luck!

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 28, 2010, 10:33 AM

A wise person once told me that if each part of the couple spends exactly 51% of their life focusing on the needs and happiness of their partner, and it is reciprocated the same way in kind, you both end up with 100% and lose the selfish attitude in the journey. Its worked for over 22 years for us thus far....and it had worked for them for over 50 years when they told me that.

The key, of course, is finding a partner who shares the same philosophy. That's hard to do when you bring "yours and mine" into a conversation about "us." Marriage counselors today may proclaim otherwise...but then, they have a vested interest in their chosen vocations.

TraceyS/FL
Sep 28, 2010, 10:43 AM
Good on ya! I was in a similar situation, but no marriage for me :) I was lucky enough to get out halfway through (1 year) into the engagement. It was completely dysfunctional and I would never wish that upon anybody, much less a bad marriage. Good luck!
I'd not wish the he'll of the last 2 years on my worst enemy.

I've been married for 18 years....

A wise person once told me that if each part of the couple spends exactly 51% of their life focusing on the needs and happiness of their partner, and it is reciprocated the same way in kind, you both end up with 100% and lose the selfish attitude in the journey. Its worked for over 22 years for us thus far....and it had worked for them for over 50 years when they told me that.

The key, of course, is finding a partner who shares the same philosophy. That's hard to do when you bring "yours and mine" into a conversation about "us." Marriage counselors today may proclaim otherwise...but then, they have a vested interest in their chosen vocations.

Good advice! Ours wasn't bad the first 9-10 years, but the last 8 have been horrid. Hard to live with someone that hates their life and doesn't realize how much happier they'd with help.

I'm sorry for my kids sake it took as long as it did for me to decide enough is enough, but we will all get thru it.

And ya, the list of things to talk about next time around is long.... Single life is sounding nice! LOL!!

tesilential
Sep 28, 2010, 12:05 PM
off topic

hcho3
Sep 28, 2010, 12:39 PM
1. Retina display
2. More ram
4. Dual cameras

All this for 499 dollars? Not happening. Retina Display is so not happening.

redman042
Sep 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
All this for 499 dollars? Not happening. Retina Display is so not happening.

Agree. I don't expect a resolution bump for a couple generations. Look at all the competition coming out... they are all 1024x600 (ie. LESS than the current iPad).

A retina display at the iPad's screen size would be far more technically challenging (and costly) to implement than the iPhone 4's.

People just need to hold the iPad at a bit farther distance than the iPhone, sit back, and enjoy it. It looks great.

mikechan1234
Sep 28, 2010, 02:35 PM

Lmao is this thread about relationships now? :P

Gloor
Sep 28, 2010, 04:22 PM
Isn't it a bit sad that you need permission from your spouse to buy something with your own money?

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 28, 2010, 04:25 PM
Lmao is this thread about relationships now? :P

We are talking Apple products....they are ALWAYS about relationships.

diabolic
Sep 28, 2010, 04:26 PM
Isn't it a bit sad that you need permission from your spouse to buy something with your own money?

For a lot of us with a spouse, it's our money, collectively, not individually. And that's by choice.

sapporobaby
Sep 28, 2010, 04:53 PM

Good for you. Kick the bum out. Life is too short to be with someone and be miserable. You can be miserable alone. :)

ravenas
Sep 28, 2010, 06:39 PM
FWIW, I debated long and hard before I got my iPad. It's not a "need" product but simply a "want". That puts it in discretionary spending and much hemming and hawing.

I finally pulled the trigger on it because I had spent a month looking after my senior dad, had to cancel my birthday trip to Disney to continue caring for him and felt I could gift myself the thing as a pick-me-up.

My BIL craved one too but he'd never get it for himself because it's just too much money to throw away when you have a mortgage and kids. But seeing how much I enjoyed mine, my sister decided to gift her hubbie one for his birthday. They're both ecstatic about that.

Having used my iPad for a month now I can honestly say it was worth it. It doesn't replace my laptops but does allow me to use a computer in ways I couldn't before. I specifically enjoy reading on the device. Watching videos and playing games is also fun. The PIM functions (email, contacts, calendar) are so much easier on the iPad than laptop too. The weight is a bit wearing after a while and I do wish it had cameras (a Skype video over WiFi app would be killer), but the size is just right for viewing. I'd also love a built-in video out and memory card slot.

I'm not enamored with the 7" displays coming out. I have a 10" netbook with the same resolution and it's tiny. I bumped up to a 12" (with a comparable display to an iPad) and it feels right.

I wish I had not second-guessed myself and got the 64GB instead of the 32GB. I'm glad I didn't get the 3G (my VirginMobile MiFi is a more versatile device). I expect next year Apple will come out with an even better device, perhaps lighter and definitely with cameras.

Since it has filled a void for me, I plan to upgrade with version 2.0 and gift my 1.0 device to my brother. He's paying a mortgage and raising 4 kids (all approaching teenage years). I expect he won't have money for tech toys for quite some time. I'd be happy to be the gifting sister to him. He could use a break.

Gloor
Sep 29, 2010, 12:35 AM
For a lot of us with a spouse, it's our money, collectively, not individually. And that's by choice.

So you lose the freedom of choice? You work really hard, your spouse works really hard. You both contribute yet you need to get permission? What happens if she/he says NO! Do you resent her/him? Do you buy it anyway? Do you not buy it as he/she said no but you really want that think?

I know that there are a lot of "models" for the correct way but I found this one to be the one with biggest flaws. I can't imagine going to my wife and say: "Can I please buy an iPad because I really like it and really want it". To me, its like asking my mum if I can buy something years ago when I was a child.
:))

What I always had is that both partners contribute evenly (either by specific amount or by % of their salary depending on the fact if there is a big gap in income or not) and that goes to join account. Everything else is yours and her for spending so If I make lets say $10000 and I contribute $3000 to the join account then I have $7000 for myself. Same works for the partner. I think this is way healthier model as its the best of both.

TraceyS/FL
Sep 29, 2010, 08:09 AM
I wish everyone would say if they were married, single, divorced..... You know, because it makes armchair analyzing sooooo much easier! :)

So you lose the freedom of choice? You work really hard, your spouse works really hard. You both contribute yet you need to get permission? What happens if she/he says NO! Do you resent her/him? Do you buy it anyway? Do you not buy it as he/she said no but you really want that think?

I know that there are a lot of "models" for the correct way but I found this one to be the one with biggest flaws. I can't imagine going to my wife and say: "Can I please buy an iPad because I really like it and really want it". To me, its like asking my mum if I can buy something years ago when I was a child.
:))

it really will depend on the relationship. I've been married for 18y5m (but whose counting?). We had a healthy way of dealing with finances for awhile, but when things switched to him being the sole provider so i could stay home with the kids, his attitude changed to "his money" and the rest of us be damned. His parents have the "my money" thing going on, and I hear some really unhealthy stuff from them. As in, "you owe me $15 because i bought your dinner." In their case they don't have a joint account at all.

How is this healthy in a relationship? It is indicative in a variety of problems i see in their relationship, and what developed in mine. My "husband" can't see/hear that in his case with a wife and 3 kids that maybe family should come first. What works 1/2 way for his parents is because they are in their late 60's and retired.

Anything can be made to work if their is healthy respect for all parties involved.

What I always had is that both partners contribute evenly (either by specific amount or by % of their salary depending on the fact if there is a big gap in income or not) and that goes to join account. Everything else is yours and her for spending so If I make lets say $10000 and I contribute $3000 to the join account then I have $7000 for myself. Same works for the partner. I think this is way healthier model as its the best of both.
I would say you have it backwards..... That a fixed amount for personal spending to each partner is better. Because if you are "getting" 7k to spend a month and your partner is only left with $200, it's going to get ugly over time.

It just depends on the family makeup and the parties involved.

I'm pretty sure most of you would find me a cheap wife. :D Throw some tech at me 1-2x a year and I'm good to go, well, as long as i have enough to get a haircut and feed my comfy shoe fetish every so often.

But again, everyone shouldn't be so quick to judge the OP and others for what works in their relationship. Give them mega kudos for having the ability to communicate on the subject.....

sapporobaby
Sep 29, 2010, 08:21 AM
I wish everyone would say if they were married, single, divorced..... You know, because it makes armchair analyzing sooooo much easier! :)

it really will depend on the relationship. I've been married for 18y5m (but whose counting?). We had a healthy way of dealing with finances for awhile, but when things switched to him being the sole provider so i could stay home with the kids, his attitude changed to "his money" and the rest of us be damned. His parents have the "my money" thing going on, and I hear some really unhealthy stuff from them. As in, "you owe me $15 because i bought your dinner." In their case they don't have a joint account at all.

How is this healthy in a relationship? It is indicative in a variety of problems i see in their relationship, and what developed in mine. My "husband" can't see/hear that in his case with a wife and 3 kids that maybe family should come first. What works 1/2 way for his parents is because they are in their late 60's and retired.

Anything can be made to work if their is healthy respect for all parties involved.

I would say you have it backwards..... That a fixed amount for personal spending to each partner is better. Because if you are "getting" 7k to spend a month and your partner is only left with $200, it's going to get ugly over time.

It just depends on the family makeup and the parties involved.

I'm pretty sure most of you would find me a cheap wife. :D Throw some tech at me 1-2x a year and I'm good to go, well, as long as i have enough to get a haircut and feed my comfy shoe fetish every so often.

But again, everyone shouldn't be so quick to judge the OP and others for what works in their relationship. Give them mega kudos for having the ability to communicate on the subject.....

Good post. I'm married and I make more than my wife. I contribute to the household expense and pay a higher percentage because I make more. I also leave a caveat that if my wife needs additional funds or simply wants something, new bag, iPad, Hermes scarf (yuk in my opinion), etc... I have no problems with either chipping in so that she too can get something she wants or I just buy it out right for her. In my mind this is fair.

ngenerator
Sep 29, 2010, 08:43 AM
I think I'm going to hang around in an :apple: store tonight and hit on potential girlfriends :)

nixiemaiden
Sep 29, 2010, 08:43 AM

Both parties don't necessarily contribute the same amount of money to the "joint" account. You can do it by a certain percentage so that both parties have about an even amount for themselves.

I am not married but I live with my boyfriend. If I do ever get married and my husband makes more money than me, I would be ok with him having more money left over than me. The only way I would want him to contribute more to the "joint" account is if he made me live above my own means due to his higher income. Like say I can only afford $500 for rent/mortgage a month but he wants a house that is going to cost $1,500 for rent/mortgage. He would know going into it that I can only afford $500 so he would be responsible for the other $1,000.

Right now I am lucky because me and my boyfriend both make around the same income and we just split the "household" bills down the middle. When we go out we usually each pay our own way or take turns paying.

Night Spring
Sep 29, 2010, 08:51 AM
Like say I can only afford $500 for rent/mortgage a month but he wants a house that is going to cost $1,500 for rent/mortgage. He would know going into it that I can only afford $500 so he would be responsible for the other $1,000.

Yikes, that's just not how marriages are supposed to work. What if one of you became unemployed, or ill/injured and can't work? What if you start a family, and decide one of you will stay home as the primary caretaker? If you are going to think about finances like that, you might as well not get married and just live together -- which of course is what you are doing right now, so I suppose you are at least acting consistently with your own philosophy.

TraceyS/FL
Sep 29, 2010, 08:52 AM
I think I'm going to hang around in an :apple: store tonight and hit on potential girlfriends :)

I can HIGHLY recommend a shared interest in tech toys... Or at least an understanding of them.... :D

My Apple stores are full of tourists or guys too young for me. Don't think it will work for me - but i hope it works for you! LOL!!

hexhead
Sep 29, 2010, 09:18 AM
Right now I am lucky because me and my boyfriend both make around the same income and we just split the "household" bills down the middle. When we go out we usually each pay our own way or take turns paying.

So you're really just roommates with benefits.

TraceyS/FL
Sep 29, 2010, 09:56 AM
Yikes, that's just not how marriages are supposed to work. What if one of you became unemployed, or ill/injured and can't work? What if you start a family, and decide one of you will stay home as the primary caretaker? If you are going to think about finances like that, you might as well not get married and just live together -- which of course is what you are doing right now, so I suppose you are at least acting consistently with your own philosophy.
I have to agree with Night Spring, that's not how it is supposed to play out. Those scenarios are very valid and something to ponder before taking the "I do" plunge.

I've seen it done your way, but it was mostly in couples that married later in life and had had their own households for a long time first. It sorta irked, i just never got the "I married my soul mate" feeling, but more of a "we married for a tax break" one! LOL!!

But still, everyone needs to do what works for their relationship. No matter how things sound on the screen, it rarely is how it really is in life you know?

Gloor
Sep 29, 2010, 10:08 AM
Both parties don't necessarily contribute the same amount of money to the "joint" account. You can do it by a certain percentage so that both parties have about an even amount for themselves.

I am not married but I live with my boyfriend. If I do ever get married and my husband makes more money than me, I would be ok with him having more money left over than me. The only way I would want him to contribute more to the "joint" account is if he made me live above my own means due to his higher income. Like say I can only afford $500 for rent/mortgage a month but he wants a house that is going to cost $1,500 for rent/mortgage. He would know going into it that I can only afford $500 so he would be responsible for the other $1,000.

Yes, thats correct.
For me it is the fairness that I want from the relationship. If we both contribute 40% of our wages then its fair in my opinion. (yes, there might be cases when not but that can be sorted too).

As others mention too, it gets tricky when you get kids and I agree that this model will be unusable. (haven't been there yet though)
I think what is then fair that the husband "gives" salary to his wife for the hard work she does with the kids and then he pays for the household. That way, the woman has some money she can spend the way she wants and there is no resentment on either side as both have their own money they can spend in their own way. It gives certain amount of freedom to each other.

As I said, with kids it gets really tricky and there is really no simple or right answer. Just a different approach as no one can really put value on the hard work the woman does when looking after the kids (and trust me, it is hard work)

But yes, as others mention, whatever makes you happy and works for you is fine. I just disagree with the model that OP has but we are all different so good luck. :))

P.s.: I would wait for the next revision unless you don't need the camera or anything that is missing from the current one. :)

nixiemaiden
Sep 29, 2010, 10:13 AM

That sort of thing would have to be thought of before hand as well. When choosing a living arrangement and what you can afford the total household income needs to be looked at...whether that be one sole provider or both parties being able to contribute. My example was just to show that everything doesn't need to be divided exactly evenly. Like if one party insists on having a car that is a $700 a month car payment and the other decides that sort of thing is not that important and would rather have extra money at the end of the month and opts for a car with a $200 payment...should the person with the $200 car payment have to dip into the savings they budgeted for to help pay the $700 a month car payment? I don't think they should have to and I also don't think it would be fair for me to tell someone they can't have something when it is within their means to afford it on their own if they choose.

You also need to have backup savings and plans for if someone becomes unemployed or ill/injured. These would be hard on anyone no matter how you handle your finances. If your mortgage is $1,500 a month and one person gets injured or loses their job, well guess what...your means to survive just changed and you need to adjust accordingly. It doesn't matter how the payment was divided before whatever unexpected event happened.

So you're really just roommates with benefits.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Me and my boyfriend are both very independent people and we have a great relationship and it works well for us. I see other couples fight over money and we are able to both buy things we want without fighting or arguing. And also it isn't like we are totally selfish people. If he needed extra money for something he really wanted, and I had extra money, I would give it to him and he would do the same for me.

And yes...I do realize that once kids are involved things will change. If that ever happens I can reanalyze my situation and decide what is best at that time. I will still probably opt for separate accounts though because I want at least some form of financial independence. I see people staying in bad relationships for the wrong reasons all the time...one of which is feeling financially dependent on another person. I do not ever want to feel like I am stuck in a relationship for that reason.

I have to agree with Night Spring, that's not how it is supposed to play out. Those scenarios are very valid and something to ponder before taking the "I do" plunge.

I've seen it done your way, but it was mostly in couples that married later in life and had had their own households for a long time first. It sorta irked, i just never got the "I married my soul mate" feeling, but more of a "we married for a tax break" one! LOL!!

But still, everyone needs to do what works for their relationship. No matter how things sound on the screen, it rarely is how it really is in life you know?

This is sort of the situation with me and my boyfriend now. We are both in our late 20s and we were both on our own before we moved in together. (Maybe not a long time...I was living by myself for 3 years and he was living with roommates for 8 years before we moved in together)....

TraceyS/FL
Sep 29, 2010, 10:19 AM
Yes, thats correct.
For me it is the fairness that I want from the relationship. If we both contribute 40% of our wages then its fair in my opinion. (yes, there might be cases when not but that can be sorted too).

As others mention too, it gets tricky when you get kids and I agree that this model will be unusable. (haven't been there yet though)
I think what is then fair that the husband "gives" salary to his wife for the hard work she does with the kids and then he pays for the household. That way, the woman has some money she can spend the way she wants and there is no resentment on either side as both have their own money they can spend in their own way. It gives certain amount of freedom to each other.

As I said, with kids it gets really tricky and there is really no simple or right answer. Just a different approach as no one can really put value on the hard work the woman does when looking after the kids (and trust me, it is hard work)

But yes, as others mention, whatever makes you happy and works for you is fine. I just disagree with the model that OP has but we are all different so good luck. :))

P.s.: I would wait for the next revision unless you don't need the camera or anything that is missing from the current one. :)
Just as long as you are then doing equal housework, cooking, and all those other household chores too. :) you know, the ones everyone thinks are normally womans work to do even when she is working outside the home too....

Kids throw a whole other dimension in and you can't predict where that will go. Trust me on this one. Heck, even after a birth trauma you think all is good without complications and they don't start getting diagnosed until the child is 10. Or the lifelong complications from a genetic disorder that didn't get diagnosed until she was 7.

Kids are the monkey wrench in the best laid plans.... And i wouldn't trade mine and their issues for anything.

Anyway, respect and communication. Keep those and all will go better!

TraceyS/FL
Sep 29, 2010, 10:28 AM
This is sort of the situation with me and my boyfriend now. We are both in our late 20s and we were both on our own before we moved in together. (Maybe not a long time...I was living by myself for 3 years and he was living with roommates for 8 years before we moved in together)....

And gee, I see an iPad typo in there (my response), WORKED not irked. Ugh.

Anyway, what is interesting around here is that my "husband" has never lived on his own and supported/ran a house.

He lived at home, with one sister, then another sister, back home and then into our home. He only worked for his spending money and car.

Gee, imagine that, the only two things he thinks he is working for now.... :rolleyes:

I'm too cynical for a relationship right now, but i do know what i want and what questions to ask. Like someone said further up, i can be miserable alone if i want... And I'd much rather be that right now! LOL!!

I keep looking and relationships that work though and seeing what makes them stand the test of time.... Helps me figure out where mine went wrong.

ETA: more ive been pondereing...

on the part of not telling someone they cant hqve the $700 car, you should have a say in it because it can have a huge impact on your overall financial picture and debt ratio, which impacts buying a house and such.

What if the person had run up CC debt and was using their portion to pay it? i had a friend whose DH did this... The credit cards were in his name so she had no clue where he was spending his money (he had a gambling problem for the record). But he lost the right to free reign on his share of the money after she had to fix his mess.

Anyway.... I need lunch!

nixiemaiden
Sep 29, 2010, 11:10 AM
on the part of not telling someone they cant hqve the $700 car, you should have a say in it because it can have a huge impact on your overall financial picture and debt ratio, which impacts buying a house and such.

What if the person had run up CC debt and was using their portion to pay it? i had a friend whose DH did this... The credit cards were in his name so she had no clue where he was spending his money (he had a gambling problem for the record). But he lost the right to free reign on his share of the money after she had to fix his mess.

The reason I gave the example of the 700 car payment is because my boyfriend is a car lover and I don't care about cars. He would rather have a sports car and very little money to play around with after all the expenses that come with it. I on the other hand would prefer a cheap reliable car that gets me from point a to point b and be able to buy a cute pair of shoes I see or whatever.

I mean if there was no way to afford the 700 payment it would be out of the question because obviously there are priorities.

As far as the cc thing...If anyone did that to me I would kill them. How we do it is I pay all of the utilities, half our rent, half the utilities, subtract half utilities from rent, give him the remainder of rent money, then he pays rent. If he somehow violated my trust and didn't pay we wouldn't have a relationship. Financial responsibility is a must.

TraceyS/FL
Sep 29, 2010, 11:28 AM
The reason I gave the example of the 700 car payment is because my boyfriend is a car lover and I don't care about cars. He would rather have a sports car and very little money to play around with after all the expenses that come with it. I on the other hand would prefer a cheap reliable car that gets me from point a to point b and be able to buy a cute pair of shoes I see or whatever.

I mean if there was no way to afford the 700 payment it would be out of the question because obviously there are priorities.
The thing is though is that car loans are allowed to be so much of your income, that infamous debt/income ratio.

So the bank will loan you say up to 25% of your income for a car payment.

But then 6 months later you decide to buy a house.... That same bank will then say, but your car payment is too high, your debt/income on the car can't be more than 10% and won't give you a home loan until you pay it off or get it lower or something.

It's the banking game. So by not having decisions like that be joint on how they have the potential to impact the big picture for the long term, it can really hurt you at times.

Because like it or not, the bank doesn't look at it and say well you are fine with your money, but he needs to fix his. They say, fix YOUR ratio.

[/quote]As far as the cc thing...If anyone did that to me I would kill them. How we do it is I pay all of the utilities, half our rent, half the utilities, subtract half utilities from rent, give him the remainder of rent money, then he pays rent. If he somehow violated my trust and didn't pay we wouldn't have a relationship. Financial responsibility is a must.[/QUOTE]

I would have killed him too. She found out when they tried to refi for some home improvement projects.

I couldn't do the roommate with benefits for very long. I've lived that way long enough in my marriage trying to make it work. I just need more - otherwise, Separate residences. :D

Mitchrapp
Sep 29, 2010, 12:10 PM
I guess I'm old fashion. Regrdless who makes the money, it all goes in the same joint account and is equally shared. My wife doesn't work, but it's still our money. She does more with the kids and that certainly is more work than a 9 to 5 job.

And it's not about "please wifey can I buy an iPad", it's about responsibility. As in "do you think we can do this". Big purchases we're talking about. I'm certainly not asking her if I can watch a football game, because hell or high water I'm watching the game ;).

nixiemaiden
Sep 29, 2010, 12:40 PM
I couldn't do the roommate with benefits for very long. I've lived that way long enough in my marriage trying to make it work. I just need more - otherwise, Separate residences. :D

I don't really consider my relationship roommates with benefits....I was just saying if we maintain somewhat financial independence from each other and that makes us roommates with benefits then I wouldn't have it any other way. To me though, a relationship is based on more than just financial matters and I don't consider me and my boyfriend as roommates with benefits.

As far as the debt/ratio thing that is why I was saying there are priorities. If I were to consider getting a mortgage it would be planned out way beforehand and that would be a mutual decision. Both of us would know that if we both really wanted a house, then we couldn't go out and add a $700 car payment. My point was just that if we could, and he wanted to, I wouldn't stop him but at the same time I shouldn't have to live more frugally than I want to every month to help him with the full payment when a cheaper car would serve the same purpose.