Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spiritandtruth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
On my pc I've been using photoshop elements 5.0LE forever. I've never used a newer version. That version was included in a camera I bought long ago.

I tried to load it on my new imac and it said it doesn't support it even though it was a pc/mac CD. I guess it was for the old systems. I'm not too literate on all this stuff.

Anyhow, I was looking on eBay to buy photoshop to load onto this new imac of mine and I'm clueless as to which to buy. I'm noticing people are saying I can buy this old version and then "upgrade." Is it cheaper to do that?

Which would you guys prefer? I don't need anything great considering I've been using this old 5.0LE forever. I sell on eBay for a living and just need the basic functions really....although if there is an inexpensive way to get a much better version I'm in. I'm looking to spend max....$200 on this.

Any tips would be helpful. I don't do pirated stuff and want to be legit. I like the real stuff and paying what I'm supposed to pay. I like to be legal.

Thanks in advance!

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I guess I would ask- what are you wanting to do with the pictures really? Basic cropping, color fixes, etc can be done with the free iPhoto.

Are you dropping in items in your photos that you don't really own but are "selling":D on Ebay.

However, it sounds like you are too honest to do that, so iPhoto might be enough.

Let us know what you want to do with pics.

If you do need more, photoshop elements sounds ideal.

Tesseract

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
GIMP is also a great free alternative to Photoshop. Nowhere near the amount of functionality or bells and whistles, but still a great and powerful program.

But if you go with Photoshop, straight up buying the recently released Elements 9.0 is probably your best choice.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
On my pc I've been using photoshop elements 5.0LE forever. I've never used a newer version. That version was included in a camera I bought long ago.

I tried to load it on my new imac and it said it doesn't support it even though it was a pc/mac CD. I guess it was for the old systems. I'm not too literate on all this stuff.

Anyhow, I was looking on eBay to buy photoshop to load onto this new imac of mine and I'm clueless as to which to buy. I'm noticing people are saying I can buy this old version and then "upgrade." Is it cheaper to do that?

Which would you guys prefer? I don't need anything great considering I've been using this old 5.0LE forever. I sell on eBay for a living and just need the basic functions really....although if there is an inexpensive way to get a much better version I'm in. I'm looking to spend max....$200 on this.

Any tips would be helpful. I don't do pirated stuff and want to be legit. I like the real stuff and paying what I'm supposed to pay. I like to be legal.

Thanks in advance!

Continue your education and sign up for an online class with a Uni/CC/Trade school/etc... that has an apple discount and get the student discount.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
No way to get a legal copy for $200 or less unless you are a student or teacher, then it is $199 + shipping. I wouldn't trust any seller on EBAY if you want a strictly legitimate copy since new copies are $700 and even upgrades are $200.

Agree with others that Photoshop Elements is usually all you need and is much less expensive. Also there is iPhoto and even Preview does some functions! My experience with the free Gimp is that it is very frustrating to use.

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
You could look for an older second hand virsion. Or just download the trial virsion and use an activation block.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.