PDA

View Full Version : New Apple TV Runs iOS 4.1 and Jailbroken Already!

newagemac
Sep 28, 2010, 05:02 AM
From Apple Insider:

iOS 4.1 version of Apple TV firmware posted, jailbroken

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/28/ios_4_1_version_of_apple_tv_firmware_posted_jailbroken.html

Well that didn't take long. It will be interesting to see what apps the jailbreaking community can come up with.

Now that we know that Apple TV is running iOS 4.1, I bet it is a certainty that an App store will be released. My bet though is this app store will be more like "channels" of content sort of like podcasts.

A MLB, NBA, and NFL app would be awesome for starters. Add some live news apps and you now have a $99 cable cutter device.

RandomNinjaAtk
Sep 28, 2010, 05:19 AM
Fantastic, never really hacked my previous one (I did hack it to try, but I didn't keep it that way), but I'd definitely give it a shot with the new one.

OllyW
Sep 28, 2010, 05:35 AM
I presume you'll have to install it using the USB port?

Get ready for loads of threads asking "where can I get a micro-USB adaptor?". :D

mikeee
Sep 28, 2010, 11:12 AM
exatly what will jailbreaking an apple tv do to it? allows you to download and watch movies such as from netflix for free from the app store???

WiiDSmoker
Sep 28, 2010, 11:40 AM
Good

jaykk
Sep 28, 2010, 11:44 AM
Veetle (limited channels for iOS though) will rock on this thing.

Rooskibar03
Sep 28, 2010, 12:29 PM
If it lets me run Hulu, I'm in. Otherwise, not much point for me personally.

pdpfilms
Sep 28, 2010, 12:40 PM
If it lets me run Hulu, I'm in.

Ditto. Though I hiiiiiiiighly doubt they would let that happen without a Plus subscription. It's clear Hulu intends to start monopolizing on multi-device users, as they have with iPad/iPhone/iTouch, Xbox, Playstation, and Vizio/Sony TVs. I don't think they'd let the little AppleTV slide.