PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray Rip To Mac/Apple TV Help

Mr. Incredible
Sep 28, 2010, 06:13 AM
Hi Guys

This is my first time posting in the forums, and although I saw a thread about blu ray ripping to the OSX, it is just too many pages of information to go through.

So I have a couple of Blu Ray movies that I want to rip to my iMac, but as everyone knows, iMac's are not able to read Blu Ray discs.

I would have to buy an external Blu Ray player, and I came across this website:

http://fastmac.com/blurayext

^Can you tell me which is a good one to get? My cousin told me the one that costs $200 is good.

But besides getting an external Blu Ray player, I'd need to have some software, and I came across this:

http://www.macblurayripperpro.com/releasenotes.html#mbrp104

I also downloaded Handbrake version 0.9.4.

So my question is this:

If I buy that $200 external Blu Ray player, and I connect it to my iMac with a USB cord. I put one of my Blu Ray movies inside the player. Will I be able to run that Mac BlurayRipper Pro software, to be able to rip the dvd?

Also, after ripping the dvd, I would have to use Handbrake to convert the file to be compatible with Apple TV, correct?

Because, my ultimate goal, is to get all of my Blu Ray movies, and Rip them to my iMac, so I can watch these movies on my tv, using Apple Tv.

Can you guys please help me with this?

Thank you.

DoFoT9
Sep 28, 2010, 06:34 AM
hello!

the procedure you have described will work, however i feel that you can get it for MUCH cheaper then what you have said.

1. this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151199) samsung BD reader costs $79.99, it reads only, if you want a burner that will cost a few extra bucks.

2. then, pay from $20->$100 for an external case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007705%20600006253&IsNodeId=1&name=5.25%22).

3. once you have those, download MakeMKV (http://www.makemkv.com/) to rip your BDs to your hdd. it is free :)

from there you will be good to go!

rnelan7
Sep 28, 2010, 08:25 AM
Do not pay $200 for a burner, you only need a reader. You can get one for around $60. You will need to put it in an enclosure. I have this one (http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-530S2-5-25-Inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B0019884K0/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285680019&sr=8-1) and it works great. Once you have those two all you need to do is load up MakeMKV and rip! *Don't forget* do not select subtitles when creating your mkv file. If you do this then Handbrake will not be able to read the file for some reason. That being said the last step you need to take is encode with handbrake. They have an Appletv preset, you can adjust the picture to 720p. You can even take it a step further by downloading MetaX to get all the movie information in iTunes.

Good luck, if you have any questions keep asking.

Cave Man
Sep 28, 2010, 10:32 AM
Don't use HB 0.9.4. Get one of the nightly builds. Support for Blu-ray is far superior with a nightly.

Mr. Incredible
Sep 28, 2010, 06:26 PM
I first want to thank everyone for the feedback, but I do have some more questions/comments.

I'm glad you guys told me that I only need a reader, cause that just saved me $100. I'll get the Samsung Blu Ray reader that DoFoT9 mentioned for $79.99.

I'll get the external case that rnelan7 suggested for $39.99. But in the pictures, it should a bunch of wires to connect the reader to the case? I'm not exactly tech friendly, but I do assume that there will be an instructional manual for this, correct?

Cave Man, I'll go with the Nightly Builds, but doesn't it cost money to use? I downloaded Handbrake last night, and what I noticed is that in the place of the icon on my dock, is a giant question mark, until I click on it, then I get the ugly pineapple margarita icon, and this white disk drive(?) on my desktop. Not sure if I downloaded it right, but I'll delete the Handbrake, and I'll go with the Nightly Builds.

As for the MakeMKV, I looked at the website, and its only for 60 Days. I'd have to buy it. But I'm sure that I can get it off of torrents for free, right?

And, one more question, and I hope that no one thinks wrongly of me after saying this, but....

Don't most Blu Ray dvds already come with a Digital Copy when you buy it? ;) Well, I don't plan on buying my Blu Ray dvds, but lets just say that I want to "borrow" it, and then I rip it to my computer. Will that "person" be able to detect what I did? :D

Oh, and Cave Man, I bookmarked your Blu-Ray to Apple TV, but it just looks a bit too confusing, cause I think you have 2 (maybe 3?) different instructions simultaneously written out. Just wanted to give you my 2 cents on that, no disrespect, just saying.

Hope to get some more feedback from you guys, and again, thanks for all the help!

tommylotto
Sep 28, 2010, 07:39 PM
The digital copies are copy protected -- you need to enter a code to access it, plus, they are copyright protected, so it is not cool to steal. Also the digital copies are SD, not HD. If you own the BluRay encoding them is arguably fair use. That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

MakeMKV will allow you to download another copy and reset your trial period, I believe. However, I bought it to thank them and encourage continued support.

Mr. Incredible
Sep 28, 2010, 09:40 PM
I'm not saying that I'm gonna steal anything, I said that I'm going to borrow them from a friend.

Will I be able to download the MakeMKV from a torrent and get the full version?

tbayrgs
Sep 28, 2010, 10:05 PM
I'm not saying that I'm gonna steal anything, I said that I'm going to borrow them from a friend.

Will I be able to download the MakeMKV from a torrent and get the full version?

And, one more question, and I hope that no one thinks wrongly of me after saying this, but....

Don't most Blu Ray dvds already come with a Digital Copy when you buy it? ;) Well, I don't plan on buying my Blu Ray dvds, but lets just say that I want to "borrow" it, and then I rip it to my computer. Will that "person" be able to detect what I did? :D

You're missing the point--he's not talking about stealing from your friend (although, technically you are). You're stealing the film from the company who distributed it by cracking the encryption (ripping it) and creating a copy for your own use without paying for the film.

Same goes for the software. Developers work hard to put together these programs and looking for a way to circumvent any cost/fees is also basically theft. To put your mind at ease about having to spend any more money than you have to, MakeMKV is free while in beta (see this post (http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053) in the MakeMKV forums).

Mr. Incredible
Sep 28, 2010, 11:12 PM
I do plan on paying for the film though, just not the full price.

aced411
Sep 29, 2010, 07:46 AM
Let me know how that works out. I'm considering converting my blu-rays as well. I already went through the pain of 400 dvd's. 30 or 40 blu-rays can't be too bad I hope.

Irishman
Sep 29, 2010, 08:24 AM
Do not pay $200 for a burner, you only need a reader. You can get one for around $60. You will need to put it in an enclosure. I have this one (http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-530S2-5-25-Inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B0019884K0/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285680019&sr=8-1) and it works great. Once you have those two all you need to do is load up MakeMKV and rip! *Don't forget* do not select subtitles when creating your mkv file. If you do this then Handbrake will not be able to read the file for some reason. That being said the last step you need to take is encode with handbrake. They have an Appletv preset, you can adjust the picture to 720p. You can even take it a step further by downloading MetaX to get all the movie information in iTunes.

Good luck, if you have any questions keep asking.

I have a question on sort of the same subject (ripping my personal Blu-Ray library to a Mac Mini in order to play through Plex):

Am I able to choose the audio soundtrack I want to play back? Particularly, I need the Lossless HD audio encoded on the original disc (whether that be TrueHD or DTS MA). My understanding of MakeMKV is that it doesn't like the HD audio formats and discards them when it sees them.

Does the Blu-Ray Ripper product do the same? (http://www.pavtube.com/blu-ray-ripper-mac/)

Thanks!

tbayrgs
Sep 30, 2010, 10:58 AM
*Don't forget* do not select subtitles when creating your mkv file. If you do this then Handbrake will not be able to read the file for some reason.

Not sure what problem you're having but I can select any of the subtitles and have never had HB have a problem reading the file.

In fact, as I was going to have another go at converting the sup subtitles to VOB subs, I included all of the English subtitles in my last MakeMKV rip (Iron Man 2) but later realized the process laid out for me required Windows (not running it on any of my Macs). I was resigned to finding a .srt file to add the forced subs for non-English speaking parts via Subler after encoding with Handbrake but when I went to view the film on my :apple:TV and via PLEX, the forced subs where already there.

I thought it wasn't possible to burn-in forced subs to blu-ray rips/encodes without a bunch of extra work. Any idea what's changed?

DeusInvictus7
Sep 30, 2010, 12:23 PM
Just a quick question for anyone that might know...does an hour sound about right for a 720p mkv to m4v convert sound about right?

I have all my media attached to my Airport Extreme and doing a handbrake encode for 720p takes quite a while with the Apple TV preset, just wanted to make sure nothing was going wrong. Specs of computer in sig.

tbayrgs
Sep 30, 2010, 02:56 PM
Just a quick question for anyone that might know...does an hour sound about right for a 720p mkv to m4v convert sound about right?

I have all my media attached to my Airport Extreme and doing a handbrake encode for 720p takes quite a while with the Apple TV preset, just wanted to make sure nothing was going wrong. Specs of computer in sig.

I'm jealous--my blu-ray encodes from a .mkv to a 720p .m4v playable on an :apple:TV usually take about 8-10 hours on my C2D Mac Mini. I'd guess your encoding time sounds about right.

dagomike
Sep 30, 2010, 03:28 PM
I have a question on sort of the same subject (ripping my personal Blu-Ray library to a Mac Mini in order to play through Plex):

Am I able to choose the audio soundtrack I want to play back? Particularly, I need the Lossless HD audio encoded on the original disc (whether that be TrueHD or DTS MA). My understanding of MakeMKV is that it doesn't like the HD audio formats and discards them when it sees them.
Thanks!

I thought MakeMKV handled the lossless codecs fine. I haven't looked in a while, but I thought it did.

You'll need a media player that pass through the lossless codecs to your receiver. This is rare.

Microsaft
Sep 30, 2010, 04:20 PM
Makemkv doesn't have any problems with losless audio.

But whats next? How can i stay with the losless audio tracks n get down the file size? Handbrake doesn't accept it. 20-35GB per movie is way to much for my hard drive...

rnelan7
Sep 30, 2010, 07:55 PM
Not sure what problem you're having but I can select any of the subtitles and have never had HB have a problem reading the file.

In fact, as I was going to have another go at converting the sup subtitles to VOB subs, I included all of the English subtitles in my last MakeMKV rip (Iron Man 2) but later realized the process laid out for me required Windows (not running it on any of my Macs). I was resigned to finding a .srt file to add the forced subs for non-English speaking parts via Subler after encoding with Handbrake but when I went to view the film on my :apple:TV and via PLEX, the forced subs where already there.

I thought it wasn't possible to burn-in forced subs to blu-ray rips/encodes without a bunch of extra work. Any idea what's changed?

I had a problem with a couple that had subtitles attached. MakeMKV would display an error stating it was an invalid source. I googeled away and foudn it was the subtitles. Maybe they work on some and not others. I never use subtitles anyway so it doesn't matter for me.

rnelan7
Sep 30, 2010, 07:56 PM

Does the Blu-Ray Ripper product do the same? (http://www.pavtube.com/blu-ray-ripper-mac/)

Thanks!

You can choose lossless in MakeMKV. I have no experience with Blu-Ray ripper so I am unsure.

rnelan7
Sep 30, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'll get the external case that rnelan7 suggested for $39.99. But in the pictures, it should a bunch of wires to connect the reader to the case? I'm not exactly tech friendly, but I do assume that there will be an instructional manual for this, correct?

As for the MakeMKV, I looked at the website, and its only for 60 Days. I'd have to buy it. But I'm sure that I can get it off of torrents for free, right?

Installation of a 5.25" drive is pretty simple and easy. They provide instructions in the manual also, you shouldn't have a problem. As for MakeMKV, I haven't had any problems with the 60 day trial. Typically every time I start the program up it always says starting demo now. Even if it does expire you can always re-download and install.

DoFoT9
Oct 1, 2010, 10:28 PM
Don't use HB 0.9.4. Get one of the nightly builds. Support for Blu-ray is far superior with a nightly.
oh, really? whats wrong with it ?

I'm glad you guys told me that I only need a reader, cause that just saved me $100. I'll get the Samsung Blu Ray reader that DoFoT9 mentioned for $79.99.
good choice ;)

Cave Man, I'll go with the Nightly Builds, but doesn't it cost money to use? I downloaded Handbrake last night, and what I noticed is that in the place of the icon on my dock, is a giant question mark, until I click on it, then I get the ugly pineapple margarita icon, and this white disk drive(?) on my desktop. Not sure if I downloaded it right, but I'll delete the Handbrake, and I'll go with the Nightly Builds.
it sounds like you are running from the DMG - please read this (http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_Applications_in_Mac_OS_X#Disk_images) guide to learn a bit more :0

makemkv has a 60 day "trial". once that expires you simply go to their website and download it again and its usable for another 60 days. this will work so long as the program is still in beta, after that you will have to purchase it.

Mr. Incredible
Oct 2, 2010, 03:49 AM
hello!

the procedure you have described will work, however i feel that you can get it for MUCH cheaper then what you have said.

1. this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151199) samsung BD reader costs $79.99, it reads only, if you want a burner that will cost a few extra bucks.

2. then, pay from $20->$100 for an external case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007705%20600006253&IsNodeId=1&name=5.25%22).

3. once you have those, download MakeMKV (http://www.makemkv.com/) to rip your BDs to your hdd. it is free :)

from there you will be good to go!So, I'm about to buy the Samsung BD reader, I haven't ordered it yet, but I'm going to right now, its actually on sale for $69.99, instead of $79.99, so thats good! But you know what, I just found this right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325 <Can you tell me if thats any good or not? It got a lot of great reviews, and its $20 cheaper than the Samsung.

As for the external case, do I have to have one now, or can I wait on it? I noticed that there are a lot of cases of all sizes, and I can't find the specs for the size of the Samsung reader. I wouldn't want to get the wrong case and lose the money, you know?

And now, I'm about follow your instructions to properly download MakeMKV and Handbrake.

Thanks for the help thus far! Once I get all the supplies ready, I'll come back for more help before I begin to rip my first blu ray movie.

rnelan7
Oct 2, 2010, 11:17 AM
So, I'm about to buy the Samsung BD reader, I haven't ordered it yet, but I'm going to right now, its actually on sale for $69.99, instead of $79.99, so thats good! But you know what, I just found this right here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325 <Can you tell me if thats any good or not? It got a lot of great reviews, and its $20 cheaper than the Samsung.

As for the external case, do I have to have one now, or can I wait on it? I noticed that there are a lot of cases of all sizes, and I can't find the specs for the size of the Samsung reader. I wouldn't want to get the wrong case and lose the money, you know?

And now, I'm about follow your instructions to properly download MakeMKV and Handbrake.

Thanks for the help thus far! Once I get all the supplies ready, I'll come back for more help before I begin to rip my first blu ray movie.

That drive will be fine. The enclosure you will need is a 5.25", I highly recommend the one I have. If you decide otherwise just make sure it is 5.25" and supports SATA, you do not want an IDE drive bay.

Mr. Incredible
Oct 2, 2010, 04:08 PM
That drive will be fine. The enclosure you will need is a 5.25", I highly recommend the one I have. If you decide otherwise just make sure it is 5.25" and supports SATA, you do not want an IDE drive bay.

So the link that I provided, that drive that costs $49.99 is fine, right? Perfect, DoFoT9 do you agree? :)

So, rnelan7, a 5.25'' enclosure will fit that $49.99 drive, right? Do you have any links to an enclosure that you'd recommend to go with that drive?

Mr. Incredible
Oct 2, 2010, 04:10 PM
****! That drive for $49.99 works with Windows Vista, nothing about Mac. Ugh, lemme try to find another one...

rnelan7
Oct 2, 2010, 04:12 PM
So, rnelan7, a 5.25'' enclosure will fit that $49.99 drive, right? Do you have any links to an enclosure that you'd recommend to go with that drive?

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-530S2-5-25-Inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B0019884K0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286053885&sr=8-1

Mr. Incredible
Oct 2, 2010, 04:12 PM
****! That drive for $49.99 works with Windows Vista, nothing about Mac. Ugh, lemme try to find another one...

You know what, **** it, I'm just gonna get the Samsung that DoFoT9 recommended. Now, if I can just find a case for it.

Mr. Incredible
Oct 2, 2010, 05:00 PM

Can you provide a link to download Nightly Builds, I'm having a hard time finding it. Also, is using it easier than HB or what?

Pamani
Oct 2, 2010, 05:35 PM
i just ordered the Samsung drive DoFoT9 suggested. got it for 64.99 plus tax on newegg. cant wait to get my bluray discs ripped to my HD.

Mr. Incredible
Oct 2, 2010, 05:45 PM
i just ordered the Samsung drive DoFoT9 suggested. got it for 64.99 plus tax on newegg. cant wait to get my bluray discs ripped to my HD.

You got yours for $64.99? Wow, how did you do that? I just ordered mine from Newegg also, the one that DoFoT9 suggested for $69.99, with tax is $76.81.

I also got the Vantec 5.25' SATA External Enclosure that rnelan7 suggested for $44.99, plus tax is $49.38

So, I spent a total of $126.19 for this. I should get it by next week. :)

Cave Man
Oct 2, 2010, 06:57 PM
Can you provide a link to download Nightly Builds, I'm having a hard time finding it. Also, is using it easier than HB or what?

https://build.handbrake.fr/

DoFoT9
Oct 2, 2010, 08:09 PM
So the link that I provided, that drive that costs $49.99 is fine, right? Perfect, DoFoT9 do you agree? :)

For the record, it would have been fine. I reslly like lite-on, but I have a samsung BD ROM and it works wonderfully well :)

Very nicely. It will serve you well!!

jwiemer
Oct 3, 2010, 08:44 AM
For the record, it would have been fine. I reslly like lite-on, but I have a samsung BD ROM and it works wonderfully well :)

So DoFoT9, just to clarify: the $49.99 drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3160356&SID=) will work on a mac – not running Windows – presumably with any 5.25" enclosure. Otherwise, the $79.99 Samsung will work on a mac too. Is that right?

Thanks for the links guys!

DoFoT9
Oct 3, 2010, 04:18 PM
So DoFoT9, just to clarify: the http://www.jdoqocy.com/image-3160356-10521304$49.99 drive (http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3160356-10521304?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newegg.com%2FProduct%2FProduct.aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16827106325%26nm_mc%3 DAFC-C8Junction%26cm_mmc%3DAFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na%26AID%3D10521304%26PID%3D3160356%26SID%3D) will work on a mac – not running Windows – presumably with any 5.25" enclosure. Otherwise, the $79.99 Samsung will work on a mac too. Is that right?

a drive is just a drive - it will work on any computer, including a Mac. of course, there are exceptions to this rule (as with any topic), however i am certain you will not have any troubles with that $49.99 drive :)

Mr. Incredible
Oct 3, 2010, 04:19 PM
So DoFoT9, just to clarify: the $49.99 drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3160356&SID=) will work on a mac – not running Windows – presumably with any 5.25" enclosure. Otherwise, the $79.99 Samsung will work on a mac too. Is that right?

The $79.99 drive is currently on sale for $69.99. I ordered mine yesterday. I wanted that $49.99 one, but it said its compatible with Windows, so I wasn't sure if it would've worked with Mac.

chrono1081
Oct 3, 2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Guys

This is my first time posting in the forums, and although I saw a thread about blu ray ripping to the OSX, it is just too many pages of information to go through.

So I have a couple of Blu Ray movies that I want to rip to my iMac, but as everyone knows, iMac's are not able to read Blu Ray discs.

I would have to buy an external Blu Ray player, and I came across this website:

http://fastmac.com/blurayext

^Can you tell me which is a good one to get? My cousin told me the one that costs $200 is good.

But besides getting an external Blu Ray player, I'd need to have some software, and I came across this:

http://www.macblurayripperpro.com/releasenotes.html#mbrp104

I also downloaded Handbrake version 0.9.4.

So my question is this:

If I buy that $200 external Blu Ray player, and I connect it to my iMac with a USB cord. I put one of my Blu Ray movies inside the player. Will I be able to run that Mac BlurayRipper Pro software, to be able to rip the dvd?

Also, after ripping the dvd, I would have to use Handbrake to convert the file to be compatible with Apple TV, correct?

Because, my ultimate goal, is to get all of my Blu Ray movies, and Rip them to my iMac, so I can watch these movies on my tv, using Apple Tv.

Can you guys please help me with this?

Thank you.

Blue Ray Ripper Pro wouldn't rip Avatar when I tried it. Make MKV won't rip subtitles (at least I haven't found a way.)

I came across Aunsoft Blue-Ray Ripper for Mac ($50) and it works great.

chrono1081
Oct 3, 2010, 04:25 PM
a drive is just a drive - it will work on any computer, including a Mac. of course, there are exceptions to this rule (as with any topic), however i am certain you will not have any troubles with that $49.99 drive :)

+1 (for the drive will work on any computer). My Samsung Blu Ray drive said "Windows Only" yet its running perfectly fine in my Mac Pro :D

Sky Blue
Oct 3, 2010, 05:10 PM

It is Handbrake. It's the nightly build of handbrake.

omni
Oct 3, 2010, 05:49 PM
I use makekmv with an external USB blu Ray drive.

Makemkv doesn't do subtitles but ive been able to find .srt files for everything I've needed so far (english and Chinese). I add in the subtitle files using subler.

For avatar - I found a version that was just the navi language so i just turn that on when I watch the movie. I couldn't tag it as navi though LOL so i just tagged it as French..

Mr. Incredible
Oct 3, 2010, 06:46 PM
Is there a way to have Subtitles when using MakeMKV?

I like Avatar and Pan's Labyrinth, and those 2 films have subtitles. I think I saw a thread or a post about Subtitles, but I'm not sure.

Sky Blue
Oct 4, 2010, 09:03 AM
I think I saw a thread or a post about Subtitles, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, it was the post right above this one.

wake4dubleup
Oct 4, 2010, 05:30 PM
Hey Guys,

I would appreciate your help. I have gotten most of my answers here but have a few still remaining.

My ultimate goal is to rip my blurays to mp4 to play on my new apple tv, but I want to keep the quality at 1080p mp4 for future reference. (I have heard the new apple tv can stream 1080p via future jailbreak... Engadget)

These are the missing questions i have, if I could get some answers that would be appreciated??

1. What would be the easiest process to do this? from what I understand most people use makemkv to rip, and then convert to .mp4. What is the best software to use to convert MKV to .mp4 while maintaining the 1080P quality.

2. How long on average does this process take??

3. what is the average file size when its completed??

for reference: I plan on buying the samsung BD reader w/ encasing highlighted above.

I would appreciate the help!! I have done research but get conflicting results.

Apple Expert
Oct 4, 2010, 06:00 PM
Hey Guys,

I would appreciate your help. I have gotten most of my answers here but have a few still remaining.

My ultimate goal is to rip my blurays to mp4 to play on my new apple tv, but I want to keep the quality at 1080p mp4 for future reference. (I have heard the new apple tv can stream 1080p via future jailbreak... Engadget)

These are the missing questions i have, if I could get some answers that would be appreciated??

1. What would be the easiest process to do this? from what I understand most people use makemkv to rip, and then convert to .mp4. What is the best software to use to convert MKV to .mp4 while maintaining the 1080P quality.

for reference: I plan on buying the samsung BD reader w/ encasing highlighted above.

I am in the same situation as you. Hopefully we can get some answers soon. :D

tbayrgs
Oct 4, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hey Guys,

1. Handbrake

2. Depends on your computer so varies widely. For example, I did an 1080p encode of Avatar using Handbrake at :apple:TV preset (resolution bumped up to 1080p) on my Mac Mini 2.0 gHz C2D and I believe it took 18-20 hrs ( sorry, can't remember exactly as it's been a while). For comparison my 720p encodes take about 8-10 hrs.

3. Again, can vary depending on length of movie and settings used in HB. My Avatar encode referenced above is 9.5 GB. Again, for comparison, my 720p encodes generally range from 2-5 GB.

wake4dubleup
Oct 4, 2010, 06:34 PM
Ok great. Is that the best option to roll with in terms of speed, quality that you've seen??I know there is software out there at a price, i just don't know if there any advantages to purchasing one.

Green™
Oct 4, 2010, 07:52 PM
The OP is a thief, he has admitted it. Why is anybody helping him??? He is guilty, hang him from the highest tree, I got the rope right here. :mad::mad::mad:

Torrents? Stealing BluRays? What a scumbag. I thought MacRumors had more class, I guess the mods don't care that this site is being used to help break the law. And to the regs that helped him, shame on you. :(:(:(

DoFoT9
Oct 4, 2010, 08:58 PM
The OP is a thief, he has admitted it. Why is anybody helping him??? He is guilty, hang him from the highest tree, I got the rope right here. :mad::mad::mad:

Torrents? Stealing BluRays? What a scumbag. I thought MacRumors had more class, I guess the mods don't care that this site is being used to help break the law. And to the regs that helped him, shame on you. :(:(:(
i can see you are still living in the 17th century description of "pirate". ;)

let's not start anything here.

Green™
Oct 4, 2010, 09:15 PM
i can see you are still living in the 17th century description of "pirate". ;)

let's not start anything here.

I suggest you read post #5 again where the OP states that he will pirate the software and illegally rip the files from discs he either rented or from friends. He even had the gull to post that retarded Grin emoticon as if to say "Yeah, I clearly don't give a **** and I know you fools will help me". I guess this whole forum is run by thieves, I must be the only person who actually backs up files without a sinister plot in mind. Good day. :(:apple:

wake4dubleup
Oct 4, 2010, 09:49 PM
Hey Guys,

ok.... Have no clue what this kid is talking about. If anyone has any incite on what works for them that would be great!

Pamani
Oct 5, 2010, 12:36 AM
You got yours for $64.99? Wow, how did you do that? I just ordered mine from Newegg also, the one that DoFoT9 suggested for $69.99, with tax is $76.81.

I also got the Vantec 5.25' SATA External Enclosure that rnelan7 suggested for $44.99, plus tax is $49.38

So, I spent a total of $126.19 for this. I should get it by next week. :)

there was a code for 5 bucks off. it expired on he 2nd

Mr. Incredible
Oct 5, 2010, 12:56 AM
I suggest you read post #5 again where the OP states that he will pirate the software and illegally rip the files from discs he either rented or from friends. He even had the gull to post that retarded Grin emoticon as if to say "Yeah, I clearly don't give a **** and I know you fools will help me". I guess this whole forum is run by thieves, I must be the only person who actually backs up files without a sinister plot in mind. Good day. :(:apple:

Hey Mr. Green.

Well, I reread post #5, and I'm not sure what you meant, that I said I will pirate the software and illegally rip the files.

I downloaded MakeMKV and Handbrake, from the same websites that everyone else does, so does this make me a pirate? I don't think so, cause I'm doing what you guys did.

I plan on borrowing Blu Ray movies from friends so I can rip them to my computer, how is that wrong? Don't people burn cds for friends? I have countless times, and others have burned me cds too, and I'm pretty damn sure that you've burned other people cds, or have gotten burned cds as well. No ones calling you a thief. You didn't purchase the music, but a friend lend you a copy, so whats the difference with what I'm doing, by borrowing Blu-Ray movies from friends?

I might rent Blu-Ray movies, but I'm gonna have my cousin rent them for me, since I don't have an account with dvd rental stores. And whats so bad about that? I'm still paying for it. Don't movies depreciate in value? Whats new that is worth $30, ends up being $10 in a year or two later, and even less as the years go by. I'm giving the amount that I think the film is worth. Plus, most of those movies, I've seen in theaters, and I'm already being ripped off by the cinemas, for having to pay over $12 for a movie ticket, and even more for popcorn and a drink.

The thing with me, is that I have barked away from being a naive consumer, and just over paying for everything. Instead, I'm taking a smarter approach to this.

And like I said in the previous posts, I am paying for these films, even when I borrow them from friends, I will give them money. I'm just not paying the full rip off price that everyone else does.

Honestly, I'm probably not the only one that is doing this, but I am the only one that admitted to it, so at least I'm being honest.

Mr. Incredible
Oct 5, 2010, 01:08 AM
there was a code for 5 bucks off. it expired on he 2nd

Ok, that makes sense. Not so bad though, we both got some pretty damn good deals! :D

Irishman
Oct 5, 2010, 10:55 AM
I thought MakeMKV handled the lossless codecs fine. I haven't looked in a while, but I thought it did.

You'll need a media player that pass through the lossless codecs to your receiver. This is rare.

Does Plex pass-through the lossless audio?

BlackMangoTree
Oct 5, 2010, 11:00 AM
Plex or XBMC will do it.

Irishman
Oct 5, 2010, 11:16 AM
Plex or XBMC will do it.

Just to be clear, you're saying that Plex and XBMC will both pass-through lossless audio to an AVR?

Cave Man
Oct 5, 2010, 12:22 PM
Does Plex pass-through the lossless audio?

Plex or XBMC will do it.

No, no Mac software has the ability to passthrough HD (True-HD, DTS-MA) audio. Only AC3 DD or DTS 5.1 can be passed through the optical (or coaxial if you have a hackintosh) port.

Irishman
Oct 5, 2010, 12:24 PM
No, no Mac software has the ability to passthrough HD (True-HD, DTS-MA) audio. Only AC3 DD or DTS 5.1 can be passed through the optical (or coaxial if you have a hackintosh) port.

Well, what developers do we need to light a fire under to get this done? Plex? Apple? Someone else?

Cave Man
Oct 5, 2010, 12:29 PM
Well, what developers do we need to light a fire under to get this done? Plex? Apple? Someone else?

I'd bet the ffmpeg crew is who'd need to do it. That's the playback engine for Plex, XBMC and a host of other apps. I really doubt Apple will do it; you won't see HD audio in any of their downloads any time soon.

BlackMangoTree
Oct 5, 2010, 12:30 PM
According to this page xbmc can http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_Features_and_Supported_Formats/Codecs

Edit, ok my wrong sorry Windows and Linux yes on a Mac no.

Cave Man
Oct 5, 2010, 12:44 PM
According to this page xbmc can http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_Features_and_Supported_Formats/Codecs

Edit, ok my wrong sorry Windows and Linux yes on a Mac no.

I don't see True-HD or DTS-MA (or DTS-HD) on that page. Where are you seeing HD audio referenced for Win or Linux?

BlackMangoTree
Oct 5, 2010, 12:52 PM
After a quick look into this looks like for now Only the HD5xxx series cards, the Intel core i3/i5 with integrated HD graphics and the Nvidia GTX460 support bitstreaming HD audio

Mr. Incredible
Oct 5, 2010, 03:24 PM
So, I just got my stuff, super excited. I'm gonna set it all up tonight.

Mr. Incredible
Oct 5, 2010, 08:01 PM
I have a problem. The enclosure has an Audio wire, but the Samsung Blu-Ray drive doesn't have a port for that wire. Do I just leave it alone, or what?:confused:

DoFoT9
Oct 6, 2010, 04:15 PM
I have a problem. The enclosure has an Audio wire, but the Samsung Blu-Ray drive doesn't have a port for that wire. Do I just leave it alone, or what?:confused:
no need to worry about it, as you have nowhere to plug it into ;) its just for the drive to have audio - but it is provided through the SATA data cable anyway.

Mr. Incredible
Oct 7, 2010, 07:27 PM
Ok, well, forget about the audio port. The Blu Ray Reader came with a USB cord, and a SATA cord, I just need the USB cord to make it all work, right? I didn't even bother using the SATA cord, cause I can't find a socket for it.

When I tried putting in my Dark Knight blu Ray inside my iMac, the CD wouldn't even show itself on the Desktop, but when I used the Blu-Ray Reader, it showed a CD icon on my desktop with the abbreviations BD (Instead of SD), or was it BR? Not sure, but it was with a B.

So, I'm good to go, right? I just need to rip it with MakeMKV, and then use Handbrake with the 720p setting, Apple TV setting, and I'm good, right?

Green™
Oct 9, 2010, 12:41 AM
Ok, well, forget about the audio port. The Blu Ray Reader came with a USB cord, and a SATA cord, I just need the USB cord to make it all work, right? I didn't even bother using the SATA cord, cause I can't find a socket for it.

When I tried putting in my Dark Knight blu Ray inside my iMac, the CD wouldn't even show itself on the Desktop, but when I used the Blu-Ray Reader, it showed a CD icon on my desktop with the abbreviations BD (Instead of SD), or was it BR? Not sure, but it was with a B.

So, I'm good to go, right? I just need to rip it with MakeMKV, and then use Handbrake with the 720p setting, Apple TV setting, and I'm good, right?

Did it work?

Mr. Incredible
Oct 9, 2010, 03:59 AM
Did it work?

I haven't done it yet. I have The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray, but it has a Digital Copy, so I just used the code to get it from iTunes. My friend is going to let me borrow a few Blu-Rays (Transformers 1&2, Star Trek, & Up). Once I get those, I'll see if it works.

My cousin is advising me to first try it out on my The Dark Knight blu-ray, even though I got the digital copy, just to see if I'm able to do it, and if it works. I might try it out tomorrow.

canyonblue737
Oct 9, 2010, 06:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The NewEgg Samsung drive mentioned for $79.99 has been replaced with a newer faster drive from Samsung the SH-B123L which Amazon has for $77!

villamoura
Oct 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hey Mr. Green.

Well, I reread post #5, and I'm not sure what you meant, that I said I will pirate the software and illegally rip the files.

I downloaded MakeMKV and Handbrake, from the same websites that everyone else does, so does this make me a pirate? I don't think so, cause I'm doing what you guys did.

I plan on borrowing Blu Ray movies from friends so I can rip them to my computer, how is that wrong? Don't people burn cds for friends? I have countless times, and others have burned me cds too, and I'm pretty damn sure that you've burned other people cds, or have gotten burned cds as well. No ones calling you a thief. You didn't purchase the music, but a friend lend you a copy, so whats the difference with what I'm doing, by borrowing Blu-Ray movies from friends?

I might rent Blu-Ray movies, but I'm gonna have my cousin rent them for me, since I don't have an account with dvd rental stores. And whats so bad about that? I'm still paying for it. Don't movies depreciate in value? Whats new that is worth $30, ends up being $10 in a year or two later, and even less as the years go by. I'm giving the amount that I think the film is worth. Plus, most of those movies, I've seen in theaters, and I'm already being ripped off by the cinemas, for having to pay over $12 for a movie ticket, and even more for popcorn and a drink.

The thing with me, is that I have barked away from being a naive consumer, and just over paying for everything. Instead, I'm taking a smarter approach to this.

And like I said in the previous posts, I am paying for these films, even when I borrow them from friends, I will give them money. I'm just not paying the full rip off price that everyone else does.

Honestly, I'm probably not the only one that is doing this, but I am the only one that admitted to it, so at least I'm being honest.

Incredible- I'm going to go piece by piece and tell you what's wrong with your explanation. I'm not trying to seem "holier than thou" I'm simply pointing out your flagrant misunderstandings of the law:

1st Statement

-No, nothing illegal about downloading free ripping programs, torrenting a software available for sale however, is illegal. You are stealing someone else's intellectual property. Someone wrote code with the intention of making a profit, and you took it illegally, giving that developer nothing, which is stealing at it's very definition.

2nd Statement

-Borrowing Blu Rays from friends and ripping them to your computer is wrong because, like above, someone created material with the intent of earning a profit, you now have the ability to enjoy that material while not paying for it. Arguing that you and your friends have done the same thing with CDs "countless times" is as foolhearty as your initial argument, because it justifies nothing. That's like justifying stealing cars now because you've been stealing bikes your whole life. Just because a large amount of the population does something doesn't make it legal, if you need proof research Germany in the early 1940's...I agree with you though, that doing this with Blu Rays is the same thing as ripping CD's, but they are BOTH illegal.

3rd Statement

-It makes no difference to me whether you or your cousin rent dvds for your ripping pleasure, the problem is that you are RENTING material, that you in turn are going to rip and then illegally OWN property. There's a reason there's a difference between the cost to rent something and the cost to buy something, because one is meant to be temporary. Paying a rental fee does not justify ripping, because the studio is not getting what is the "fair market value" for your ownership. Yes, the prices of buying movies does decline over time, and if that's your justification, wait and buy the movie when the price drops...but you don't want to, because you want it when it's new...that's why the price is higher, because demand is higher. That is simple economics: demand drives price. Your value of worth has nothing to do with what is "right" as far as price is concerned unless you can get the seller (which by the way, all this time is still the movie studios/distribution companies) to agree to your price, which is simple contract law. And similarly, your argument about "already getting ripped off by the cinemas" is no more valid than anything else you've said thus far. Whether or not you agree with the price, and have seen the move in the theaters has no bearing on the purchase price of a movie. If it did, when you walked out of a theater, there'd be a box full of dvds of the movie you just watched for all viewers to grab on their way out...but there's not because DVD is a revenue stream for these companies. Lastly, the prices are set by the individual movie theater, so if you have a complaint about the price, complain to them...and the popcorn and soda has nothing to do with your right to own the movie either and is your most unrelated argument yet.

4th Statement

-You are not a naive consumer, correct, instead you have not taken a smarter approach, but an illegal one. There is no arguing there, it is ILLEGAL to rip movies to your hard drive that you do not own. As another example, ripping a movie, even if you pay to rent it, is like renting a car, and then never bringing it back...Dollar amount is different but the spirit is the same.

5th Statement

-You are paying your friends a nominal fee to rent material that is not actually theirs. It doesn't matter if you pay your friends anything or not. In fact, if you're paying them, legally, they should be reporting that income on their tax returns which I also doubt is happening. From your payments to your friends for your right to borrow and rip the movie, the creators/distributors of those movies get nothing for that, but now 2 different users have their product. Now this would not be an argument if you just straight bought the DVD from your friends, as just one copy would have changed ownership from them to you. This would still be illegal though, if your friends maintained ownership of a ripped copy of the movie after selling you the hard copy, for all the reasons listed above.

6th Statement

-No, you are nowhere near the only person doing this, and good for you for admitting doing it...but it's still illegal. If you stole someone's car and then announced it on the internet, wouldn't it still be wrong? You are still benefiting from someone else's work without paying THEM for it.

Again, I'm not saying that what your doing is the worst crime in the world, but I am saying that ripping movies you don't own is illegal. You are stealing property from someone who's entire purpose of creating it was to sell and make money off of. Theoretically, if everyone did what you did, eventually 1 of 2 things would happen:
1) The royalties a rental company would have to pay for the ability to rent movies would rise substantially, to the point that the cost to rent would equal the current cost to buy due to the lack of sales revenue
2) The movie industry would become unprofitable and they'd simply stop making movies.

I'm simply asking you to understand that what you're doing is indeed illegal and that you stop this utterly ignorant defiance that you're not doing anything wrong.

Mr. Incredible
Oct 15, 2010, 11:20 AM
Incredible- I'm going to go piece by piece and tell you what's wrong with your explanation. I'm not trying to seem "holier than thou" I'm simply pointing out your flagrant misunderstandings of the law:

1st Statement

-No, nothing illegal about downloading free ripping programs, torrenting a software available for sale however, is illegal. You are stealing someone else's intellectual property. Someone wrote code with the intention of making a profit, and you took it illegally, giving that developer nothing, which is stealing at it's very definition.

2nd Statement

-Borrowing Blu Rays from friends and ripping them to your computer is wrong because, like above, someone created material with the intent of earning a profit, you now have the ability to enjoy that material while not paying for it. Arguing that you and your friends have done the same thing with CDs "countless times" is as foolhearty as your initial argument, because it justifies nothing. That's like justifying stealing cars now because you've been stealing bikes your whole life. Just because a large amount of the population does something doesn't make it legal, if you need proof research Germany in the early 1940's...I agree with you though, that doing this with Blu Rays is the same thing as ripping CD's, but they are BOTH illegal.

3rd Statement

-It makes no difference to me whether you or your cousin rent dvds for your ripping pleasure, the problem is that you are RENTING material, that you in turn are going to rip and then illegally OWN property. There's a reason there's a difference between the cost to rent something and the cost to buy something, because one is meant to be temporary. Paying a rental fee does not justify ripping, because the studio is not getting what is the "fair market value" for your ownership. Yes, the prices of buying movies does decline over time, and if that's your justification, wait and buy the movie when the price drops...but you don't want to, because you want it when it's new...that's why the price is higher, because demand is higher. That is simple economics: demand drives price. Your value of worth has nothing to do with what is "right" as far as price is concerned unless you can get the seller (which by the way, all this time is still the movie studios/distribution companies) to agree to your price, which is simple contract law. And similarly, your argument about "already getting ripped off by the cinemas" is no more valid than anything else you've said thus far. Whether or not you agree with the price, and have seen the move in the theaters has no bearing on the purchase price of a movie. If it did, when you walked out of a theater, there'd be a box full of dvds of the movie you just watched for all viewers to grab on their way out...but there's not because DVD is a revenue stream for these companies. Lastly, the prices are set by the individual movie theater, so if you have a complaint about the price, complain to them...and the popcorn and soda has nothing to do with your right to own the movie either and is your most unrelated argument yet.

4th Statement

-You are not a naive consumer, correct, instead you have not taken a smarter approach, but an illegal one. There is no arguing there, it is ILLEGAL to rip movies to your hard drive that you do not own. As another example, ripping a movie, even if you pay to rent it, is like renting a car, and then never bringing it back...Dollar amount is different but the spirit is the same.

5th Statement

-You are paying your friends a nominal fee to rent material that is not actually theirs. It doesn't matter if you pay your friends anything or not. In fact, if you're paying them, legally, they should be reporting that income on their tax returns which I also doubt is happening. From your payments to your friends for your right to borrow and rip the movie, the creators/distributors of those movies get nothing for that, but now 2 different users have their product. Now this would not be an argument if you just straight bought the DVD from your friends, as just one copy would have changed ownership from them to you. This would still be illegal though, if your friends maintained ownership of a ripped copy of the movie after selling you the hard copy, for all the reasons listed above.

6th Statement

-No, you are nowhere near the only person doing this, and good for you for admitting doing it...but it's still illegal. If you stole someone's car and then announced it on the internet, wouldn't it still be wrong? You are still benefiting from someone else's work without paying THEM for it.

Again, I'm not saying that what your doing is the worst crime in the world, but I am saying that ripping movies you don't own is illegal. You are stealing property from someone who's entire purpose of creating it was to sell and make money off of. Theoretically, if everyone did what you did, eventually 1 of 2 things would happen:
1) The royalties a rental company would have to pay for the ability to rent movies would rise substantially, to the point that the cost to rent would equal the current cost to buy due to the lack of sales revenue
2) The movie industry would become unprofitable and they'd simply stop making movies.

I'm simply asking you to understand that what you're doing is indeed illegal and that you stop this utterly ignorant defiance that you're not doing anything wrong.

Fine, I guess what I'm doing is illegal, but that doesn't mean that I'm gonna stop.

I kind of regret saying what I said, although I'm sure that many people here (maybe even you), have done something similar to what I'm doing at some point in their life, the only difference is that I actually came clean with what I'm doing. Eh.

villamoura
Oct 15, 2010, 05:00 PM
Fine, I guess what I'm doing is illegal, but that doesn't mean that I'm gonna stop.

I kind of regret saying what I said, although I'm sure that many people here (maybe even you), have done something similar to what I'm doing at some point in their life, the only difference is that I actually came clean with what I'm doing. Eh.

Hey, thanks. That was the entire point I was trying to make. I'm not preaching at you to stop or anything, just letting you know the facts. Also it should be noted that the companies are trying to put a stop to illegally acquiring their content, such as the company that produced "The Hurt Locker" sued 5,000 of people who torrented the movie...don't know how they'd ever come after someone doing what you're doing (again there are millions of people doing what you are), but just know that they're trying to find a way. Anyway, thanks for being respectful in your response, as when I saw you responded I was expecting something rude, so it was a breath of fresh air see your comment.

DoFoT9
Oct 15, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hey, thanks. That was the entire point I was trying to make. I'm not preaching at you to stop or anything, just letting you know the facts. Also it should be noted that the companies are trying to put a stop to illegally acquiring their content, such as the company that produced "The Hurt Locker" sued 5,000 of people who torrented the movie...don't know how they'd ever come after someone doing what you're doing (again there are millions of people doing what you are), but just know that they're trying to find a way. Anyway, thanks for being respectful in your response, as when I saw you responded I was expecting something rude, so it was a breath of fresh air see your comment.

i also believe some of the HD Prince of Persia movies were being watched by the ISPs (and Hollywood) - i know a couple of friends that got hitup from them.

having listened to your opinion (which are facts, but an opinion nonetheless), i noticed you didnt state that it is piracy. i personally believe that downloading of movies, etc is not piracy. do you believe with my view?

also - i will point out that in Australia, if you cannot find the digital product that you are looking for in stores, from a dealer, etc (and have looked hard enough), then by law it is legal to look on the internet for it.

villamoura
Oct 20, 2010, 04:51 PM
i also believe some of the HD Prince of Persia movies were being watched by the ISPs (and Hollywood) - i know a couple of friends that got hitup from them.

having listened to your opinion (which are facts, but an opinion nonetheless), i noticed you didnt state that it is piracy. i personally believe that downloading of movies, etc is not piracy. do you believe with my view?

also - i will point out that in Australia, if you cannot find the digital product that you are looking for in stores, from a dealer, etc (and have looked hard enough), then by law it is legal to look on the internet for it.

It was only my opinion as much as interpretation of the law is open to opinion...which of course is. I was just trying to get Mr Incredible to understand what he was doing, not necessarily get him to stop...similar to speeding on a freeway...it's a law that is commonly broken, but still a law. I did not specifically comment on it being "piracy" because I am not sure if it is or not. To respond to your post (which sorry it was so delayed, I just hadn't been to this forum) I looked up the definition so I could form my opinion...here is the definition of digital piracy: "Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized or prohibited use of works covered by copyright law, in a way that violates one of the copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works." Based solely on that definition, my opinion would be that no, downloading copyrighted content from the web is not necessarily piracy...it is however still pirated work and "unauthorized use" of that material. I'd guess that this definition is probably why when the big Napster lawsuits were happening, they went after people who were SHARING large libraries, rather than people who had downloaded large libraries, because those sharing were the people guilty of "piracy".

That said though, like the above mentioned "Hurt Locker" cases, and Prince of Persia, the studios are trying to crack down on users of the illegal content, not just the "pirates".

And to answer your last comment, I didn't know of that law in Australia, but I can understand it. If you made a good faith effort to BUY content, and just couldn't due to unavailability, then theoretically it makes downloading the content a "victimless crime" and potentially not a crime at all, because you didn't acquire a product someone was trying to sell for nothing.

Mr. Incredible
Dec 25, 2010, 06:35 AM
Well, I haven't used it for months, but when I tried, it said that my version was outdated (v. 1.6.0), and that I had to upgrade to version 1.6.3.

After upgrading to version to 1.6.3, I put MY INCEPTION Blu Ray dvd inside. I clicked the backup dvd button (I didn't click the decryption button though, was I supposed to?)

And it ripped my bluray, and i saved it in a file, and its over 40GB in size.

The only problem is, is that I see 3 folders:

AACS
BDMV
CERTIFICATE

Inside the BDMV folder is a STREAM folder, and inside that, there are many files, ranging from a few KB to a few GB. There are 9 files with over 1GB in size, and at least 4 over 4GB in size. I opened Hand Brake and clicked on the largest file (5.55GB), and it said that the file can't be located. I tried opening a lot of them, but Handbrake wouldn't do it.

I tried re-ripping the bluray, but it says that my trial period finished (after 1 use?), and that i have to buy the key to keep using it. I don't got money to shell out.

Is there any other ways I can rip my Blu Ray dvds? I finally got one that I want to do, and its not working.

Help, please?

gunthermic
Dec 25, 2010, 08:08 AM
Well, I haven't used it for months, but when I tried, it said that my version was outdated (v. 1.6.0), and that I had to upgrade to version 1.6.3.

After upgrading to version to 1.6.3, I put MY INCEPTION Blu Ray dvd inside. I clicked the backup dvd button (I didn't click the decryption button though, was I supposed to?)

And it ripped my bluray, and i saved it in a file, and its over 40GB in size.

The only problem is, is that I see 3 folders:

AACS
BDMV
CERTIFICATE

Inside the BDMV folder is a STREAM folder, and inside that, there are many files, ranging from a few KB to a few GB. There are 9 files with over 1GB in size, and at least 4 over 4GB in size. I opened Hand Brake and clicked on the largest file (5.55GB), and it said that the file can't be located. I tried opening a lot of them, but Handbrake wouldn't do it.

I tried re-ripping the bluray, but it says that my trial period finished (after 1 use?), and that i have to buy the key to keep using it. I don't got money to shell out.

Is there any other ways I can rip my Blu Ray dvds? I finally got one that I want to do, and its not working.

Help, please?

Yes you must select Decrypt. Otherwise HB can't handle files to begin with.

Took me about 1:30 hours to create backup File with MakeMKV

Once completed, selected Folder and HB read in 16 Chapters. I think the only problem was you didn't decrypt it.

Mr. Incredible
Dec 25, 2010, 08:10 AM
Yes you must select Decrypt. Otherwise HB can't handle files to begin with.

Whenever I click on the Decrypt button, it says that my trial is finished or something like that, and just doesn't allow me to do it. :/

gunthermic
Dec 25, 2010, 09:00 AM
Whenever I click on the Decrypt button, it says that my trial is finished or something like that, and just doesn't allow me to do it. :/

Uninstall, reboot, make sure directory is gone, and re-install.

GFLPraxis
Dec 25, 2010, 09:32 AM
Just because a large amount of the population does something doesn't make it legal, if you need proof research Germany in the early 1940's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reductio_ad_Hitlerum

Godwin's Law; first person to compare his opponent's position to Hitler in an internet debate loses.

GGs.

georgee2face
Dec 25, 2010, 01:17 PM

uninstall and re-install, or just pay. if you can pay ur friends for the movies, you can afford MakeMKV.

i've read this thread, and while i may or may not agree with how you are obtaining your dvds, thats your deal.

but really, the instructions for the software have been explained everywhere on this forum, and everywhere on this thread. really, stop and read and become familiar. if ur a pree-teen-get your dad to read the instructions for you.

and this is NOT a dis

peterjcat
Dec 26, 2010, 03:55 PM
This is a slight dis: don't post the same thing three times (so far), choose one thread and wait for the answers. I've given an answer in one of the other threads that might help.

Mr. Incredible
Dec 26, 2010, 03:58 PM
This is a slight dis: don't post the same thing three times (so far), choose one thread and wait for the answers. I've given an answer in one of the other threads that might help.

Yeah, a Mod warned me already, my bad.

But I did respond to your post in the other thread. :)

cjrivera
Apr 10, 2011, 11:12 PM
Sorry to bump an old post, but a quick question...

do the blu-ray player need to be external?

If I have a Mac Pro, can I just install it into the 2nd DVD drive slot?

Or does it have to be USB 2 for a reason?

Thanks.

Cave Man
Apr 11, 2011, 08:49 AM
do the blu-ray player need to be external? If I have a Mac Pro, can I just install it into the 2nd DVD drive slot?

It should work, but you'll have to try it.

Or does it have to be USB 2 for a reason?

If it doesn't work, then just buy a 5.25" enclosure for it (with a SATA internal interface). Mine is a Bytecc USB2/FW400 enclosure.