PDA

View Full Version : In Store Availability for Apple TV?

mrsollars
Sep 28, 2010, 11:45 AM
Does anyone have a date for in store availability?

haven't seen it announced or on the forum yet. My local 'genius' was clueless and recommended the 'old' apple tv, if i needed it immediately.

so, i ask you all......

thanks.

Matt

brotato
Sep 28, 2010, 01:39 PM
I have called around to a few stores in my area (Portland, OR) and none have them yet. They said it would be in before the end of the week so I am expecting tomorrow or thursday.

mrsollars
Sep 28, 2010, 01:45 PM
just got off the phone with the plaza store (kc, mo) and the girl i got said 2-3weeks. mid to late october. seems pretty far off.

tripjammer
Sep 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
I am hoping they come into store by end of week. If Ifixit does a good tear down and they find 512mb of ram and 16 GB of flash storage...I am gonna mosey on down to one of the apple stores and get me a backup Apple TV. I have more than one HDTV so....having multiple Apple TVs are a no brain er.

mrsollars
Sep 28, 2010, 02:21 PM
i can't believe it hasn't been mentioned somwhere. when they hit stores that is.....

ryanbates
Sep 28, 2010, 03:03 PM
I've tried calling my local store twice and no one will answer.

DJinTX
Sep 28, 2010, 03:42 PM
I don't think you are going to get any Apple employee that can tell you when they will be there. Most employees, including retail and tech/sales support are not given advance info.

So basically, before the new ATV is in store there will be an absence of info...and as soon as they are there you will see many posts here and on other forums by users trying to be the first to proclaim that they are available.

My guess is that they will have display units beginning Thursday or Friday morning... and then units will be available for sale roughly at the same time that the pre-ordered units start getting to customers. The hard part is that we do not yet know when Apple is instructing FedEx to start allowing deliveries. Soon hopefully.

amitdoc2b
Sep 28, 2010, 03:49 PM

haven't seen it announced or on the forum yet. My local 'genius' was clueless and recommended the 'old' apple tv, if i needed it immediately.

so, i ask you all......

thanks.

Matt

NYC flagship store said it will be in their store by "end of September", so anytime this week. He said call back through Thursday everyday for availability. I had called to check before realizing my Sept 9 pre-order already shipped with those that ordered Sept 1st.

lulla01
Sep 28, 2010, 04:17 PM
I was in an applestore today, the manager was confident about Thursday but said they will only have 50 or 60 of them

sjc83
Sep 28, 2010, 05:29 PM
I ordered from macmall.com when I get it, I get it.

Apple Corps
Sep 28, 2010, 05:39 PM
I ordered from macmall.com when I get it, I get it.

Amen to that :D I pre order and they arrive in the store before my order gets here. I wait to purchase from the Retail Store and the on-line orders are flowing in before I ever see them in the store.

You can't out guess them :D

Ikyo
Sep 29, 2010, 08:49 AM
just got off the phone with the plaza store (kc, mo) and the girl i got said 2-3weeks. mid to late october. seems pretty far off.

I called the store in Leawood and as usual they had no idea when it would be in.

CrAkD
Sep 29, 2010, 08:53 AM
I'm banking on tomorrow but I gotta meet in 2 malls today so I'll check both apple stores just in case.

jtamac
Sep 29, 2010, 10:12 AM
Was just in the Apple store in Tysons Corner in Northern Virginia and they had no clue as to when they would get them in store.

ubermenschs
Sep 29, 2010, 12:12 PM
Called the store on Lincoln Rd, in Miami Beach, FL. They were in-store this morning, sold out as of right now.

tripjammer
Sep 29, 2010, 12:16 PM
Called the store on Lincoln Rd, in Miami Beach, FL. They were in-store this morning, sold out as of right now.

WOW already sold out?

Dang this thing is really going to be popular.

$99 for a IOS device that connects to your TV? A no brainer...

jol45
Sep 29, 2010, 12:27 PM
Anyone try any Best Buy stores? I called a couple days ago and the person I talked to didn't even seem sure they were carrying the new :apple:tv (they were just assuming they would based on the other apple products they carry).

UnseenLlama
Sep 29, 2010, 12:52 PM
The Indianapolis Keystone store received a shipment today, but they have already sold out. Wonder how many were sent to the stores.

jol45
Sep 29, 2010, 01:10 PM
Anyone try any Best Buy stores? I called a couple days ago and the person I talked to didn't even seem sure they were carrying the new :apple:tv (they were just assuming they would based on the other apple products they carry).

Just called the same store and they told me that they didn't have it in stock and didn't anticipate having it in stock when it comes to stores either.

Foxer
Sep 29, 2010, 01:24 PM
Victory!

Called the local (Clarendon, VA) store before lunch and was told they had very few. Now they have one fewer....

When I showed up to buy, the clerk I spoke with seemed to be as surprised as me that they were in. I'll post another thread.

CrAkD
Sep 29, 2010, 01:29 PM
My girlfriend is enroute to get mine right now! Success!

jaykk
Sep 29, 2010, 01:34 PM
Called a few stores in Phoenix area - none arrived today at Camelback, Chandler or San Tan Village. They have it in Scottsdale store, going to go and pick one up.

compete12
Sep 29, 2010, 01:36 PM
Just bought one there.

Harry322
Sep 29, 2010, 02:20 PM
Just purchased the first unit they unpacked at the Beverly Center here in LA. They weren't even on the floor yet! If you are local and need to pick one up, I'd hurry over.

As of noon, none of the other stores in Los Angeles had them or knew when they were due...

Apple Guru
Sep 29, 2010, 02:24 PM
Purchased one in So. Cal during my lunch break. They only received 12 and sold about 5 so far.

Macwick
Sep 29, 2010, 02:33 PM
Just called the Apple store in Reston, VA. They got some in this morning but sold out and have no idea when the next shipment is coming in.

With the iPad the stores got daily shipments, so hopefully that will be the case w/ the Apple TV as well.....

ArsDigitalis
Sep 29, 2010, 04:05 PM
Just called Apple Store in Aventura,Fl.
They know nothing. In short they expect the new Apple TV to arrive mid october.
Funny.

mrsollars
Sep 29, 2010, 04:10 PM
nothing in leawood or kc. Got the standard, ''If we don't have it, I'm not sure why you'd think other people had it?" bit. I started listing all of the towns from this thread that have purchased it already. (he wasn't amused)

musicpenguy
Sep 29, 2010, 04:17 PM
The Indianapolis Keystone store received a shipment today, but they have already sold out. Wonder how many were sent to the stores.

I bought mine from Indy at around 11 am they had about 15 on shelves - so I guess I was lucky getting in early

UnseenLlama
Sep 29, 2010, 04:19 PM
I bought mine from Indy at around 11 am they had about 15 on shelves - so I guess I was lucky getting in early

Ha....I called them at 10:30 and they indicated that they had received none yet. I knew I should have just went over there. :D Was looking to pick up a second one for the TV in our basement. Oh wells.

musicpenguy
Sep 29, 2010, 04:41 PM
Oh wow! - that's crazy I'm looking back at my phone history - I called at 10:34 am and they said they had very limited amounts and rushed over and had it purchased by 11 - so maybe ... you talked to someone that didn't know or they just got them in when I called.

Another crazy day in the Apple world of launches

MCRunning
Sep 29, 2010, 04:42 PM
Just purchased the first unit they unpacked at the Beverly Center here in LA. They weren't even on the floor yet! If you are local and need to pick one up, I'd hurry over.

As of noon, none of the other stores in Los Angeles had them or knew when they were due...

I just called and they said they didn't even get any :confused:

Edit: Just called back this time she said they got a few in. I asked her if she got one for herself, she said I don't think so. I said everyone else working there get one then and she said probably lol. I called them this morning too around 10 and 11 and they said they didn't get any. Same with the Grove they said didn't get any now they sold out. It's incredible

JimKirk
Sep 29, 2010, 04:56 PM
I bought mine there today.

Firmware says it is 4.0 for some reason.

I thought they were supposed to be running 4.1

Software update says there is no update.

I am going to try the restore using the new firmware in itunes to see if it will take.

Harry322
Sep 29, 2010, 05:14 PM
I just called and they said they didn't even get any :confused:

Edit: Just called back this time she said they got a few in. I asked her if she got one for herself, she said I don't think so. I said everyone else working there get one then and she said probably lol. I called them this morning too around 10 and 11 and they said they didn't get any. Same with the Grove they said didn't get any now they sold out. It's incredible

When I got mine, they had to get it from the back room - it wasn't on the floor. Is it possible that they weren't supposed to go on sale this early and some store managers simply jumped the gun?

CBlake82
Sep 29, 2010, 05:21 PM
I just picked mine up from the University Village store in Seattle! Called around and other stores said they didn't have them yet. The old ATV was still on display at the store though, so no indication that these are being advertised in store yet. Good luck to you all! :D

Apple Expert
Sep 29, 2010, 05:24 PM
I just picked mine up from the University Village store in Seattle! Called around and other stores said they didn't have them yet. The old ATV was still on display at the store though, so no indication that these are being advertised in store yet. Good luck to you all! :D

Same here. Got mine during my lunch. They only received 12 of them and sold 5 in about an hour.

MCRunning
Sep 29, 2010, 05:29 PM
When I got mine, they had to get it from the back room - it wasn't on the floor. Is it possible that they weren't supposed to go on sale this early and some store managers simply jumped the gun?

Nah every store in LA got em in. The one on Santa Monica told me to try back around 10:30 tomorrow (usually what time they get their shipments)

mac mac mac
Sep 29, 2010, 06:05 PM
Called the Apple store in Bellevue, WA around 11am, and the lady said they have very limited quantities. Got there by 11:15am and picked up 2 ATVs. The guy behind me also bought an ATV. I hope everyone will get one soon.

iFisherman
Sep 29, 2010, 06:08 PM
I just called the Oklahoma City store. The guy I spoke to said they only got about 6 of them and sold out this morning. He told me to call back daily around 11:30 to see if they had more.

rusty2192
Sep 29, 2010, 06:12 PM
I called both stores in Kentucky this afternoon and they both said they didn't receive any. Hopefully tomorrow, and hopefully they last long enough for me to get one after work.

On a side note, the first time i called, they said they don't get their shipment for the day until around noon at the Lexington store, so maybe thats why the poster earlier called at 10:30 and they said they didn't have any, but did at 11.

Shanewilliams
Sep 29, 2010, 06:34 PM
Just got off the phone with local apple store in ridgeland ms and they have a few in stock. Guy told me if I was headed that way now I should be able to get one. He said they've actually sold quite a bit of them today. This really surprised me being here in Mississippi!

Warbrain
Sep 29, 2010, 06:41 PM
I plan on calling around tomorrow to see if they have any in stock.

My only issue is my TV doesn't have HDMI. :(

firstapple
Sep 29, 2010, 06:50 PM
I just got the last one from the Walden Galleria store in Buffalo, NY. Getting it set up now!!

Shanewilliams
Sep 29, 2010, 06:51 PM
I plan on calling around tomorrow to see if they have any in stock.

My only issue is my TV doesn't have HDMI. :(

I just thought about the same thing! My LCD does have hdmi but I've always just used component inputs since I have rg59 and compression RCA connectors at work, so I just make my own cables and they're better then any cables I could buy! So now I'm rushing to apple to get an apple tv, meanwhile arguing with myself as to if I really have the money for this today! After tax $107 then I have to buy an hdmi cable and I think walmarts cheapest is $20, so decisions, decisions! They shouldn't included the hdmi cable! For those without one it quickly becomes at least $125 device!

Warbrain
Sep 29, 2010, 06:52 PM
I just thought about the same thing! My LCD does have hdmi but I've always just used component inputs since I have rg59 and compression RCA connectors at work, so I just make my own cables and they're better then any cables I could buy! So now I'm rushing to apple to get an apple tv, meanwhile arguing with myself as to if I really have the money for this today! After tax $107 then I have to buy an hdmi cable and I think walmarts cheapest is $20, so decisions, decisions! They shouldn't included the hdmi cable! For those without one it quickly becomes at least $125 device!

Well, I need to figure out how I'm going to get something from HDMI to component. This is why I'm still considering the Roku.

conshok26
Sep 29, 2010, 07:02 PM
I just got the last one from the Walden Galleria store in Buffalo, NY. Getting it set up now!!

Did they say anything about getting more in stock tomorrow? I plan on stopping there after work tomorrow.

DJinTX
Sep 29, 2010, 07:11 PM

$20 is way too much for HDMI cable. Monoprice.com is the place to get them. You can probably get 3 of them for $20, depending on length.

Shanewilliams
Sep 29, 2010, 07:12 PM
Well, I need to figure out how I'm going to get something from HDMI to component. This is why I'm still considering the Roku.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/186-7272100-4512133?a=B002WBOQPU

We have used one similar for work and they seem to work pretty well.

Apple Corps
Sep 29, 2010, 07:12 PM

What is the big deal on figuring it out??

http://www.amazon.com/Component-Video-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B001IUQB2W

fpnc
Sep 29, 2010, 07:20 PM

That won't work. You need an active converter that also supports HDCP and that will cost you anywhere from $100 to $200 (U.S.).

PurdueGuy
Sep 29, 2010, 07:27 PM
No luck at Los Cerritos (Cerritos, Cali).

pirate03
Sep 29, 2010, 07:32 PM
Picked mine up at the Apple store at Crabtree in Raleigh NC

Shanewilliams
Sep 29, 2010, 07:42 PM
Well, I am pissed! As mentioned in my previous post I called the apple store in ridgeland ms after I got off work. Due to where I worked at today I was only about 60 miles from the store. The guy I spoke to said he'd set one aside for me. Well, after making my drive and arriving all happy and giddy at the store, I walk in the store to find that they are selling the last one and to an employee that just got off work at that! I was told that I should be able to get one Monday.! That's it! No apology, nothing! Most everyone at this apple store knows Me and knows that it's a 118 mile trip from my driveway to the apple store. I don't know if apple is supposed to set items aside for customers or not, I know they did when I called a few weeks ago about a mini dvi to VGA cable. My point is don't tell someone something and then do something else!

fpnc
Sep 29, 2010, 07:47 PM
I was able to get the last available unit at the Escondido, California Apple Store at around 3pm today. The Carlsbad, Calif. Apple Store is just telling people to check back later in the week (they claim that they haven't received any of the new Apple TVs -- but the store manager is probably holding the units back until they get a demo unit out for display).

One thing I can say about the new Apple TV is that it has the prettiest power chord I've ever seen -- matte black with a distinctive wall plug that is stamped with a "Designed by Apple in California" tag (on the flat part of the plug that faces the wall outlet). The cord also coils naturally since it is quite flat and will flex in only one direction (this latter could cause problems in some setups but it sure looks nice and it lays absolutely flat as it comes out of the back of the Apple TV).

Bozley0621
Sep 29, 2010, 07:48 PM

Crabtree has an Apple store now? Woohoo, no more truckin' it up to Cary.

I picked mine up from Montgomery Mall tonight. They had a few left.

Unfortunately we got stuck in the 270 traffic resulting from the bus wreck. I hope there aren't anymore fatalities beyond the one...very sad.

jgunn
Sep 29, 2010, 07:52 PM
Whoohooo picked up the last one at the ridgeland store today after I knocked off work. got my 15% discount to as I work there. Sweet

pirate03
Sep 29, 2010, 07:54 PM

There is also a Apple store at the streets at south point in Durham if that's closer.

CrAkD
Sep 29, 2010, 08:07 PM
my girlfriend called a bunch of stores around boston looking for 1 at 2pm. chestnut hill had some so she rushed there. when she got there they said they sold the last one 15 minutes ago. so she called me and let me know. i started calling places around 4 when i got off work and cambridge side galleria had VERY limited quantities left they told me not to even bother coming because theyd be gone by the time I got there. I called my girlfriend back and asked where she was. DRIVING BY CAMBRIDGESIDE coming back from Chestnut Hill!! haha. I told her to rush in there as they had a few left. she got 1 of 3 left. funny the luck of timing on this one.

Warbrain
Sep 29, 2010, 08:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well, I am pissed! As mentioned in my previous post I called the apple store in ridgeland ms after I got off work. Due to where I worked at today I was only about 60 miles from the store. The guy I spoke to said he'd set one aside for me. Well, after making my drive and arriving all happy and giddy at the store, I walk in the store to find that they are selling the last one and to an employee that just got off work at that! I was told that I should be able to get one Monday.! That's it! No apology, nothing! Most everyone at this apple store knows Me and knows that it's a 118 mile trip from my driveway to the apple store. I don't know if apple is supposed to set items aside for customers or not, I know they did when I called a few weeks ago about a mini dvi to VGA cable. My point is don't tell someone something and then do something else!

Apple won't hold new products for anyone. You wasted your time.

Warbrain
Sep 29, 2010, 08:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

That won't work. You need an active converter that also supports HDCP and that will cost you anywhere from $100 to $200 (U.S.).

Exacty. That's why I want the AppleTV but will likely get the Roku.

thetruth1985
Sep 29, 2010, 08:14 PM
Whoohooo picked up the last one at the ridgeland store today after I knocked off work. got my 15% discount to as I work there. Sweet

This is just mean lol!

Shanewilliams
Sep 29, 2010, 08:24 PM

So you're the one that grabbed the last one?? I'm not mad that you grabbed the last one, the employee that said they'd set one aside for me after i tell him how far the trip is for me and the I make an almost 3.5 roundtrip only to find out they're selling the last one and to an employee at that?? I'm not sure about anyone else but my customers will always be able to buy the last anything that we sell or
Install before an employee that works for me does! Not to mention my post is 2 above yours and it clearly states the store I went to and you come on here bragging,?? That's kind of a d1ck move!!

PurdueGuy
Sep 29, 2010, 08:26 PM
So you're the one that grabbed the last one?? I'm not mad that you grabbed the last one, the employee that said they'd set one aside for me after i tell him how far the trip is for me and the I make an almost 3.5 roundtrip only to find out they're selling the last one and to an employee at that?? I'm not sure about anyone else but my customers will always be able to buy the last anything that we sell or
Install before an employee that works for me does! Not to mention my post is 2 above yours and it clearly states the store I went to and you come on here bragging,?? That's kind of a d1ck move!!
If it's true, that's pretty bad customer service.

However, I have friends that work for Apple retail, and usually they are barred from getting employee discounts on new items. How long depends on the popularity, etc. I haven't confirmed yet about the AppleTV, if they are restricted on that one.

jgunn
Sep 29, 2010, 08:29 PM

I was just joking dude.

Shanewilliams
Sep 29, 2010, 08:38 PM

Apple won't hold new products for anyone. You wasted your time.

Like I mentioned I wasn't sure of apples policy on this but after they set aside the cable I needed a few weeks back I figured it wouldn't hurt to call, check and ask them to do do if they had one. My issue is the employee shouldn't have told me he'd set it aside especially after I made it known how far I had to drive so they'd know i wasn't right around the corner and think I wasn't coming. My other issue is the fact that they sold it to an employee after I told
Them what the situation was. Not to mentioning he's on here making his little jokes about the whole
Situation! Some of us work hard for a living and don't have money to waste on gas. Some of us have children that we have to find babysitters for so we don't have to drag them to the apple store with us. Anyone with a 3, 9 and 14 year old will understand where I'm coming from! Ultimately my only issue is if you say you're going to do something then do it! If you're not sure that you can do it, ask someone who knows!

Shanewilliams
Sep 29, 2010, 08:39 PM
I was just joking dude.

Thanks for letting me know that, I was starting to harbor some bad feelings! I'm sorry if I came across in a bad way, my bad!

sjc83
Sep 29, 2010, 08:40 PM
Cleveland apple store, sold out.

CrAkD
Sep 29, 2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks for letting me know that, I was starting to harbor some bad feelings! I'm sorry if I came across in a bad way, my bad!

dude I feel for ya. As you can see my story. I was totally bummed when the first store sold out before she got there haha. I ended up getting one today but If I had driven a couple hours to get it I would have been pissed.

jgunn
Sep 29, 2010, 08:52 PM
sorry it was a mean joke, if it makes you feel better mine was meant to come today but has been delayed to next wednesday because of a shipping delay to australia. oh well.

Apple Corps
Sep 29, 2010, 09:06 PM

Expand on that please - that cable will provide video and audio will it not? If so, it would be functional on non DRM content - or no??

firstapple
Sep 29, 2010, 09:08 PM
Did they say anything about getting more in stock tomorrow? I plan on stopping there after work tomorrow.

I didn't ask them, so I am not sure. I was surprised there was one left at 8PM. Call tomorrow around noon to see if they expect a delivery...

Shanewilliams
Sep 29, 2010, 09:17 PM
dude I feel for ya. As you can see my story. I was totally bummed when the first store sold out before she got there haha. I ended up getting one today but If I had driven a couple hours to get it I would have been pissed.

Glad you ended up getting one! I'm over it now, it will all work out in the end!

jaykk
Sep 29, 2010, 09:22 PM
I missed out on the last one today at Scottsdale store, i called them, they told they have a few left, within 30 minutes all gone. I guess each store is getting very few apple tvs. Will try my luck tomorrow morning.

guitargoddsjm
Sep 29, 2010, 09:41 PM
Does anyone know anything about metro Atlanta stores (particularly Lenox and Perimeter)?

I preordered one through Amazon, and a customer service agent told me that it would 1-day ship tomorrow so I'd get it for Friday, but if I don't receive any notification, I'll just pick it up from a store...

fpnc
Sep 29, 2010, 09:52 PM
Expand on that please - that cable will provide video and audio will it not? If so, it would be functional on non DRM content - or no??

Just read the comments on that link to amazon that you provided -- that will explain the situation.

amnost
Sep 29, 2010, 09:59 PM
I called several Apple Stores today, and I found out the following:

- Every Apple store got a delivery of Apple TVs today
- My Apple Store only got 20 in and they sold out very quickly
- They expect to get more in tomorrow or the day after, at latest

Hope that helps :)

8CoreWhore
Sep 29, 2010, 10:03 PM
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

Cables way cheaper...

Ikyo
Sep 29, 2010, 10:04 PM
Doesn't make much sense....it says mine is in Alaska, but won't be delivered until the 5th. FedEx must be taking the slow boat from China.

Warbrain
Sep 29, 2010, 10:19 PM
Like I mentioned I wasn't sure of apples policy on this but after they set aside the cable I needed a few weeks back I figured it wouldn't hurt to call, check and ask them to do do if they had one. My issue is the employee shouldn't have told me he'd set it aside especially after I made it known how far I had to drive so they'd know i wasn't right around the corner and think I wasn't coming. My other issue is the fact that they sold it to an employee after I told
Them what the situation was. Not to mentioning he's on here making his little jokes about the whole
Situation! Some of us work hard for a living and don't have money to waste on gas. Some of us have children that we have to find babysitters for so we don't have to drag them to the apple store with us. Anyone with a 3, 9 and 14 year old will understand where I'm coming from! Ultimately my only issue is if you say you're going to do something then do it! If you're not sure that you can do it, ask someone who knows!

Yeah, the employee shouldn't have said that. I totally understand where you're coming from because I work 8-5 so don't worry, totally preaching to someone who wouldn't be able to do the same thing.

And now you learned - don't ever trust Apple when they say they'll hold something. The cable was a special occurrence because those sell about as good as anything in a Sony Style store.

Cleverboy
Sep 29, 2010, 10:21 PM
I called around and picked up an Apple TV tonight at Natick Collection in Massachusetts. Providence Place, Braintree/South Shore, and Dedham was a no go. I dropped by and the guy I talked to didn't even know they'd come in yet. The woman on the phone had said there was only a few that had come in.

Had to update all of my iTunes copies, but overall, relatively smooth goings. Understanding the limits of AirPlay (Alert: These speakers are in use by someone else). Seeing performance limitations by streaming everything. But, lots and lots and lots to love. Can't wait to see if an Apple TV "App Store" will ever find the "right time" for Apple.

~ CB

jol45
Sep 29, 2010, 10:23 PM
Anyone else here relying on Best Buy to pick one up? I called today and they didn't seem know and even assumed that they weren't getting any shipments of them.

Apple Corps
Sep 29, 2010, 11:32 PM
fpnc - a laugh on me :rolleyes:

I so know hdmi is digital

I also know component is analog

I really know there is no super shrunk dac in that cable

Sometimes you Google something and fail to think about the result

Might be easier to just buy a new TV for Warbrain :D

CrAkD
Sep 29, 2010, 11:58 PM
I called around and picked up an Apple TV tonight at Natick Collection in Massachusetts. Providence Place, Braintree/South Shore, and Dedham was a no go. I dropped by and the guy I talked to didn't even know they'd come in yet. The woman on the phone had said there was only a few that had come in.

Had to update all of my iTunes copies, but overall, relatively smooth goings. Understanding the limits of AirPlay (Alert: These speakers are in use by someone else). Seeing performance limitations by streaming everything. But, lots and lots and lots to love. Can't wait to see if an Apple TV "App Store" will ever find the "right time" for Apple.

~ CB

glad to see you got one around here. check out my story on the previous page about my drama of getting one in Boston haha.

akuma13x
Sep 30, 2010, 09:43 AM
So I pretty much called all the DC area Apple stores and none have them in stock. So i guess new shipments are coming on friday?

Ikyo
Sep 30, 2010, 10:21 AM

so, i ask you all......

thanks.

Matt

Let me know if you find any around KC. I have a feeling they are going to be very hard to get. I honestly don't want to wait to have mine delivered because it keeps getting delayed.

ChrisB1
Sep 30, 2010, 10:46 AM
So I pretty much called all the DC area Apple stores and none have them in stock. So i guess new shipments are coming on friday?

Thanks. I was going to call the Clarendon store but I'll hold off now. Did they give any indication when they will get them in?

akuma13x
Sep 30, 2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks. I was going to call the Clarendon store but I'll hold off now. Did they give any indication when they will get them in?

One of the Bethesda stores said they never got any so possibly Friday.

Fazzl
Sep 30, 2010, 10:58 AM
Anyone know if the Boston store has any today?

thetruth1985
Sep 30, 2010, 11:24 AM
First colony mall just got some if anyone is in Houston. I just picked up one.

maturola
Sep 30, 2010, 11:45 AM
Does anyone know anything about metro Atlanta stores (particularly Lenox and Perimeter)?

I preordered one through Amazon, and a customer service agent told me that it would 1-day ship tomorrow so I'd get it for Friday, but if I don't receive any notification, I'll just pick it up from a store...

DiD you have any luck at any of the ATL stores?

edit: just called Perimeter, they haven't receive any yet.

kelleybp
Sep 30, 2010, 12:04 PM
Greenville, SC just got its first shipment today. Guy that I spoke with said they got a very limited number.

ukwildcat
Sep 30, 2010, 12:32 PM
Coconut Point Store in Estero, FL has them in stock. Not sure how many, but my wife picked up 2 today (within the past hour) no problem.

jol45
Sep 30, 2010, 12:38 PM
Best Buy anyone? I don't live within an hour of an apple store.

tripjammer
Sep 30, 2010, 01:06 PM
Anybody see any at other places besides the Apple store?
Looks like after everybody found out that it had 8gb of storage and that is was jailbreakable...they flock down to the apple stores and bought them up.

Hot Hot Hot the new Apple TV is!

theman510
Sep 30, 2010, 01:18 PM
Just picked one up in the Rockaway, NJ :apple: store

madscribe99
Sep 30, 2010, 01:19 PM
DiD you have any luck at any of the ATL stores?

edit: just called Perimeter, they haven't receive any yet.

I just walked out of Lenox with one. They're going quick.

maturola
Sep 30, 2010, 01:21 PM

:( I'm too far from Lenox right now, i will stop after work maybe i get lucky

dhy8386
Sep 30, 2010, 01:25 PM
Just picked one up at UWS store in Manhattan. Have 4 more left as of 2:20pm.

guitargoddsjm
Sep 30, 2010, 01:35 PM

I'm ~ 20min from Lenox... Do you know how many they had left?

Zimmy68
Sep 30, 2010, 01:45 PM
Called yesterday.
Apple Store drone said they had them and they sold out (wouldn't tell me how many).
Called this morning and the female drone said they had "a few".
I headed over the bridge and entered the store, no sight of them.
Asked one of the many blue shirts standing around and she said they had them in the back (they had the old AppleTVs still on the shelf).
They went out of their way to tell me I needed an HDMI cable (like I expect to have the HDMI cable included on a $99 device).
So, at the end of the day, I nabbed one.
So happy I didn't bother pre-ordering.

[This is the Tampa, FL area, btw]

rusty2192
Sep 30, 2010, 01:49 PM
My local store (Lexington, Ky) got some today but are sold out already. I'm considering seeing if Louisville has any and make the 100+ mile round trip over there tonight if they do.

waynema
Sep 30, 2010, 01:58 PM
There are maybe around 20 left in University Ave Palo Alto store.
Walked out with one just now.

TheGarreth
Sep 30, 2010, 02:02 PM
I called the Los Gatos store this morning around 10:15 and the girl I spoke to said they only had a few left. Left my office & drove the 20 minutes to there from my office and snagged the second to last one they had left. Like most other stores, they're keeping them in back and still have the old Apple TV's on shelf in the store.
Can't wait to get home this afternoon & set it up!

davidwarren
Sep 30, 2010, 02:03 PM
the wife just bought three of the last four at the Louisville store!

madscribe99
Sep 30, 2010, 02:06 PM
I'm ~ 20min from Lenox... Do you know how many they had left?

They didn't have them out on display. All of the stock they did have was in the back.

maturola
Sep 30, 2010, 02:10 PM
They didn't have them out on display. All of the stock they did have was in the back.

I'm stuck at the office :(, I really hope to get lucky a bit later :cool:

rusty2192
Sep 30, 2010, 02:10 PM
the wife just bought three of the last four at the Louisville store!

You stink! Haha, just kidding. :p Ok, looks like I won't bother driving over there tonight.

davidwarren
Sep 30, 2010, 02:11 PM
You stink! Haha, just kidding. :p Ok, looks like I won't bother driving over there tonight.

still one left if you hurry, she said they told her they were going fast though.

PurdueGuy
Sep 30, 2010, 02:15 PM
Los Cerritos (Cerritos, Caliifornia) just had some in stock. Not on display yet. Had to ask for one from the back.

Tripinbillie
Sep 30, 2010, 02:17 PM
Austin, TX Domain had some today. You have to request them from the back stock.

Diode
Sep 30, 2010, 02:28 PM

Clarendon has them. Just bought one and it seemed like they had about a dozen left. Guy who sold it thought they didn't have them...

akuma13x
Sep 30, 2010, 02:41 PM
Clarendon has them. Just bought one and it seemed like they had about a dozen left. Guy who sold it thought they didn't have them...

Crap! off i go!

gentleman00
Sep 30, 2010, 03:01 PM
Bridgeport mall ( Tigard, OR) had handful this morning. Thats where I got mine!!

sjc83
Sep 30, 2010, 03:18 PM
Legacy Village, Cleveland has a TON in stock.

KDR
Sep 30, 2010, 03:32 PM
Anybody see any at other places besides the Apple store?
Looks like after everybody found out that it had 8gb of storage and that is was jailbreakable...they flock down to the apple stores and bought them up.

Hot Hot Hot the new Apple TV is!

Funny, but I think this has a very small influence on everyone except for those who visit macrumors.

guitargoddsjm
Sep 30, 2010, 03:42 PM

I was there about 30min-1hr ago, they still had them in stock. Picked up mine!

rusty2192
Sep 30, 2010, 03:53 PM

This whole work thing really does put a damper on things. Especially when the nearest Apple Store to work is at least 30 miles away.

KDR
Sep 30, 2010, 04:07 PM
This whole work thing really does put a damper on things. Especially when the nearest Apple Store to work is at least 30 miles away.

That's why preorders and presigning for shipments were created.

julieknits
Sep 30, 2010, 04:08 PM
For those in northern Virginia, the Tysons Corner did get a shipment early this afternoon. No idea how many are left now if any, but I did succeed in buying one. My timing was lucky -- I called at 10:30 with no luck. When I called later at 1, they had just received their shipment.

DJinTX
Sep 30, 2010, 04:10 PM
Called yesterday.
Apple Store drone said they had them and they sold out (wouldn't tell me how many).
Called this morning and the female drone said they had "a few".
I headed over the bridge and entered the store, no sight of them.
Asked one of the many blue shirts standing around and she said they had them in the back (they had the old AppleTVs still on the shelf).
They went out of their way to tell me I needed an HDMI cable (like I expect to have the HDMI cable included on a $99 device).
So, at the end of the day, I nabbed one.
So happy I didn't bother pre-ordering.

[This is the Tampa, FL area, btw]

So how much is Apple charging for HDMI cables in store these days? I know what they have online, but often times product prices and availability are different once you get to the store.

DJinTX
Sep 30, 2010, 04:14 PM
Austin, TX Domain had some today. You have to request them from the back stock.

Just curious, what time were you there, and did you get any indication of how many they had left?

mrsollars
Sep 30, 2010, 04:26 PM
Just picked one up at the plaza store in kc.
At3:30pm they had 9 left on the shelf. Didn't ask about any in the back. Good luck everybody.
Matt

Ikyo
Sep 30, 2010, 04:31 PM
Good to know...I tried the store in Leawood and they sold out this morning.

daftpunk329
Sep 30, 2010, 04:36 PM
for the socal OC people

just left with one at the Irvine Spectrum Apple Store. They were on display, but they didn't have a working demo yet. According to the staff, they had plenty on hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Costa Mesa or Fashion Island stores got a big shipment this morning, too.

-e

maturola
Sep 30, 2010, 04:39 PM

Just walked out of Lenox mall store (Atlanta GA) with the last one they got, guy said they are suppose to get more tomorrow

rusty2192
Sep 30, 2010, 04:42 PM
That's why preorders and presigning for shipments were created.

True. This time I just decided too late in the game that i wanted the Apple TV. I usually do preorder for new items. I put an order in this time on 9/25 with a ship date of 10/19, so right now i am basically just trying to get one sooner. If i don't, its no big deal, it just would be nice. That, and I never would have guessed that it would be this popular at launch. In the beginning of preorders i figured i would be able to walk into the store on the evening of launch day and get one. Guess i was wrong :)

ukwildcat
Sep 30, 2010, 04:45 PM
Coconut Point Store in Estero, FL has them in stock. Not sure how many, but my wife picked up 2 today (within the past hour) no problem.

UPDATE

My wife got home and told me there was 1 left after she bought hers. HTH.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Sep 30, 2010, 04:46 PM
They just ran out at one store around here. Haven't bothered looking at other stores.

gentleman00
Sep 30, 2010, 04:47 PM
So how much is Apple charging for HDMI cables in store these days? I know what they have online, but often times product prices and availability are different once you get to the store.

Ordered mine from Amazon. 2.50 each and it works fine. No need to spend 40-50 bucks on HDMI cables.

DJinTX
Sep 30, 2010, 04:53 PM
Ordered mine from Amazon. 2.50 each and it works fine. No need to spend 40-50 bucks on HDMI cables.

I agree, although I have been pleased with Monoprice.com in the past. I was just curious about Apple's prices in store. If they had one for $10, I might be willing to do this to not have to wait for shipping.

bannedfromtv
Sep 30, 2010, 05:33 PM
Yessss after calling my local store all morning they didn't have them in yet but I Thought to hell with it and drove 30 mins to my local store..I asked the first blue shirted person I saw and lone behold they had just got their shipment and I picked mine up :) forget the pre ordering crap

jaykk
Sep 30, 2010, 05:42 PM
There are several in Chandler, AZ store, at least 20 of them left in the rack an hour ago. I picked one up.

Edit : Apple definitely not promoting this, still considers as a hobby. The old apple tv is still on the floor as a display model. Apple always prompt on replacing old ones with new ones, except in case of AppleTV.

mrj412
Sep 30, 2010, 06:38 PM
Just picked one up at the plaza store in kc.
At3:30pm they had 9 left on the shelf. Didn't ask about any in the back. Good luck everybody.
Matt

Went after work and picked up the 2nd to last one. Looked at the shelf again after I had paid and the last one was gone. Wonderful weather for a walk around the Plaza and picked up an Apple TV too. :)

ericvmazzone
Sep 30, 2010, 06:49 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan had some in today. When I called at 1pm they said they weren't selling quickly, but when I was in an hour later two other people were buying them.

DJinTX
Sep 30, 2010, 08:13 PM
There are several in Chandler, AZ store, at least 20 of them left in the rack an hour ago. I picked one up.

Edit : Apple definitely not promoting this, still considers as a hobby. The old apple tv is still on the floor as a display model. Apple always prompt on replacing old ones with new ones, except in case of AppleTV.

Hmmm, maybe this is intentional...maybe they want to be able to say to shareholders or the media or potential buyers that "Oh my god, the new ATV is so popular we couldn't even get a display set up or put them on the shelves before we were completely sold out!"

OldSchoolMacGuy
Sep 30, 2010, 09:40 PM
Minneapolis Uptown store was all out this afternoon. Drove to the Ridgedale store and grabbed one. Thy still had a couple at 5:30pm but wouldn't say how many, just "Some". Uptown store said they'd get in more soon but wouldn't say how soon or when and said they didn't know when they'd come in.

cadillac1234
Sep 30, 2010, 10:21 PM
Walked into the Corte Madera, CA store today and got one today.

Very cool setup. I just wish I didn't have to convert my whole library from avi. A VLC App will be the killer.

rubbernecker72
Oct 1, 2010, 10:15 AM
Anyone picked up one in Charlotte yet? I have called the Southpark store the last couple of days and they had no idea when they would get any in. Thinking of just stopping in this afternoon.....

netboy47
Oct 1, 2010, 10:15 AM
Has anyone in Central Jersey bought one at an Apple store? Apparently they all had some earlier this week but sold them out quickly and haven't gotten new stock yet.

BabsonM3
Oct 1, 2010, 10:57 AM
Quite a few in stock at Legacy Place in Dedham, MA at 11:00am.

smithrh
Oct 1, 2010, 11:01 AM
Just got a promotional email from Apple about the ATV2, it specifically says they are in stores now.

Nick23
Oct 1, 2010, 11:08 AM
i just picked up two at the crabtree valley mall store in raleigh NC, they said they had plenty in stock

jlluna
Oct 1, 2010, 11:34 AM
Just picked one up at partridge creek apple store In Micigan.

SaintsMac
Oct 1, 2010, 11:53 AM
Just picked one up at partridge creek apple store In Micigan.

Did you happen to notice how many they had left?

raymanster
Oct 1, 2010, 11:58 AM
i just picked up two at the crabtree valley mall store in raleigh NC, they said they had plenty in stock

Me too just got mine in the same store. Guy who served me said they have 10 or so left.

iFisherman
Oct 1, 2010, 12:23 PM
I just picked one up at the Oklahoma City store. There were 7 or 8 left on the shelf after I grabbed mine. As I was waiting to pay, one of the Blue-Shirts came out from the back with what looked like about 10 more.

The guy who walked in the store in front of me was also getting one, and I saw two other people carrying one each while they were looking around.

rusty2192
Oct 1, 2010, 12:46 PM
Got one during lunch at the Lexington, KY store. Time to cancel my online order before it ships.

Avenger
Oct 1, 2010, 12:49 PM
Are they going to be selling these at Best Buy? I know the original version was sold there. Thanks...

RockRidgeGames
Oct 1, 2010, 12:56 PM
Austin, TX Domain store is completely sold out. They expect more tomorrow morning (small shipment) with larger shipments on Monday/Tuesday.

Called Best Buy, who said they do/will indeed be carrying the unit but don't have any in stock and don't know when they'll be getting them.

Bummer.

jajohns8
Oct 1, 2010, 01:02 PM

Called at lunch time today for my store (Crabtree Valley in Raleigh, NC) and they said they had it in.

Went to pick it up and when the person came back from the back to to hand it to the person checking me out, they said they had 2 left.

jclardy
Oct 1, 2010, 01:05 PM
Man, this reminds me of trying to find the iPad Camera Connection Kit in stores. I'm not sure if my local store even has those yet...

zed
Oct 1, 2010, 01:22 PM
In Houston for the weekend, just checked the Galleria store and was told that they were sold out. They said they might get more tomorrow. If not, guess I'll hit the Lenox store when I get back to ATL, or maybe order from Amazon since I need another HDMI cable anyway.

excommie
Oct 1, 2010, 01:43 PM
Michigan Ave store had at least 20 of them in stock at 11:30 CST today.

adr1974
Oct 1, 2010, 01:53 PM
Apple Store Bethesda Row has plenty in stock (less the two I just took off their hands...)

EvilC5
Oct 1, 2010, 02:47 PM
Apple store in Columbia md had 2 left....now 1.

smithrh
Oct 1, 2010, 05:25 PM
Chicago Woodfield sold out (darn).

While I was looking at other stuff there I saw 3 people get the same "sorry sold out" message in the 10 minutes I was there.

WishIWasHere
Oct 1, 2010, 08:34 PM
I picked one up at the Apple Store in Greensboro NC today. It was the only one on the shelf and I didn't ask if they had others, but worth checking out I guess.

twofivethreetwo
Oct 2, 2010, 04:56 PM
I had mine ordered online with a ship date of Oct 14 but got word they had some in stock at the Apple Stores in the Dallas, Texas area. I ended up going to the University Village Apple Store in Fort Worth last night and bought an Apple TV. They had several in stock but they were selling pretty fast they said.

On a side note; it is amazing what Apple does with size, it is just so small.

MacProDude
Oct 2, 2010, 05:29 PM
Apple Store near here (Valley Fair, San Jose, CA) was out of them this morning...went to a nearby Fry's and picked one up. Had about 10 more left.

Didn't think about the HDMI cable - it doesn't come with one. Stole the one from my PS3 until I can pick one up. :)

ipoddin
Oct 2, 2010, 05:36 PM
Walked in to a store at Topenga Plaza in LA. And walked out with one. No pre order. They had quite a few in stock.

stealthman1
Oct 3, 2010, 02:01 AM
Apple store in Roseville, Ca was out this afternoon...:mad:

ericwang
Oct 3, 2010, 02:08 AM
The Apple Store in Arden Fair (Sacramento, California) had them in stock today. They said they had just gotten a new shipment.

glennsan
Oct 3, 2010, 02:21 AM
Otay Ranch in San Diego was out when I went there today at 5 pm. Said they had received 20 around noon and all were gone. Only had one left that they were putting out on the floor to look at.

As I held it in my hand I was amazed at how heavy and how incredibly tiny it was.

Glenn

Wavell
Oct 3, 2010, 03:50 AM
I popped into the Norwich Apple store (UK) on the off-chance yesterday.. they said they hadn't even seen one, let alone taken delivery of any.

The_Roo
Oct 3, 2010, 04:02 AM
In the Liverpool Apple store yesterday they still had the old ATV on display. They had no idea when they would be getting the new one in.

JSMencer
Oct 3, 2010, 08:09 AM
My store in Lancaster PA received some on thursday between 3:30 and 4:30, and were sold out by 8:30. They received some more on saturday, I don't know if they are sold out yet. I am waiting for my HDMI cable to come to go buy one.

machpost
Oct 3, 2010, 08:43 AM
When I called the Tysons Corner, Virginia Apple Store yesterday morning at 10 when they opened, they claimed it was in stock. They were all gone by the time I got there a half hour later. Clarendon Apple Store had maybe 2-3 in stock when I got there. They seem to be flying off the shelves.

Clusty
Oct 3, 2010, 09:33 AM
Will the stores get shipments today?

CVC
Oct 3, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hey MacProDude, thanks! None of the San Diego area Apple stores had them in stock so I tried Fry's. They had almost 40 of them. So if you can't find one at an Apple store, and you have a Fry's in your area, try there.

IrishTiger
Oct 3, 2010, 05:59 PM
I called every single apple store in Georgia today, including stores in Alabama and South Carolina and no one had it. I took a chance, went to Fry's (Duluth - Gwinnett Place Mall), and they had 3!!!! I got 2 of them! Very happy!!!!!!

alexbates
Oct 6, 2010, 02:15 PM
I'm in Georgia also. Hoping to pick up one on Friday. Anyone know if they are still sold out everywhere? Guesses if Apple would be more likely to have some in stock closer to store opening?

maturola
Oct 6, 2010, 02:18 PM
I'm in Georgia also. Hoping to pick up one on Friday. Anyone know if they are still sold out everywhere? Guesses if Apple would be more likely to have some in stock closer to store opening?

I got one form Lenox (Atlanta) this morning, genius told he they got 2 left, suppose to get more Friday.

yancey47
Oct 6, 2010, 02:27 PM
Got one today at the Mall of America in MN.

JeffLebowski41
Oct 6, 2010, 02:48 PM
My store in Lancaster PA received some on thursday between 3:30 and 4:30, and were sold out by 8:30. They received some more on saturday, I don't know if they are sold out yet. I am waiting for my HDMI cable to come to go buy one.

I picked mine up at the park city store last Friday, around 1130am. They had maybe 4-5 on the shelf, not sure about any in back. At any rate, sounds like they are getting fairly frequent shipments. I just called ahead to make sure they had it.

apunkrockmonk
Oct 6, 2010, 02:50 PM
Ran into the Eastview Mall Apple Store (Victor, NY) and bought the last two they had today at about 1pm.

josejrp
Oct 6, 2010, 10:23 PM
I went to the Fry's in Alpharetta, GA, and they had at least four Apple TVs in the Mac section two days ago...

theonekcrow
Oct 6, 2010, 10:27 PM
I got one in the Apple Store on Knox St, just north of Dallas, TX, when I was there for a media event this past weekend. They had a good amount of them, but they were going fast. There were about 10 there, when I got there to get mine. (Good thing I did too, 3 week shipping wait still for my online order, Out in Indianapolis, and Lafayette, IN too)

Moral of the story, If you want one that bad, buy one at retail and cancel your online orders, if you ordered late.

alexbates
Oct 7, 2010, 11:21 AM
I got one form Lenox (Atlanta) this morning, genius told he they got 2 left, suppose to get more Friday.

Thanks, will also pick one up at Lenox Square tomorrow :)

zed
Oct 7, 2010, 03:07 PM
I picked up one at Micro Center in Marietta earlier today. However, I just got a call from the Apple Store in Lenox letting me know that they now have them in stock.

alexbates
Oct 8, 2010, 12:53 PM
I went to Lenox (Atlanta, GA) today, and they were out of stock. Said they don't know when more would come in.

Called Perimeter Apple Store, they are out of stock, but should have more in a few days.

I asked three Apple employees at Lenox, and they all say the Apple TV is exclusive to Apple Stores, and is not sold anywhere else. How does Fry's and Micro Center sell them? Know of any other stores that may sell them?

maturola
Oct 8, 2010, 01:02 PM
I went to Lenox (Atlanta, GA) today, and they were out of stock. Said they don't know when more would come in.

Called Perimeter Apple Store, they are out of stock, but should have more in a few days.

I asked three Apple employees at Lenox, and they all say the Apple TV is exclusive to Apple Stores, and is not sold anywhere else. How does Fry's and Micro Center sell them? Know of any other stores that may sell them?

Best buy will carry them, but they don't know when they will get them, could be in weeks, could be next week