PDA

View Full Version : Imaging an iPad for rental

hondaboy945
Sep 29, 2010, 01:24 PM
My company purchased 20 iPads for renting to clients at expo events and meetings. We do full-service tradeshow IT support. A few clients want to use the iPads for registration and we have a custom app for it. What we want to do is take the 20+ iPads and plug them into our network for pushing a fresh image to the device. Does anyone know how we should go about it, or is there a current solution? Or should we develop it?

EssentialParado
Sep 29, 2010, 01:29 PM
Couldn't you setup the iPad as required then perform a backup to iTunes and then revert to that backup after each rental period is complete?

saberahul
Sep 29, 2010, 01:31 PM
My company pruchased 20 iPads for renting to clients at expo events and meetings. We do full-service tradeshow IT support. A few clients want to use the iPads for registration and we have a custom app for it. What we want to do is take the 20+ iPads and plug them into our network for pushing a fresh image to the device. Does anyone know how we should go about it, or is there a current solution? Or should we develop it?

I think what you're talking about is Network push to allow all ipads to get updated automatically. You currently cannot do that, as far as I know.

maturola
Sep 29, 2010, 01:35 PM
I think what you're talking about is Network push to allow all ipads to get updated automatically. You currently cannot do that, as far as I know.

There is an enterprise program to "push" application, but I don't think you can push updates.

blackNBUK
Sep 29, 2010, 06:59 PM
It would probably be useful to read Fraser Speirs' blog (http://speirs.org/). He is a teacher rolling out iPad's into a private school in the UK. If I remember right pushing updates and syncing was one of the major challenges that he faced.

hondaboy945
Oct 2, 2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. One client just asked to have a blank screen with just their app on it when we deliver them for rental. I believe that this can only be accomplished by jailbreaking. Is this correct. Also if we do decide to jailbreak is there an admin app that would allow me to hide settings?We have 20 iPads sitting on the shelf at the office for me on Monday. I just got back for BlackBerry DevCon 2010.

hondaboy945
Oct 2, 2010, 01:04 AM
I am researching the use of NetInstaller from my server to keep the images fresh. Will be testing this next week.