PDA

View Full Version : iPad 4.2 won't print to airprint printer

RockStarATL
Sep 30, 2010, 06:33 PM
I am running 4.2 beta 2 on my iPad. Just got today the new HP OfficeJet Pro 8500A Plus printer, which is one of the three new iOS compatible AirPrint printers. It is setup on my network. iPad nor iPhone can see it. Any ideas?

Chundles
Sep 30, 2010, 06:55 PM
It's a beta.

There's bound to be bugs and incomplete implementations of features. Submit the bugs etc. through your normal ADC account.

EDIT: That printer isn't one of the listed compatible printers.

RockStarATL
Sep 30, 2010, 07:05 PM
Yes it is:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/hp-printers-work-with-apples-ios4-airprint/

Chundles
Sep 30, 2010, 07:20 PM
Yes it is:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/hp-printers-work-with-apples-ios4-airprint/

Not on the ADC site.

RockStarATL
Sep 30, 2010, 07:28 PM
It is one of the first three AirPrint compatible printers listed in the original AirPrint press release as well.

Chundles
Sep 30, 2010, 08:16 PM
The printers listed are:

HP Photosmart Premium Fax e-All-in-One Printer series - C410
HP Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer series - C310
HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One Printer series- B210

Unless that printer is a rebrand of one of the above then it's not compatible. If it is a rebrand then I restate my initial response. It's a beta, there are bound to be bugs and incomplete implementations of features. Video streaming for AirPlay to the new AppleTV isn't working yet either.

RockStarATL
Sep 30, 2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah I'm guessing it won't work directly until closer to launch.

exileskimer
Sep 30, 2010, 09:54 PM
Yah but isn't the whole compatibilty thing just for going direct to the printer... I thought any printer works as long as its being shared through your mac

RockStarATL
Sep 30, 2010, 09:57 PM
Can't print directly even though it says it should according to HP, and it now shows as a bonjour printer through my iMac. But once I hit print, it just stays in cue and never prints.

trevorcobb
Sep 30, 2010, 10:39 PM
you need itunes 10.1 and osx 10.6.5 installed first.

MacRumorUser
Oct 1, 2010, 02:46 AM
Go onto your app store and download the HP iPrint software. It's free. It will print to that printer. Sorted until apple get AirPrint fully operational. In fact it's probable that they are referring to their own software for iPad compatability and not AirPrint which did not exist whilst that printer was being devised, manufactured & marketed.

So App Store - HP iPrint

Finally all I can say is of you are relying or getting frustrated on features in a Beta you should not have installed it, and as you did not know the ADC notes, I'm betting you are not a developer - for which the beta is intended. Your frustration is of your own making at this time.

RockStarATL
Oct 1, 2010, 04:34 AM
I'm actually a dev and an Apple dealer. I followed the notes to the T. I also bought the printer that we were told to carry as dealers.

markab
Oct 1, 2010, 05:15 AM
you need itunes 10.1 and osx 10.6.5 installed first.

Do you need both itunes 10.1 and 10.6.5 installed? I thought it was just one or the other, would explain why with only 10.1 i am not getting a printer in the list.

Do you also have to set the printer as shared on the mac?

MacRumorUser
Oct 1, 2010, 06:03 AM
From a preview of the HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus

They’re all attractive printers, and they are all technically “AirPrint-compatible” in that when AirPrint rolls down the software update pipeline, they’ll at least be shareable from your Mac. If you want a truly AirPrint compatible printer, though, best wait for a spell longer.

A heck of a lot of caveats to that.

http://www.cultofmac.com/hps-new-printers-will-print-from-ios-even-without-airprint/59999

jwilson25
Oct 1, 2010, 07:57 AM
Do you need both itunes 10.1 and 10.6.5 installed? I thought it was just one or the other, would explain why with only 10.1 i am not getting a printer in the list.

Do you also have to set the printer as shared on the mac?

My understanding and experience is that it's one or the other. I do not have the OS X beta installed because my MacBook is a depended on machine and isn't always on, which means I'd have to fire it up just to print, kinda defeats the purpose of printing off the iPad. However, I have a Windows 7 Media Center machine that runs 24/7, so I installed the iTunes 10.1 beta and I can print now from the iPad just fine through it. I do know if you're using the iTunes Beta, at least through Windows, you need to share the printer for it to show up.